• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things you would change in a franchise or game to make it playable for you?

Myths

Got me thinking from the other thread of franchises or games you don’t give a fuck about it.

What changes in a specific game or franchise would have to be made or would you’d like to see to make it playable for you?

I get certain parts of a game or franchise makes it exactly what it is, but i think it’s more interesting how they would be changed to make them approachable for others.

Fbh

From the games I mentioned in that thread:

Monster Hunter: Can only comment on 3 Ultimate since it's the only one I played: Vastly increase the number and variety of materials dropped by each monster, remove all the minerals and bugs and all the stuff that isn't dropped by monsters, reduce armor sets to just: Helmet, torso, legs, make it so building your village is done with the money you get from hunts instead of having to go to a different type of hunt to gather a different currency.

Pokemon: Bring the production values up to what you'd expect from a 2020+ flagship RPG franchise: better visuals, better level design, better animations, voice acting, etc. Either make the story enjoyable or make it very light on story, add difficulty options

MMO's like FFXIV: Have a streamlined offline version. Drastically reduce grinding and rebalance it all for solo play (or possibly 3-4 player coop) and so I can enjoy the story in 40-80 hours. No monthly fee.

NahaNago

Unscrew those people.

Put an easy mode for Fromsoft games

Third person for cyberpunk 2077 as a starting point.

Get rid of climbing in Uncharted games. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

super smash bros always has a story mode or at least a small comic for each character.

Got me thinking from the other thread of franchises or games you don’t give a fuck about it.

What changes in a specific game or franchise would have to be made or would you’d like to see to make it playable for you?

I get certain parts of a game or franchise makes it exactly what it is, but i think it’s more interesting how they would be changed to make them approachable for others.
Botw weapon breaking system, the thread lol

Mmh...maybe Pokèmon, i'd want 2d back so much 😢 for some reason, 3d doesn't excite me at all

I'd add a solo queue playlist for 4v4 matching games in Halo, where all teams would be made up of non-grouped players. It's a desperately needed playlist to give solo players a break from full teams that mop the floor with everyone they play against. I'd also add a mercy quit option for teams down by more than one player, so people don't lose experience or rank for quitting out of game they'd never win anyway. That would be my go-to playlist if it existed, but nobody listens to moonman...

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
If Fortnite added a mode that removed building I would probably play it.

I just can't stand people building when I'm in combat.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Open world has gotten better everyone use to complain about linear games but I think there’s a balance between the two.

SSfox

I don't have this way of thinking, if i don't like a game then i just don't play it, sometimes i disagree with devs but i respect their decisions and it's their game so it should be the way they wanted it to be.

If i like the game then good.

That being said now thinking about it, i would probably never played Skyrim if it didn't have 3rd person view.

Bring back Amy Hennig to Naughty Dog and fire Cuckman
Amy >>>>> Neil, i totally agree with that.

Kupfer

CoD Modern Warfare (Warzone) - real hardcore.

-no stupid jumping / sliding
-realistic stamina, so no unlimited climbing, vaulting and sprinting
-real weapon stats (bullet drop is way too strong and velocity way too slow)
-no HUD
-no armor plates, and if armorplates, they should only absorb damage if they are hit
-no stupid skins
-no killstreaks
-no tacticool equipment a soldier has no access to
-realistic bullet penetration and damage (headshot, even with a 9mm, is basically deadly)

So, in fact I want DayZ Royale but none of my friends would play this.

Last edited:

SinDelta

Final Fantasy XIV - Single Player, no MMO subscription
Fate Grand Order - Remove Gatcha mechanics
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Remove Silent Realms, remove back tracking same three regions, replace the Imprisoned, bring in different bosses for the temples, bring back magic
Mass Effect 3 - Flesh out side quests, overhaul ending to reflect your choices and decision over the trilogy.
Dragon Age Inquisition - Remove MMO bloat in regions, sidequests. Overhaul magic to be as versatile and powerful as Origins. Remove War table timers. You can take direct part in the best War Table missions instead of reading some snippet.

Last edited:

Myths

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Remove Silent Realms, remove back tracking same three regions, replace the Imprisoned, bring in different bosses for the temples, bring back magic
Mass Effect 3 - Flesh out side quests, overhaul ending to reflect your choices and decision over the trilogy.
Dragon Age Inquisition - Remove MMO bloat in regions, sidequests. Overhaul magic to be as versatile and powerful as Origins. Remove War table timers. You can take direct part in the best War Table missions instead of reading some snippet.
I would love an offline, single player campaign mode to a lot of MMO’s (and yes that would defeat the ‘O’ part in part) but hey... that’s what this thread is about.

