• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three people injured, some NYC subways suspended after train derails

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/27/some-nyc-subways-suspended-after-power-outage-mta-derailment.html

A New York subway train derailed in Upper Manhattan on Tuesday morning, halting service on four busy lines. The fire department said three people sustained injuries, none life-threatening

Passengers shared photos and messages that described a chaotic moment when an A train crashed into a wall at 125th Street in Manhattan.

Service was halted on the A, B, C and D trains, major lines running through Manhattan and into neighboring boroughs. Frustrated commuters who were stuck on other trains shared their anger on Twitter.

xkramz

holy shit MTA is getting the beating in 2017. they are on the news at least twice a week now with negative press

I've been commuting in NYC for more than 15 years and I can't recall the subway being a hotter mess than it's been this year. I actually had to adjust my time to account for an inevitable cock-up.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
holy shit MTA is getting the beating in 2017. they are on the news at least twice a week now with negative press

It's all good though, we are getting some fancy subway stops and wifi! Much better than repairing the system. Thanks Cuomo!

/s

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've been commuting in NYC for more than 15 years and I can't recall the subway being a hotter mess than it's been this year. I actually had to adjust my time to account for an inevitable cock-up.

Yeah, I can't say I've ever seen this many fuck ups all at once before.

Fuchsdh

Coming from DC I was always told that sure, the NYC subway is more crowded and dirty, but at least it runs well. Shame that seems to increasingly not be the case.

And thanks to climate change, chances are it's only going to get worse!

CrocoDuck

Fuck, the MTA has been an utter disaster as of late. God damn I cannot count the times trains are delayed because something happens. Everyday is something new.

Par for the course with the MTA.
Yup and nothing will change.
Good, they need all the damn bad publicity they can get. They need to get their shit in order but they won’t cause they’ve got the city by the balls.

Everyday it’s something with the trains, it’s a gamble whenever you leave your house expecting to get somewhere. If we could just do a citywide strike to show these fools we ain’t playing.

ExVicis

Coming from DC I was always told that sure, the NYC subway is more crowded and dirty, but at least it runs well. Shame that seems to increasingly not be the case.

I was going to just remark that myself, having used the NYC subway system a few times I was happy it ran well in the past. Horrible shame if it's gone downhill in the years since I was lat there.

This is why if (when?) I move, I will never move to a place with only one train line. You been up have multiple options in the city in case things go haywire on one of them.

I'm very lucky to not have been involved in that, though... I think I was in the train right in front of that one.

Yup and nothing will change.

Good, they need all the damn bad publicity they can get. They need to get their shit in order but they won't cause they've got the city by the balls.

Everyday it's something with the trains, it's a gamble whenever you leave your house expecting to get somewhere. If we could just do a citywide strike to show these fools we ain't playing.

You forget they're also toying with more fare increases. I cannot fathom how they can even think about raising prices when the subway is in such disrepair. Consistent delays, shutdowns, outages, derailments... it's pretty ridiculous.

The one thing positive they've done is add the 2nd ave subway, which makes my commute about 5 minutes shorter. But even that they've fucked up because there are only trains every 10 minutes, which cancels out the 5 minutes I save by taking the 4/5/6.

Fuck the MTA.

You forget they're also toying with more fare increases. I cannot fathom how they can even think about raising prices when the subway is in such disrepair. Consistent delays, shutdowns, outages, derailments... it's pretty ridiculous.

The one thing they've done is add the 2nd ave subway, which makes my commute about 5 minutes shorter. But even that they've fucked up because there are only trains every 10 minutes, which cancels out the 5 minutes I save by taking the 4/5/6.

Fuck the MTA.
I’m glad you brought this up as I forgot to include it in my post, the only thing about the MTA that comes on time are the fare increases. Let’s Lao not forget that every damn weekend is a nightmare trying to get anywhere and figuring out which trains are running normally or adjusted.

When was the last time a train derailed on the MTA?

As for the delays, I think most of them have to do with signal malfunctions. Literally, stop and go because of them.

Amagon

Fuck the MTA, fuck NJ Transit, fuck the Knicks, fuck de Blasio, fuck Coumo, fuck commuting to NYC, fuck it all.

The one thing positive they've done is add the 2nd ave subway, which makes my commute about 5 minutes shorter. But even that they've fucked up because there are only trains every 10 minutes, which cancels out the 5 minutes I save by taking the 4/5/6.

Fuck the MTA.

At least you don't live in Boston/Cambridge where they raised prices AND stopped late night (till 3am) service on weekends. If you're trying to be social on a weekend Uber/Lyft are practically required. I'm so glad ride sharing apps were already a thing when I was 21

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

And thanks to climate change, chances are it's only going to get worse!

The subway infrastructure is old as fuck. It's rotting from within and the MTA is doing a piss poor job of modernizing it.

LifEndz

The past few months have been some of the worst train service I've experienced in my many years living in NYC. Just atrocious, even for the MTA. Makes it stand out even more since I returned from Japan, where the trains just magically run on time and are incredibly clean and safe.

I'm on my way there now; got called in on my day off. Lugging heavy ass tools down into a hot ass dirty tunnel is not how I envisioned my day today, for real!

Yeah, I can't say I've ever seen this many fuck ups all at once before.

its the result of years of inaction.

literally cumo loves his flashy things, hates having to shut down the subway to actually fix the signals.

Luckily I'm on the L and they have the upgraded signals so I rarely if ever have issues. I just hope things are better by '19 when I have to switch to the M

The past few months have been some of the worst train service I've experienced in my many years living in NYC. Just atrocious, even for the MTA. Makes it stand out even more since I returned from Japan, where the trains just magically run on time and are incredibly clean and safe.

NYC just basically differed on upgrading to a modern signalling system.

