• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This medium would be so much more advanced if everything were F2P...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guilty_AI

It's really simple.

Would you rather pay for your check at the end of your meal, when you're certain you're satisfied?

or

Would you rather pay for your check before you take your first bite of food, no refunds?

Obviously, the former leads to a better dining experience but you people are so ingrained in your ways that you can't see the light.
Wait, you know you're obligated to pay for the meal even if you didn't like it all that much, right?

Tams

Classic Reaction GIF
Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
We both know you’re just making shit up now because 90% of ticket buyers don’t walk out in the first place since they know exactly what they’re getting when buying the tickets. No one goes to a Taylor Swift concert and suddenly has buyer’s remorse expecting heavy metal music and all the associated theatrics.

There's an exponentially higher degree of certainty of what you're getting at a concert than a game like Baldur's Gate 3. Taylor Swift tours the country every 2 years. We have access to her discography. We know what she's going to sound like.

Larian Studios makes a game once every 6 years. They're the snake oil salesman that thinks "These bafoons probably forgot how they failed to finish DOS2. We can probably take their money again."

You guys never contemplated why story DLC is so rare in AAA single player? It's because you're all taking the Pepsi challenge and you don't realize it. Most people don't want more of what they got. They want the idea of something new. They want the lotto ticket.

Hugare

Knew who was the OP before even entering the thread

Every post, every thread of his have been the same point being made over and over again: singleplayer bad, multiplayer good

Imagine having this opinion right after BG 3 launched

Look, not every game can be Fornite or Destiny. See how many are trying and how many are failing.

Every company wants player retention to keep the money coming in, but I dont want to keep playing the same 5-6 online games forever

I'm perfectly fine with paying $70 bucks to have a huge amount of content that once I'm done, I'm done

Diversity is the spice of life. You can have your BG 3 and keep playing you "Derivative GAAS game N# 9756" that some company will launch next week if you want to.

Not every game has to be online, not every game has to be GAAS, and etc.

I_D

You know how people have gigantic backlogs that they'll never play?
Those games weren't free. They cost money. Mind you, they were on-sale, which is why they were purchased in the first place; but, still, they cost money.
And yet, they'll never be played, despite being paid for.

Now imagine how your backlog would look if games were free.

Guilty_AI

You guys never contemplated why story DLC is so rare in AAA single player? It's because you're all taking the Pepsi challenge and you don't realize it. Most people don't want more of what they got. They want the idea of something new. They want the lotto ticket.
Failed to finish? Arx was one of the best levels in the game.

Meicyn

Gold Member
There's an exponentially higher degree of certainty of what you're getting at a concert than a game like Baldur's Gate 3. Taylor Swift tours the country every 2 years. We have access to her discography. We know what she's going to sound like.

Larian Studios makes a game once every 6 years. They're the snake oil salesman that thinks "These bafoons probably forgot how they failed to finish DOS2. We can probably take their money again."

You have yet to use “snake oil” correctly. Larian is not advertising their game as a miracle cure for boredom.

Nope. If you don't eat your food, restaurants don't force you to pay.
lmao

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You know how people have gigantic backlogs that they'll never play?
Those games weren't free. They cost money. Mind you, they were on-sale, which is why they were purchased in the first place; but, still, they cost money.
And yet, they'll never be played, despite being paid for.

Now imagine how your backlog would look if games were free.

It wouldn't be considered a backlog if they were free.

The idea of a backlog is this..."I paid for all these games I never got around to finishing. I really should go back and try to complete some of them."

If everything is free, there's no obligation to go back and complete anything. We only think this way because we wasted so much money on games we thought we were going to like, but never did.

Soltype

I think it's a grift. To be selling a full priced game that will be heaved upon 90% of players backlogs like a cheap trinket.

The media tells us it's a 96 Metascore, GotY quality game, and the vast majority of it's players will get too bored by it to bother finishing it.

Remove you from your money before you get bored. That's the snake oil. There's something deeply toxic about this payment model and marketing blitz.
So you can only enjoy things if you finish them, or you only get your money's worth if you finish them, I'm not sure where you're coming from.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Baldur's Gate 3 is a huge commercial and critical success. Yet, it doesn't have a chance at having a respectable completion rate. (Divinity: Original Sin 2 only has a 11.5% completion rate)

Why? Because Larian Studios main operative is to extract $70 dollars from people before they play the game. Once they have you're money, they don't care how much time you spend with it. Beat it, drop it, they don't care. Baldur's Gate 3 is pure FOMO hype at this point. It's the talk of the town that everyone wants to be a part of, but in two weeks, the pink cloud of mist vapor that is currently circling everyone's head will dissipate and the crowd will move on to the next shiny object. Notice, all the people who say "Games should be shorter. Give me a solid 10 - 15 hours SP game. That's all we really want" are silent right now.

The completion rate for Baldur's Gate III is going to be pitiful because most players will grow bored of it before completing it.

Why do you guys put up with this? The incentive structure is not set up to benefit the player.

Can you imagine how much better Baldur's Gate 3 would be if Larian Studios primary objective was to get players to love PLAYING their game, rather than to love BUYING their game?

074c0d4d4c983fbfa034d6af25a430de.jpg
fu middle finger GIF

F2P?!?

Hello EA henchman

Do you dream of MTX?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Laugh all you want, but it's the truth.

If you take a few bites of your meal, and aren't satisfied, you can tell your server that you're not happy with it and you won't be charged. It doesn't happen often, because restaurants are incentivized to make their customers leave full and happy. Larian Studio's is incentivized to take your money and stop giving a **** about you immediately after.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So you can only enjoy things if you finish them, or you only get your money's worth if you finish them, I'm not sure where you're coming from.

You pay for an 80 hour RPG.