I don't have this way of thinking, if i don't like a game then i just don't play it, sometimes i disagree with devs but i respect their decisions and it's their game so it should be the way they wanted it to be.

If i like the game then good.

That being said now thinking about it, i would probably never played Skyrim if it didn't have 3rd person view.

Amy >>>>> Neil, i totally agree with that.
This thread sets out to discuss aspects of series, whether they’re inherently a part of the identity/key characteristic or a minor short-term flaw that could be remedied to make it playable for you. Your example is acceptable. 🤝

Last edited:
For every 15+ hour game with a story:

- Easily accessible refresher tutorial for games you return to months after abandoning them half-way through.

- A 4-hour mode that selects the best and most interesting missions/levels of a game (maybe with cutscenes that catch you up on what you’re skipping)

Last edited:

SSfox

I would love an offline, single player campaign mode to a lot of MMO’s (and yes that would defeat the ‘O’ part in part) but hey... that’s what this thread is about.

This thread sets out to discuss aspects of series, whether they’re inherently a part of the identity/key characteristic or a minor short-term flaw that could be remedied to make it playable for you. Your example is acceptable. 🤝
Yeah i understand, it just that personally i've never though on something like that, like changing a game to please me, either i like a game or not, tho i remember back then that there is no way i have bought Skyrim if i didn't hear that it had a 3rd person view option.

ksdixon

I would like a better TLOU2 story. The gameplay I'd fire, hope the MP is, but I feel like I got next to nothing. I paid £60 to try and ensure the TLOU2 MP got made.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Single player games need to stop being America Ninja Warrior courses where you can try again unlimted times.

They need to become more garden esque simulations where choice leads to different outcomes.

FeldMonster

I'd add a solo queue playlist for 4v4 matching games in Halo, where all teams would be made up of non-grouped players. It's a desperately needed playlist to give solo players a break from full teams that mop the floor with everyone they play against. I'd also add a mercy quit option for teams down by more than one player, so people don't lose experience or rank for quitting out of game they'd never win anyway. That would be my go-to playlist if it existed, but nobody listens to moonman...
  • This season in Halo 5 (Winter 2021), there is literally a ranked playlist called "Solo/Duo Queue Team Arena (composed of Slayer, Capture the Flag, Oddball, and Strongholds.
  • I agree strongly about a Mercy Quit option. In an unbalanced match, upon death, you should be able to vote "Concede Match". Once the majority of players concede, the match would end as if it had ended normally, no penalties, and normal rewards/XP, etc.
  • As someone who loves Halo (for multiplayer, not a big fan of Halo campaigns), what Halo needs, and has needed for YEARS, is bot multiplayer.

Nier Automata not requiring multiple playthroughs, still waiting to start my first one but I'm dreading in since I don't feel like playing through it a couple of times for the whole story.

• This season in Halo 5 (Winter 2021), there is literally a ranked playlist called "Solo/Duo Queue Team Arena (composed of Slayer, Capture the Flag, Oddball, and Strongholds.
  • I agree strongly about a Mercy Quit option. In an unbalanced match, upon death, you should be able to vote "Concede Match". Once the majority of players concede, the match would end as if it had ended normally, no penalties, and normal rewards/XP, etc.
  • As someone who loves Halo (for multiplayer, not a big fan of Halo campaigns), what Halo needs, and has needed for YEARS, is bot multiplayer.
The duo queue team arena playlist I didn't know about. I haven't played Halo 5 in a while, maybe in over a year or more. But it sounds great.

I have mixed feelings about bot multiplayer. Though I'd be willing to give it a go of it was ever implemented.

Wind Waker- Reduce the size of the world by 30 to 40% So much waisted space in that game.
Any game with a horde mode. Give us the option for A.I controlled bots.
Uncharted. Better A.I. Those games on crushing is a joke.

For all those saying From software games should have an easy mode. You shouldn't be playing those games then.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
JRPGs - Adult characters with adult themes. People who played these things in the 80s and 90s are in their 30s-50s now and might still enjoy them if they weren't targeted towards preteens.

Assassins Creed - Reduce game length and bloat so it takes about 30-40 hours to get a satisfying ending.

MMORPGs - No grinding. Making it a chore to get to content so to make people keep their subs is counterproductive. I won't start a game that will basically demand hours and hours each week to make progress, but if I feel like I am getting new content each time I play for a couple of hours here and there I might be more willing to try more of them.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
For all those saying From software games should have an easy mode. You shouldn't be playing those games then.
Why do you care? If all that would take is dialing a few knobs down, and would not effect the normal mode, why do you care if some think they would enjoy it and would buy the games?

Why do you care? If all that would take is dialing a few knobs down, and would not effect the normal mode, why do you care if some think they would enjoy it and would buy the games?
The difficulty is what makes the games good. They shouldn't even consider a an easy mode. There are plenty of other games that can be played that are easy. Once from software puts in an easy mode they lose what makes the games special. Going off that if you do want a soulsbourne game with an easy mode option Star wars fallen order is good and has one.

NahaNago

I really would like a Final Fantasy XI offline version. For FFXIV I can understand right now why they don't do the offline version since they are still making millions of dollars a month with the subscription.

FeldMonster

The duo queue team arena playlist I didn't know about. I haven't played Halo 5 in a while, maybe in over a year or more. But it sounds great.

I have mixed feelings about bot multiplayer. Though I'd be willing to give it a go of it was ever implemented.
To be completely honest, having played it the past few days, I didn't notice any difference in intensity. Lots of duos that were partied up, so there was certainly some level of communication and coordination going on. I don't know you skill level, but mine is quite low (usually hover between Gold 6 - Platinum 1), and I was regularly the lowest ranked player on either team, lots of Diamonds, so the playlist population isn't particularly high. So, "your mileage may vary."

There are a lot of advantages if we could have bot multiplayer (and I want advanced, human like behavior, both skilled play and mistakes). No more receiving rude messages after a match, the ability to tweak the difficulty level for the level of challenge you are seeking, easy way to "warm up", no quitters, no lagging "Agent Smith" enemies, and it would make it easy to get my PVP-shy friends into the Arena. They spend all this time making a campaign that people like me play once? twice?, when something like bots like would have a huge return on investment in terms of engagement.

Last edited:

Duchess

Nier Automata not requiring multiple playthroughs, still waiting to start my first one but I'm dreading in since I don't feel like playing through it a couple of times for the whole story.
The playthroughs are all actually quite different, so it feels like you're playing extensions of the main game, rather than the same one over and over again.

Ar¢tos

Unscrew those people.

Put an easy mode for Fromsoft games

Third person for cyberpunk 2077 as a starting point.

Get rid of climbing in Uncharted games. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

super smash bros always has a story mode or at least a small comic for each character.

YEAH!
And increase the number of summons to 4 + 1 NPC, and remove invasions!!
Once you "see" enemy attack patterns the difficulty becomes so meaningless that adding an easy mode would just make the games a snorefest.
If Wasting 30 seconds seconds to study an enemy is too much to ask, just spam magic.
If even that is too much for intellectually challenged people, then summon someone to kill the enemies for you.

Make far cry linear.
Remove the stupid announcers from Forza horizon 4 (never tried the previous games in the series)... And make a regular menu instead of an open world

Etc.

OrionNebula

Every (possible) game should be able to choose from either first and third person mode, according to preference

I get sick after 40 mins playing most fps 😕🤮 So I’m missing out on A LOT

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The stupid-ass leveling mechanics in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. TL;DR if you play the way the game asks you to play, you end up with permanently gimped stats. If you want to play optimally you have to play in a totally counter-intuitive and annoying way.

It’s been a long time so I don’t remember every detail, but the gist of it is you choose your “primary skills” at the beginning. Gaining a total of 10 levels in your primary skills means you gain a character level, at which point you choose 3 stats to boost.

So you’re thinking “well I’ll just choose the skills I want to focus on as my primary ones” right? Well then you’re screwed by the stat boosting mechanic. Basically each skill is associated with a stat. So e.g. archery is tied to dexterity. In order to gain the max +5 bonus at level-up, you have to gain 10 levels in skills associated with that stat since your last character level.

What this all means is that if you gain too many levels in your primary skills without gaining enough in your non-primary ones, you gain character levels too fast and gain shitty stat boosts because of it.