Its 100 years old and still using the 70+ year old system. It should have been replaced in the 90s and 00s but here we are and only 1 line has it (the L) and one soon will (the 7). Other countries are lucky because 1) they're not 24/7 and have more time to repair, and 2) were built with the new tech and don't need the retrofitting which the politicians are loathe to do instead of their fancy ribbon cutting ceremonies.

VariantX

literally cumo loves his flashy things, hates having to shut down the subway to actually fix the signals.

Luckily I'm on the L and they have the upgraded signals so I rarely if ever have issues. I just hope things are better by '19 when I have to switch to the M

Fuck man. It's always like this when it comes to infrastructure, no one wants to spend on maintaining and upgrading it until something goes horribly wrong. It's not like it wont pay for itself as long as you're not building a bridge to nowhere.

Fuck man. It's always like this when it comes to infrastructure, no one wants to spend on maintaining and upgrading it until something goes horribly wrong. It's not like it wont pay for itself as long as you're not building a bridge to nowhere.

This is a great story on it. Really shows how much they fucked up

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/01/nyregion/new-york-subway-signals.html?mcubz=1&_r=0

to be frank. we need to have more lines shutdown on weekends and overnights to speed this up 2045 is ridiculous.

CHC

Right in my neighborhood. I was prompted to look up "Harlem news" by a bunch of news and police helicopters overhead - god knows why because they can't see into the fucking subway.

But yeah, surprised it didn't happen sooner or in a more spectacularly deadly fashion. The MTA is shit. They still run ancient trains on ancient tracks and it's just getting worse and worse every year.

Schmitty

The "pass the buck" routine that has gone on for decades has finally caught up to them. NYC is a microcosm of our nation's crippling infrastructure.

Meanwhile, Cuomo makes a whole production of 3 new stations, but nothing when this happens.

entremet

The subway infrastructure is old as fuck. It's rotting from within and the MTA is doing a piss poor job of modernizing it.

It's because the MTA is under the State's jurisdiction, who have starved it for decades. It really should be a city agency.

Hopefully it's a wake-up call that serious work/money needs to be spent in modernizing things.

They're literally spending billions of dollars per year to fix things, not just building new things.

Unfortunately, in addition to having decrepit infrastructure, the MTA is also notoriously inefficient to downright corrupt with money.

goodcow

Fuck the MTA.

The MTA has over $40 billion in outstanding debt. The fare increases will continued every two years.

goodcow

It's because the MTA is under the State's jurisdiction, who have starved it for decades. It really should be a city agency.

Not necessarily. When the NYC Board of Transportation oversaw the subways, they mandated the IRT and BMT to keep the fare at a nickel, leading to decades of deferred maintenance. What mayor will want to raise the fare to pay for upkeep? Easier to kick the can down the road. See: Chicago pension crisis.

When was the last time a train derailed on the MTA?

As for the delays, I think most of them have to do with signal malfunctions. Literally, stop and go because of them.

I think there was a Q train that derailed earlier this year.

Hopefully it's a wake-up call that serious work/money needs to be spent in modernizing things.

If the 1991 union square derailment that killed 5 people didn't do it this won't.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The "pass the buck" routine that has gone on for decades has finally caught up to them. NYC is a microcosm of our nation's crippling infrastructure.

Meanwhile, Cuomo makes a whole production of 3 new stations, but nothing when this happens.

Cuomo is a shit stain cry baby. His feuding with DiBlasio is also causing a lot of tension in the boroughs with drivers, as NY State Troopers are positioned on every other block, and handing out summonses for the tiniest of things.

In case anyone is confused, state troopers do not patrol NYC. And on average write out no more than 50 tickets...per year

In just Jan-Feb 14th, they have written 3000. As of now? It's allegedly up to 20,000 and growing. They are aggressively pursuing motorcycles for minor infractions (visors, license plate at awkward angle, random checks for papers), they cut through traffic at serious speeds to pull over cars for tints or inspection sticker checks, to write out tickets worth $35-75).

All of this over a feud, and Cuomo deciding he wants to increase revenue for NY State by any means necessary. At an average ticket cost of $150 (after all fees), New York State has raked in $3M from New York City motorists thus far...)

Yeah, fuck New York.

Schmitty

Cuomo is a shit stain cry baby. His feuding with DiBlasio is also causing a lot of tension in the boroughs with drivers, as NY State Troopers are positioned on every other block, and handing out summonses for the tiniest of things.

In case anyone is confused, state troopers do not patrol NYC. And on average write out no more than 50 tickets...per year

In just Jan-Feb 14th, they have written 3000. As of now? It's allegedly up to 20,000 and growing. They are aggressively pursuing motorcycles for minor infractions (visors, license plate at awkward angle, random checks for papers), they cut through traffic at serious speeds to pull over cars for tints or inspection sticker checks, to write out tickets worth $35-75).

All of this over a feud, and Cuomo deciding he wants to increase revenue for NY State by any means necessary. At an average ticket cost of $150 (after all fees), New York State has raked in $3M from New York City motorists thus far...)

Yeah, fuck New York.
Oh yeah, I see these guys all the time in my neighborhood. The Times had an article about it yesterday which you are probably referencing

Kill3r7

It's not just them but also NJTransit. This is what happens when you spend decades putting off infrastructure repairs/updates.

CrocoDuck

I live nowhere near the L, what's the upgraded system? And why the L of all lines?

Lo-Volt

I live nowhere near the L, what's the upgraded system? And why the L of all lines?

Computer Based Train Control, which was meant to let trains run closer to each other. When it was first envisioned, the L line has relatively low ridership numbers (this was before the boom in Williamsburg) so it was less disruptive to deploy it there first.

Top Bottom