• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The time is right for Sony to release a PSP3 aka. PS4 Portable

I loved the Vita, so I'd easily buy a new Sony portable, as long as it's designed well and has backwards compatibility to the digital library of the Vita.

MightyKAC

I'd like a new Sony made portable too but I honestly don't trust them to support it the way I believe they should.

The zombiefied state that the Vita is in is a disgrace and Sony is 100% to blame for that.

Before I buy any other hand held device from them I'd need assurances that wouldn't just leave it out to die on the vine.

autoduelist

Was there any exclusive games that made having a PSP or PS Vita worthwhile?

Always looked at them as multimedia devices more than anything else.

I mean, yes? It really depends on your interests though. If you like mainstream AAA games, I'm not sure you ever needed one. Sure, you'll have missed some great experiences, but nothing so unique that you would have had to buy one. Killzone Mercenaries is a great example - it's a solid, really well designed game and highly recommended to anyone who likes shooters and has a vita. But it's not like you need to go buy a Vita just for it.

Now, if you like jrpgs, drpgs, and srpgs? Go get a vita right now. You have years upon years of great games ahead of you.

Both devices have lots of hidden gems as well across a ton of genres. I still play PSP and PS1 games on my vita all the time. Actually, being a portable PS1 is a huge little plus [and I hope a PSP3/vita2 has ps2 support].

And they don't need to be 'exclusive', even though many are. I ended up rebuying around 40 games I already owned on steam on Vita, because I prefer playing on vita. I loved Hotline Miami, Binding of Isaac, etc... but I only really got into them on Vita and loved getting the plats.

Vita was, by far, my best gaming purchase ever... and I bought it going in knowing I 'hated' handhelds, because all my previous handhelds [gameboys, psps, etc] just gathered dust. But vita stole my heart, and I put tons of time into it [and still do].

Last edited:

JimboJones

A psp with off the shelf hardware should be great with full support from 3rd party publishers
The Vita was a PSP with "off the shelf hardware". Hardware wasn't a problem (well, with the exception of the pricey proprietary memory card situation) they just needed to support it better, they didn't have system sellers and they somehow let Monster Hunter go exclusive to their direct competitor.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
An xperia play 2, could really work this time , sony just need to and open up there vast portfolios that would be possible on a such a device.

MultiCore

The Vita was a PSP with "off the shelf hardware". Hardware wasn't a problem (well, with the exception of the pricey proprietary memory card situation) they just needed to support it better, they didn't have system sellers and they somehow let Monster Hunter go exclusive to their direct competitor.
The Vita was... underwhelming, even at launch. Load times were slow, graphics weren't native resolution. The OLED was the best part of that system, and even then, there was mura and burn-in.

Nvidia's Shield Portable is the closest we've seen to a really powerful off-the-shelf system, and almost nobody noticed. Now very similar hardware is in the Switch, and it's selling gangbusters.

It really is all about the software support. It's like a lot of other Japanese ventures(as I believe Nintendo's success comes from their cultural values): provide a breadth of content at all price points, and they will come. (No euphemism intended.) The 3DS has a Ton of content. The Switch is getting ports of Everything, and Nintendo is working hard to pump out exclusive high-quality software. Completely the opposite of what happened with the Wii U. (Yes, I know there were some good games on it.)

autoduelist

The Vita was... underwhelming, even at launch. Load times were slow, graphics weren't native resolution. The OLED was the best part of that system, and even then, there was mura and burn-in.

I can't say I agree with this. I mean, it was released the same year as the 3ds, and blew that out of the water... and the success of the 3ds shows that being cutting edge isn't required to begin with. I never found the vita 'underwhelming'... and I don't really remember that being the dominant opinion at launch. In fact, I thought people were pretty happy with it.

MultiCore

I can't say I agree with this. I mean, it was released the same year as the 3ds, and blew that out of the water... and the success of the 3ds shows that being cutting edge isn't required to begin with. I never found the vita 'underwhelming'... and I don't really remember that being the dominant opinion at launch. In fact, I thought people were pretty happy with it.
The people that own one will go down with the ship for it. The fact is, nobody bought the thing. It sold worse than the GameGear, and coming off the PSP, was an abject failure.