The optimal way to play is;
- choose as your primary skills ones that are easy to level “on demand”, but that you won’t accidentally over-level when you don’t intend to (e.g. repair and crafting skills, acrobatics, etc)
- make sure you gain just enough levels in your non-primary skills in order to get the +5 in whatever 3 stats you want to boost at level up
- then use your primary skills in order to gain your next character level

Fucking ruined my enjoyment of that game. Instead of playing however you choose and growing naturally, you end up micromanaging the shit out of it.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I’ll still play every Paper Mario game I can or have the console for, but I would bring the series where it ought to be

Intelligent Systems needs to consider:

-Bringing back RPG elements
-Letting go of the simplicity model; make the games tougher
-Greatly increasing the size of the levels as well as the entire overworld
-Bringing back partners and increasing the number of meaningful allies that contribute in powerful ways in Mario’s adventure
-Taking more risks with NPCs and story in general. Adding more depth to characters, a lot more depth
-Adding around 5x-8x the amount of secrets (quality secrets) to the overworld

The best course would be to take a page from Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario and then go from there. Intelligent Systems really needs to go back to the basics before they water down this series any further than it’s been already

Soodanim

Gold Member
Resident Evil
No more bundled online games nobody asked for, rewrite history replace them with a remake of Outbreak. Support it with extra missions and add the game modes of these side games as extra modes in something that's already built up with proper characters.

sublimit

Banned
I don't like to ask for long established franchises to change in order to cater to my own preferences as a gamer. That's not fair to the people who supported those franchises all those years and want their favorite games to still keep their identities. So just like i don't like it when that happens to franchises i love same goes for franchises that i don't like but other people do.

However there are games that i used to love and have "lost their way" that i would like to see them return to their roots. And the first that comes to mind is Tomb Raider. There's a long list of what i would change. Simpler more stylistic graphics,emphasis on precise platforming,less emphasis on combat,more meaningful exploration and better level designs similar to those of the classics and a badass and confident Lara with a posh English accent and sarcastic humor.

Of course i know that will never happen at least as long as Crystal Dynamics is still clinging on to the franchise.

vewn

They had this figured out like 15 years ago where a full squad would only match with full squads.

Remove sprint from Halo 5, increase base speed and fix the nades - perfect game right there.

NinjaBoiX

For every 15+ hour game with a story:

- Easily accessible refresher tutorial for games you return to months after abandoning them half-way through.
This is a good one, there could even be an automated message if it’s been more than a month or so since you played.

Dark Star

Easy mode on a Dark Souls game would basically be the option to start with a high strength/dex/vitality/endurance character (like a level 50 quality build, OP weapon and shield included).

The character would have to wear an unremovable chicken outfit the whole game, though, and NPC's and bosses will have dialogue that makes fun of them. Co-op will be brutal too :p

51K7G3GEO3L._AC_UY445_.jpg

"HUEHUEHUEHUE GIT GUD, SCRUB!"

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Well, considering Konami yeeted Kojima's ass out of the company, a new Metal Gear Solid game without him involved might be interesting.
Maybe the series can finally be worth playing for once.

Myths

Another one for me is the Tales of series, the art style would have to be different for it to appeal more as far as graphics is concerned. I’m sure gameplay mechanics, it probably holds up reliably.

I don't like to ask for long established franchises to change in order to cater to my own preferences as a gamer. That's not fair to the people who supported those franchises all those years and want their favorite games to still keep their identities. So just like i don't like it when that happens to franchises i love same goes for franchises that i don't like but other people do.

However there are games that i used to love and have "lost their way" that i would like to see them return to their roots. And the first that comes to mind is Tomb Raider. There's a long list of what i would change. Simpler more stylistic graphics,emphasis on precise platforming,less emphasis on combat,more meaningful exploration and better level designs similar to those of the classics and a badass and confident Lara with a posh English accent and sarcastic humor.

Of course i know that will never happen at least as long as Crystal Dynamics is still clinging on to the franchise.
I see where you’re going with this, but the argument could be said to be entirely relative to a person’s point of entry. For newer games, maybe it appealed to the newer player and for them they wouldn’t want to see the series “regress” either. Maybe they’d be watching on the side for a while until necessary changes had been made to provide more incentive for them to give it a shot.

Ultimately, it just goes both ways whether you’re a newcomer or veteran patron. It’s why I find this to be a very interesting topic had.

Top Bottom