• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thought Experiment #5: You're tasked to create a new genre of game? What do you come up with?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Sup guys n gals,

So I was thinking about PUBG a bit and though I know it wasn't the first BR game, it did popularize battle royale. I said to myself, BR is generally a shooter/survival/looter game, but with co-op and adversarial multiplayer on a large scale.

So I imagined what if I were to make a new genre of game. Like PUBG this could be a subgenre like a battle royale or something never done before.

It dawned on me. I've always want to play through the likes of Skyrim in co-op in a persistent online world. Before you say it, not like Elder Scrolls Online. That's an MMO. I don't want an MMO. I just want to be able to go through SKYRIM in co-op. I know this sounds like not much of a "genre". I mean it's basically an RPG with 2-4 people playing. But the way this would work would be like a race for dominance of the realm that would take place over the normal 80 or so hours it would take to finish the game. The quests would be require characters of specific skill sets to clear. Think...Lord of the Rings...when Gandalf had to step in and take down that fire beast all while like "YOUUU SHALL NOT PAAAAAAAAHHHHHSSS". Like, who else is doing that...Legolas?...pshhh no.
Overall it would be about you and your friends banding together to complete an epic story using your unique skills and requiring teamwork to move forward.

It's just a twinkle in my eye at this point but that's the gist of it. This is, admittedly, a mind bending thought experiment. Hell, I don't even know what to call my co-op RPG with them RTS feels. But thats the fun of it, I think.

I'm interested to see if you guys can come up with your own ideas or if that seems to be a bit too much of a challenge, feel free to help me flesh out mine. Give it a got damn name to start LOL.

kingbean

I don't think I'm smart enough to come up with a new genre but I would love to see a physics based mech game were you can design your own parts.

It would be an open map with different locations in various stages of battle and you would recover like a nano-gel that would let you free-form make parts and they would have to work in a physics based environment.

Gameplay would be older, slowish armored core with Just Cause 2-3 levels of freedom.

Just a thought.

As far as a name goes, idk.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I've always wanted to see a Hackey Sack game. Back in the day I had ideas about it working similar to a Tony Hawk game. I really enjoyed doing crazy combos in that game, and thought the manual balance mechanic could be used in conjunction with motion commands for special moves a la Street Fighter.

So you'd get the ball up and moving, then you'd have to keep the balance beam under control just like the TH manuals, and then maybe a Jester move could be a Shoryuken command, you throw that out and then back to adjusting the balance, then go for more moves, etc.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't think I'm smart enough to come up with a new genre but I would love to see a physics based mech game were you can design your own parts.

It would be an open map with different locations in various stages of battle and you would recover like a nano-gel that would let you free-form make parts and they would have to work in a physics based environment.

Gameplay would be older, slowish armored core with Just Cause 2-3 levels of freedom.

Just a thought.

As far as a name goes, idk.

They had a game that was kiiiinda like that. An indie game. I can't remember that name at the moment. Your idea reminds me a bit of chromehounds, but you're saying you design you're own parts and I think that would be really interesting. Kinda like Battle Bots but with mechs. Good idea!

I've always wanted to see a Hackey Sack game. Back in the day I had ideas about it working similar to a Tony Hawk game. I really enjoyed doing crazy combos in that game, and thought the manual balance mechanic could be used in conjunction with motion commands for special moves a la Street Fighter.

So you'd get the ball up and moving, then you'd have to keep the balance beam under control just like the TH manuals, and then maybe a Jester move could be a Shoryuken command, you throw that out and then back to adjusting the balance, then go for more moves, etc.

I lack the fortitude, balance and bodily control for hackey sack myself but I could see this working. I could see it like playing a game of horse in basketball. "Be like me" or "Simon" essentially. Somebody would pull off some crazy combo and you'd have to copy it and then add 5 seconds of tricks to it.

Nymphae

Banned
I lack the fortitude, balance and bodily control for hackey sack myself but I could see this working. I could see it like playing a game of horse in basketball. "Be like me" or "Simon" essentially. Somebody would pull off some crazy combo and you'd have to copy it and then add 5 seconds of tricks to it.

Also could be kind of unique in that you could collaborate for trick sessions - two or three players in a circle passing the ball amongst each other. We used to do tricks like Slap Rainbows too. A Rainbow is when you arc one of your legs over the ball while its in the air, and kick it with the other foot after the ball comes out under the arc. You could modify this by actually slapping the hack under the arcing leg and into the kicking foot, it was awesome lol.

But anyway, I can envision moves where I slap rainbow it into your foot, allowing you to continue the combo. Nearly impossible in real life, but could make for a kick ass game I think.

Different modes are possible too, we used to play a few different games. We had one called Killer Hack, the objective was hit another player with the hackey sack and have the ball hit the ground. If the player was unable to save it from hitting the ground after it hit them, they were "out" and it was last man standing. This had more cruel variants where a successful hit on you meant every player got to punch you before you left the circle lol.

Also, we created Tennis Hack, essentially just Tennis with a hackey sack on a tennis court. Shit was awesome. I literally fucked my knee up doing this one "special move" that no one else was able to pull off lol. Essentially I just kicked my foot out really hard and hit the hack with just my toes, close to the ground, in a manner than made it shoot directly behind me in a straight line. This was a killer ender in tennis hack because my back would be facing the opponent and they had trouble seeing the trajectory until it was too late, and it was a line drive instead of a lob. Paid for those shots with my knee though lol.

Wow. I read that you developed. Is this all you? Do you work with a team?
Nope. I didn't do any of these. I just came up with the original idea which was copied so much that it basically became a genre (though every single person will say they had the idea independently).

I worked as a programmer in the game industry for a game that was never released, and later as a writer on two small digital-only titles. So if anything, I have experience in the industry, but I'm not particularly accomplished in it. I'm definitely not involved in it anymore.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
That’s called an enhanced MMO Raid ;p

I've seen things like this in Guild Wars 2 for example. It's so chaotic that you can't really tell what's going on. You basically just run your rotation on the boss like it's a training dummy. What would be dope is if they could pull off the 100 players vs Massive Boss and actually implement mechanics that would affect portions of the group. I would call that genre "hivemind". Because there would be 100 people who literally would have to work in tandem for the hive to survive. Damn I wasn't all that interested at first admittedly, but now the more I talk about it. I could see that being pretty fun.

Mista

Banned
I've seen things like this in Guild Wars 2 for example. It's so chaotic that you can't really tell what's going on. You basically just run your rotation on the boss like it's a training dummy. What would be dope is if they could pull off the 100 players vs Massive Boss and actually implement mechanics that would affect portions of the group. I would call that genre "hivemind". Because there would be 100 people who literally would have to work in tandem for the hive to survive. Damn I wasn't all that interested at first admittedly, but now the more I talk about it. I could see that being pretty fun.
Oohhhh yeahhhh. The adrenaline rush during all those hours. Ooofff!!

iconmaster

Banned
I just want to see ActRaiser return. Side-scrolling platform action plus overhead god game. It's chocolate and peanut butter. Why do we only have one game like this?

NahaNago

A monster riding triathlon game where you swim, fly , and run but with extra special obstacles in the race since this game does have monsters.

Top Bottom