It's great that you love it, but only the people that bought it and kept it think so.
It had mediocre phone hardware with ok controls, a still atrocious storage problem, and a screen that had big pluses and minuses . PSP was a better handheld for its time.

Last edited:

Breakage

I think the Vita was over-designed. It would have been a lot better if Sony had a full DualShock button layout instead of the silly rear touch pad. The touch screen was unnecessary too.

I think most people just wanted a powerful portable PlayStation, not one with a bunch of gimmicks tacked on.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
The 3DS was on a path to failure too until Nintendo really put the effort into saving it. Sony didn't do that for the Vita (and Nintendo didn't do that for the Wii U). I agree with you though that the Vita was never underwhelming. Not sure how anyone can say that, underwhelming compared to what?

black_13

Banned
They should make a phone/PSP hybrid. I'd jump on it quick. Add some small portable controller like the switch and a VR headband and it could be awesome.

BrettWeir

With their complete disregard for the Vita, I'll stick to my Switch for portable gaming. Won't trust Sony with another handheld until at least 3 years of support has passed.

Last edited:

Shift!

The PS4 is entering its fifth year on the market, to announce a new handheld now would only alienate a bunch of fans of the brand instantaneously.
Imagine trying to sell a handheld on brand name alone, when there are not one, but two market competitors (Switch and iOS).
Combined with the timing and the nature of Sony fans, it would be a disaster if announced this Summer.

Zog

Banned
With their complete disregard for the Vita, I'll stick to my Switch for portable gaming. Won't trust Sony with another handheld until at least 3 years of support has passed.
Well that's interesting. Nintendo fought to save the 3DS but not the Wii U. So......why so much faith in Nintendo?

Shini42

I hope, that Sony would continue to focus all their efforts on a home consoles for core gamers. Nintendo with nVidia will eventually make a decent handheld (either new revision of the Switch or Switch2) without those huge bezels, with better screen, normal battery life time, etc. If you really want this kind of device, you would be better off with that one.

Zog

Banned
I hope, that Sony would continue to focus all their efforts on a home consoles for core gamers. Nintendo with nVidia will eventually make a decent handheld (either new revision of the Switch or Switch2) without those huge bezels, with better screen, normal battery life time, etc. If you really want this kind of device, you would be better off with that one.
Did Nintendo ever improve the battery life on 3DS models?

autoduelist

The people that own one will go down with the ship for it. The fact is, nobody bought the thing. It sold worse than the GameGear, and coming off the PSP, was an abject failure.

It's great that you love it, but only the people that bought it and kept it think so.
It had mediocre phone hardware with ok controls, a still atrocious storage problem, and a screen that had big pluses and minuses . PSP was a better handheld for its time.

Huh? I never argued it sold well. You said it was 'underwhelming'. That is what I responded to. You're now talking about sales... well, yeah. Sales were underwhelming, but the device was not. There were plenty of causes for the Vita's issues, but 'underwhelming' was not one of them. Stop moving goalposts.

Shini42

Did Nintendo ever improve the battery life on 3DS models?
I don't think you can apply 3ds history onto switch. Simply switching Switch to a more modern SoC (compared to 3 y.o. tegra X1) would greatly improve power efficiency with the same performance.

Modu5

Neo Member
OLED is raise the price too high. it would not be successful the price was $500+. IPS or LCD is good enough. Stick with the Vita carts for backward compatibility. Allow Micro SD and include a vita SD adapter. Sell a TV dock that will allow upscaled 4k or even true 4k and HDR.

I doubt they can use Tegra, i'm sure Nintendo has some sort of contract with nvidia to restrict sales to competitors. maybe they can work with AMD for a mobile chip.

Modu5

Neo Member
OLED is raise the price too high. it would not be successful the price was $500+. IPS or LCD is good enough. Stick with the Vita carts for backward compatibility. Allow Micro SD and include a vita SD adapter. Sell a TV dock that will allow upscaled 4k or even true 4k and HDR.

I doubt they can use Tegra, i'm sure Nintendo has some sort of contract with nvidia to restrict sales to competitors. maybe they can work with AMD for a mobile chip.

I loved my vita but sony really took a crap on it. They have amazing titles for the PSP (loved Socom) that they could of ported over but never did. and the vita propriety memory card was stupid.