You get 20 hours of "It was good, I guess? I stopped playing because other things came up."

How many people are trudging through a mediocre experience because they plopped down 70 dollars for it? I bought this game. Everyone is saying it's good. Maybe if I just keep pushing through it'll reveal itself to me.

F2P does not reward "trudging through gameplay" like PBP does. In F2P, if the player isn't having fun, they aren't playing.

I_D

It wouldn't be considered a backlog if they were free.

The idea of a backlog is this..."I paid for all these games I never got around to finishing. I really should go back and try to complete some of them."

If everything is free, there's no obligation to go back and complete anything. We only think this way because we wasted so much money on games we thought we were going to like, but never did.

Do you understand the "4000 channels, but nothing's on" reference?
If you are, that will probably explain why this idea doesn't really work.

If you're not...
It's kinda like being a spoiled kid. When you have everything and anything, nothing looks appealing.

But, even worse, because everything doesn't look appealing, the industry shifts to making things not actually appealing. It simply isn't worth the time/money to make things actually worthwhile. Just look at the cellphone-game market. It's 99% trash. Steam suffers from the same thing, though to a lesser extent.
So then you end up with a lose-lose situation. Even great games don't catch your attention, and then most games just turn into shovel-ware.

I agree that, in a perfect world, a F2P system would be fantastic. Unfortunately, we don't live in such a world.

Quezacolt

Jesus Christ.... If you're not trolling, a ban from this forum wouldnt be enough, you should be banned from gaming in general.
This was one of the dumbest posts i've read this year.
You could have said something like "why doesn't Larian release a demo, to see if people enjoy the game before buying?". But no, you had to mention F2P.
You know what 99.9% of F2P games have in common? They are predatory. they want your money and they will put barrier after barrier to see if you will spend any money on them. there's always something, like extra stuff, better charcters/gear, skins.
i'd rather just pay for a game once and know everything there i can get by just playing normally.

Meicyn

Gold Member
So what's the problem with the game then? And how is it a problem for you?
The issue is that OP views the world in quantifiable, transactional terms. I can’t fathom living in such a manner, but min-maxing is how some folks get through day to day.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So what's the problem with the game then? And how is it a problem for you?

I suspect the vast majority of Baldur's Gate 3 player won't finish the game due to boring game mechanics.

I suspect most of those players won't even enjoy playing the 20 hours they do play all that much.

Baldur's Gate 3 is a lottery ticket. We buy the game because we like the idea of Baldur's Gate 3. We're all susceptible to FOMO and marketing.

I'm advocating for better game design through healthier profit incentives.

Azurro

Banned
"Do you want to continue to the next chapter? 10 EUR please"
"Here are the upgrades for your weapons and armour. 5 EUR each please."
"Want to fight this special enemy? 5 EUR please"

Nice trolling though Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes

Kindela

Banned
He's right to a degree. A lot of gamers buy games, day 1/week 1 at least, due to hype and fomo. And most of them don't finish the games they buy apparently.

If finishing a game is an important measure of your enjoyment of it, than this would imply that most people didn't enjoy it. At least not enough. And if a lot of those people did the same thing with dos 2, as I am sure they did, it means they haven't learned from their mistakes.

On the other hand, if finishing a game is not that important to you, you might say you still enjoyed it and got your money's worth despite not finishing the game.

But I think that most people are just too overloaded with entertainment sources these days, and they do actually just want another hype, new shiny thing and they completely forgotten about dos 2 and bg3 in a week or two.

So yeah, OP is on point actually. Congrats man.

reinking

Gold Member
Baldur's Gate 3 is a huge commercial and critical success. Yet, it doesn't have a chance at having a respectable completion rate. (Divinity: Original Sin 2 only has a 11.5% completion rate)

Why? Because Larian Studios main operative is to extract $70 dollars from people before they play the game. Once they have you're money, they don't care how much time you spend with it. Beat it, drop it, they don't care. Baldur's Gate 3 is pure FOMO hype at this point. It's the talk of the town that everyone wants to be a part of, but in two weeks, the pink cloud of mist vapor that is currently circling everyone's head will dissipate and the crowd will move on to the next shiny object. Notice, all the people who say "Games should be shorter. Give me a solid 10 - 15 hours SP game. That's all we really want" are silent right now.

The completion rate for Baldur's Gate III is going to be pitiful because most players will grow bored of it before completing it.

Why do you guys put up with this? The incentive structure is not set up to benefit the player.

Can you imagine how much better Baldur's Gate 3 would be if Larian Studios primary objective was to get players to love PLAYING their game, rather than to love BUYING their game?

074c0d4d4c983fbfa034d6af25a430de.jpg
If you really believe what you posted then I agree... ...You are taking crazy pills. F2P is not designed to get you to PLAY their games. It is designed to EXTRACT MONEY from you while you are playing their games.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
"Do you want to continue to the next chapter? 10 EUR please"
"Here are the upgrades for your weapons and armour. 5 EUR each please."
"Want to fight this special enemy? 5 EUR please"

Nice trolling though Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes

It is truly insane how breaking Baldur's Gate 3 down into 7 chapters, at $10 dollars a piece, isn't viewed as objectively more player friendly.

This is Patty Hearst levels of Stockholm Syndrome. I must help you, friend.

Guilty_AI

But I think that most people are just too overloaded with entertainment sources these days, and they do actually just want another hype, new shiny thing and they completely forgotten about dos 2 and bg3 in a week or two.

So yeah, OP is on point actually. Congrats man.
nah, DOS2 was still some of the most played games on steam years after launch. BG3 will be too.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If you really believe what you posted then I agree... ...You are taking crazy pills. F2P is not designed to get you to PLAY their games. It is designed to EXTRACT MONEY from you while you are playing their games.

Hard to extract money from someone who isn't playing your game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom