• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Verge] Summer Game Fest featured no women onstage

I genuinely wonder why it's so incredibly difficult for the people who write these kinds of articles to understand that shit like this makes them and their movements look horrible.

Nitpicking, criticizing and generating outrage about every single movie, TV show, videogame or stage presentation that does not explicitly focuses on women, POC or members of the LGBTQ+ movement, or anything that simply caters to men or straight people, does not promote a message of diversity and inclusion, it does not advance their movement in a positive way, it just makes people feel like nothing will ever be good enough.

It makes it seem like even engaging with them in the first place is an exercise in futility.

The gaming industry, among many others, has made so many wonderful strides these last few years, and there is so much more representation and diversity, and yet people like this just seem to become even more negative and extremist in their beliefs.

Can they not see that endless outrage about everything is not helping? Can we not be a bit more level-headed about this, celebrate the strides that were made whilst moving forward in a positive direction, and not assume that everything that is not explicitly about them is problematic, bigoted and rooted in hate?

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Oh hey, a thread about an Ash Parrish article.

You know what that means!

That's right, a mandatory link to Ash Parrish's best contribution to video game journalism.
YnhCOnM.gif

Man, these cretins want to run this industry and others, and they're succeeding!

opZTvFF.gif

K2D

Banned
Where are all the women spearheading for industry showcases and award shows?

Edit: I.e I'd like to see someone (man, woman, whatever) do what Keighly does, because he's practically an anomaly. People should either cheer him on, or one up him. Instead we've got people putting him down to score bullshit social credit score.

Waiting GIF

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
New rule: If you want to criticize someone or something for not including enough women, you have to be able to define what a woman is. You must also understand what circular logic is, and why you should never use it.
She obviously can’t. She just assumed their genders.

Ash Parrish

How Dare You Greta GIF

mcjmetroid

Thanks to the OP for the archived link because these fringe websites are getting desperate

On topic... honestly... I didn't notice.. but some of the usual language:

"representation".....like you're women .....not a sports team that needs to be advertised? What is this language?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I kept tryin to tell u guys it was a better show than last year but yall just kept whining even tho this is objectively the best year for gaming since 2017. Smell the roses and appreciate the present for once.

Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News

mcjmetroid

I kept tryin to tell u guys it was a better show than last year but yall just kept whining even tho this is objectively the best year for gaming since 2017. Smell the roses and appreciate the present for once.

Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News
Honestly I think stage shows don't work. People become very bored very fast and have little to no attention span and they tend to judge the show AS A SHOW rather than what was announced.

I think in terms of gaming announcements and first time footage this was a very good show but the actual presentation could do with some improvements but it probably has to be padded out to 2 hours.

This is not to mention articles like the one above which just cause massive headaches that wouldn't be there with an edited video.

The directs and showcases are a much better idea overall I think.

Lunarorbit

This is ash parrish's thing. Get angry about representation and write articles about it. Kotaku and it's writers are shamefully hypocritical.

jm89

I can't even remember half the people who were on stage, most the time i was like please just show me the game. Heck most the people on stage didn't even need to be on there, like the guy from insomniac.

Me, myself and I was also not represented, I am in therapy now because of that.

Do these people really have to obsess with all their labels and cancel threats in the name of perverted inclusion over every BS?

Where there enough Chinese, Indians, Nigerians, Brazilians to represent the world's demographics?
Enough atheists, Muslims, satanists?
Enough bigots, wife beaters, racists?
Enough legasthenics, sociopaths, professional athletes?
Either we do actual representation or we do some proper batshit insane uno reverse fascism. Instead of what actually happened and should happen: People selling products.
WTF has any of that to do with what they are supposed to represent? The games, the developers of those, just be a PR spokesma... er...sorrrrryy... spokespeople. No matter what they are as a person, what they belief, what crimes they might have done or will and whatnot, they are supposed to represent first and foremost a product and not themselves? Even Nic Cage did not actually represent himself on stage. He just sold something, something with his face in it. In his particular case he of course was the best choice but so were probably the other people that were not chosen to fill some arbitrary dumb quota.

StueyDuck

Games media gotta games media

So the verge is gonna get the axe when?

We've won the fight against vice/waypoint. Kotaku can't be much further behind

Top Bottom