MultiCore

Huh? I never argued it sold well. You said it was 'underwhelming'. That is what I responded to. You're now talking about sales... well, yeah. Sales were underwhelming, but the device was not. There were plenty of causes for the Vita's issues, but 'underwhelming' was not one of them. Stop moving goalposts.
I'm not moving anything.
The Vita had hardware barely on par with iPhones of the time, and was rapidly eclipsed. Load times were slow, which shouldn't be the case for games loading off flash. Games were not even rendering at native screen resolution. Framerate was unsteady, even with the resolution drop. On top of all that Sony absolutely gouged for memory cards, making it a total toss up on making digital worth it. This is without mentioning the 3G models. If that's what you expected for a next gen PSP, then I'm glad you got everything you wanted.

The other guy was completely correct as well, they needed a full DS2 layout, and they couldn't even get that right.

Last edited:

Frenzy-kun

Neo Member
My point of view is that a PSP3 will not be able to provide anything to compete against switch. Switch is already top notch and covers almost everything. Same way I think Nintendo has no room for a 4DS because it's basically splitting their resources into two consoles which only will hurt the user base since they will have to purchase 2 consoles. Instead of a 4DS they should release a switch lite where they adapt the console for smaller pockets.

If Sony releases a PSP3, it's going to be worse than a switch with slightly better punctual features and lack of catalog, and Nintendo can counteract extremely fast with a proper switch lite even sooner than the release of this PSP3.

I think the best chance for Sony in the handheld world is to wait. Wait for technology to leave the switch behind, both in power and features. Or let them open a new type of system based on, I don't know, cloud gaming, mobile compatibility or whatever that suits better their "I'm too cool to play mobile games" target. But right now, unless unthinkable new awesome feature, a PSP3 will only lag behind the switch, because the card of raw power is not available anymore.

swit

if Sony follows title suggestion and makes it PS4 Portable (which means full compatibility with PS4 digital library) than sure. Add PS1, PS2, PSP, Vita emulators on top of it and I will be interested. New console unrelated to PS4? No thanks.

But it's no time for it considering there are no mobile chips that could handle the task yet. Maybe at the end of PS4 lifecycle AMD will have something like this to offer. If PS5 will be backward compatible I'm expecting that the PS4 would still receive software years after new generation is launched (extended cross generation period).

Last edited:

Kagero

PSP3 can succeed. Just nail the controller and have it like for like with the dual shock, with L2 and R2 (Lay off the gimmicks). Have it be at least as powerful as the Switch so that Devs making Switch games can port over to PSP3 no problem and there's your support. This is a very good time to release the PSP3. The success of the switch is actually good for Sony, and if I was Sony. This is the only time they can release another hand held with very little risk. DO EEEET!!! SONY IF YOU'RE READING THIS YOU KNOW I'M RIGHT! They ain't reading this :(

PSP3 cannot succeed. Sony cannot pull it off. People won't trust them again even if they could nail the concept.

Their best shot was a PSP Phone / the PSP mobile game service library, but they also couldn't pull that off.

They get in their way, they half ass it, no need to go through this again.

NickFire

I doubt Sony will release another handheld anytime soon, and really don't see it making much sense for them to do it. Dedicated mobile seems to have run its course thanks to phones and tablets. They could try to copy Nintendo's hybrid approach, but I don't think they will have the same success if the new Sony machine can't run the full gamut of graphics and features in the console versions of FIFA, Madden, Duty, etc.

Pachi72

I think the best way for Sony to make a new portable is to support Nintendo Switch....make portable games on it..

Zog

Banned
I think the best way for Sony to make a new portable is to support Nintendo Switch....make portable games on it..
Joke post? I genuinely laughed.

Maybe instead of making cars. Tesla should just support their competition?

I can't wait until the Switch hype dies down because some of this Switch praising is just ridiculous.

