• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The upcoming Super Robot Wars game has Virtual On mechs

Tain

I'm a huge sucker for Virtual On. Oratorio Tangram is right up there with Third Strike for the best 2-player game you could possibly play, and there's nothing on the planet that plays like it. Something about the general look of the game gets to me, too.

So, the next Super Robot Wars (Alpha 3?) game will have VRs from Virtual On.

fei.gif

There's a 180 meg 21 minute video of the game floating around out there, and Temjin and Fei-Yen are definitely in, but I haven't seen the video yet. Seems to be down.

So, do these games have a history of sucking? Are they really just decent strategy games dipped in fan service? Or are they actually pretty good?

(gif credit Guara-guara-booyaka)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Tain said:
So, do these games have a history of sucking? Are they really just decent strategy games dipped in fan service? Or are they actually pretty good?

(gif credit Guara-guara-booyaka)

Are you kiddin'?

They're *damn* good.

Obviously the fact that we europeans (Italy, France, Spain) have grown up with Go Nagai's Robots (Mazinger, Goldrake/Grendizer, Jeeg, Getter Robot) and all the other 70s japanese roboanimation like Gundam and Daitarn 3 & Co. really adds a nostalgic layer to the game, and a pretty deep layer that is :)

So yes, it is a very good game BUT, in my opinion, the robo toppings are as importants as the game itself to really enjoy it; also there's no chance it's coming to the West so better learn japanese or go deep searchin' into Gamefaqs' dungeons :)

Tain

Alright. I'll probably look into older SNES versions before dropping the cash on this (if I do end up getting it).

The main reason I ask is because I remember playing the old Gundam turn-based strategy games on the SNES and being bored with them. I figured these were by the same developer.

These games are really cool. I am currently playing super robot wars alpha 2, and i have alpha 3 pre-ordered.

Basic game progression works like this:

Dialogue scenes ----> Mission prep -----> mission -----> battle animation ----> repeat

"dialogue" scenes with character portraits, occasional voices and crazy combined world stories (kinda like growlanser, or any US release H-game) nothing to do but read and advance text.

Mission prep is a series of menus and submenus letting you customize units, platoons (alpha 2-3) items, pilots, etc.

Mission - turn based combat, your side goes 1st, then you end turn and the enemy side goes. Each unit / platoon gets one move and one attack, or you can just attack without moving (some attacks are only available before moving) there is plenty of room for strategy and taking back movement before finalizing it etc.

When battle happens, you can view the sprite animated side view of the robots exchanging blows. SRWF was the 1st to add voice to the series, each of the characters are voiced by their original voice actor (as far as i know, im sure there are exceptions) alpha 1 was the 1st to have detailed battle animations, which have improved a hundredfold since then.

The spoiler video you saw doesnt show any of the "cool" stuff. So if you thoght that was impressive, wait till you get past the halfway point in the game.

The games are not incredibly difficult, but alpha 1 introduced a neat "SKILL point" system where you're choices and actions in battle affected the outcome and the difficulty as well as what secret robots and pilots you can get. Alpha gaiden refined that idea further, limiting the skill point aquisition to battle only, with each and every battle having an available skill point for completing an increasingly riddiculous goal (such as clearing the map before defeating the 50,000HP boss who runs away at less than 10,000HP, and you have to kill him) completing the skill point requirements makes the game harder, but gives you cooler stuff, more items, and robots you may not have been able to get on the easy paths.

Battles can be quite long, so they have a mid-battle save, which does not force you to quit. Quitting after a mid battle save gives you a nice "farewell message" by a random character from the game, fully voiced.

These games ooze love. :)

Top Bottom