Jodast

Revisiting this topic, I realize that Microsoft partnering with Valve and releasing an Steamboy or Xboy One that could play your entire Xbox and Steam game libraries would be vastly preferable. MS has the software emulation experitise to get the Xbox store and steam software running on either Intel or AMDs newest mobile APUs.
Minus the Xbox games and you've basically described the GPD Win series of handhelds or the (maybe) upcoming Smach Z. Handhelds running full Windows 10 (and thus full Steam) on x86 Intel and AMD SoCs respectively. There is a currently ongoing IGG crowdfunding campaign for the Win 2 here if you're interested in taking a look, or just watch some Youtube video's to see what the hardware can do.

Like I've said before on the topic, if Sony want to dabble in portable hardware they might as well do it through their mobile phones. It's too late to compete with the Switch; Nintendo already have all the momentum and an unbeatable first party lineup for the mass market. If you want power you have Windows handhelds available. If you want cheap you have Android handhelds available plus already existing mobile phones and clip on controllers. There is nothing Sony can do to truly differentiate from these other devices as a dedicated handheld, not even Indie support anymore since these devices have that market covered nicely now.

The best I can see Sony do with handhelds right now is leverage the Android gaming scene and try and fill the niche Razer tried and failed, and target their phones to premium mobile game fans. The Xperia Play might have been a spectacular failure but all of the problems in the mobile division have been fixed now. With a good clip on controller that can be easily hidden away, bringing back PSNow, a good BC/VC policy with PS1 and PSP (maybe Vita too) games alongside some strategic exclusive games or features for their phones (especially when it comes to mobile based MOBA and Battle Royale), I think Sony may just eek out a good handheld presence in the long term.

Last edited:

autoduelist

I'm not moving anything.
The Vita had hardware barely on par with iPhones of the time, and was rapidly eclipsed. Load times were slow, which shouldn't be the case for games loading off flash. Games were not even rendering at native screen resolution. Framerate was unsteady, even with the resolution drop. On top of all that Sony absolutely gouged for memory cards, making it a total toss up on making digital worth it. This is without mentioning the 3G models. If that's what you expected for a next gen PSP, then I'm glad you got everything you wanted.

The other guy was completely correct as well, they needed a full DS2 layout, and they couldn't even get that right.

Except if you read reviews of the Vita at release, nobody was complaining it was 'underwhelming'. I see you have some issue with it, and that's fine, but your original statement was that it was underwhelming at the time, and really, you're the one pushing that narrative.

If you actually read reviews, they are far from 'underwhelming'. IGN, for example, states: "The focal point of the design is the massive 5-inch OLED display, which delivers the best visuals of any handheld and even rivals the iPhone 4S’ retina display." and "The promise of the PS Vita is console-quality experiences on the go, and it delivers".

If we go to Destructiod, to pick another example, we have: "Sony has exceeded my expectations with the Vita", "Overall, looking at hardware, I don't think Sony has ever made a better device.",

Picking another, The Verge said: "The PlayStation Vita is quite simply the most desirable handheld gaming device yet released. From the beautiful display to the horsepower behind it, from the well-executed traditional controls to the new touch inputs, Sony has thought of almost everything and the result is a portable system that should be able to handle virtually any kind of game you care to mention."

The general consensus was NOT that it was underwhelming. That is NOT why it failed. You are wrong. It's okay to be wrong, and it's okay to be you. It failed for many reasons, but not the reason you seem to insist upon.

Pachi72

Nobody would buy it.
Nobody wants to end up with a dead phone at some inconvenient moment when they can't charge. Most people don't buy $500+ phones.
Dedicated handhelds have their place, as the Switch has proven.
You just need to be careful with the Bill of Materials and have rock-solid amounts of post-launch support. Sony failed in both of these cases with the Vita. If they want to try again, they have to address both of these issues simultaneously.
And stop with their
I desperately want a PSP3.

I've been saying it for years now, but it should:

1) Be BC with PS1, PSP, Vita games already bought digitally, and optionally Vita physical if adding a card reader is feasible price wise.

!2) Most important: Play digital PS2 games. Market it as a portable PS2, and they will come. I'm a little concerned about how the PS4 handled PS2, so I'd prefer the wider variety already available for PS3... but somehow, sort that out.

3) Improve remote play in any ways that advances in R&D allow.

4) Optionally, allow dual boot with android.

5) Suspend mode / battery life ala Vita is a must.

6) Video out plus sync with DS4, maybe DS3.

7) SD cards, obviously.

Biggest mistake Sony did with Vita was only having 2 shoulder buttons. If they make a new one had L2+R2

Pachi72

I
But you can go for an older chip like the 821. Which is still a very good SoC. And is now bound to be quite cheap, given that it's almost two years old.

True. The Vita's CPU/GPU run at noticeably lower speeds than their max posted.
However current SoCs are better at power conservation than older ones, meaning power consumption outside gaming is lower than in previous SoC generations. And even when downclocked they put out pretty decent performance. Besides, ultimately, a dead battery in a portable gaming device is just that. A dead battery in a phone can render you unreachable. So battery life isn't absolutely vital, as long as it's capable of at least 5 hours continuous playtime.

The SD821 has an in-built quad-channel memory controller. And it's unlikely a dedicated gaming device would come out with anything less than 4x1GB LPDDR4. So the memory bandwidth is already taken care of by the SoC manufacturer.
I think I prefer an Exynos SOC than a SD821.

Pachi72

Joke post? I genuinely laughed.

Maybe instead of making cars. Tesla should just support their competition?

I can't wait until the Switch hype dies down because some of this Switch praising is just ridiculous.
Is not a joke post because at the end of the day no third-party will support Sony's new portable if they make a new one. Sony really screwed up with a Vita.

Zog

Banned
Is not a joke post because at the end of the day no third-party will support Sony's new portable if they make a new one. Sony really screwed up with a Vita.

...and Nintendo really screwed up with the N64, Gamecube and Wii U where third parties are concerned. Do you also say that no third-party will support Nintendo's new console? Better yet, why aren't you saying that Nintendo should be making games for the PS4?

Pachi72

...and Nintendo really screwed up with the N64, Gamecube and Wii U where third parties are concerned. Do you also say that no third-party will support Nintendo's new console? Better yet, why aren't you saying that Nintendo should be making games for the PS4?
Because PS4 is not a portable. We are talking about Sony making a portable which will never happen. Nintendo is getting lots of support on Switch. And its selling like crazy. Something That didn't happen to any Sony Portables.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Because PS4 is not a portable. We are talking about Sony making a portable which will never happen. Nintendo is getting lots of support on Switch. And its selling like crazy. Something That didn't happen to any Sony Portables.
Being portable or not has no bearing on third parties. Last generation I could have said the same thing about third parties not supporting Nintendo on their next console and it would have had no basis in reality just as you don't know how well a new Sony portable will go. From my perspective Nintendo has blurred the lines between handheld and console and if Sony were to release a pure handheld (for cheaper) they may steal that which Nintendo willingly gave up.

I know you think that Nintendo is on top to stay but look back at the Wii. Remember it's first few years of success that just dropped off? Remember how Nintendo followed up the Wii with a failure?

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Sony could put out better dedicated handheld hardware and we know they can put out better console hardware.

I loved the Vita, so I'd easily buy a new Sony portable, as long as it's designed well and has backwards compatibility to the digital library of the Vita.
This! I still love the Vita, play it regularly and here (in Germany) you can't find a backup system new or used for a reasonable price... so if this little black thing squeaks its last tune, there will be no more portable Binding of Isaac for me and that will be the end of me!

A modern successor with backwards compatibility and a reasonable memory card pricing (I put 100€ out for the 60 GB this Christmas, it's not even funny) and everybody who has a Vita and loves it, would buy in. Or just sell a finnicky small Vita Go without a mem- or gamecard-slot for 200$/€ and fuck it all up again.

thelawof4

This! I still love the Vita, play it regularly and here (in Germany) you can't find...reasonable memory card pricing...

I recently bought a used PS Vita (OLED) + SD2Vita Adapter for around 110€ on eBay. There are multiple people people selling PS Vitas in perfect condition and often with the firmware ≤3.60 for HENKaku (CFW) in germany. The catalog of games available to play on the go with the modded system is just astounding and if it should die on me i can replace most parts easily.

My only gripe with Sonys handhelds can be remied with one of those controller grips imho:
I use the pdp trigger grips for remote play most of the time but when playing on the go it varies based on how i'm feeling. Without the grips its so sexy.. With them its a little less sexy but still nice.

5071641_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

Top Bottom