• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three people injured, some NYC subways suspended after train derails

CrocoDuck

Computer Based Train Control, which was meant to let trains run closer to each other. When it was first envisioned, the L line has relatively low ridership numbers (this was before the boom in Williamsburg) so it was less disruptive to deploy it there first.

Interesting, thanks for the reply.

Reeks

My friend was on that train. She just posted on IG. They had to busy out a window because the smoke was so bad. Happy she's ok.

I'm at the point that I want them to do shutdowns, so they can fix this better. I already have to change up plans with how late the trains have been.
At this point it’s necessary since we’re dealing with delays and interruptions every day.
It's because the MTA is under the State's jurisdiction, who have starved it for decades. It really should be a city agency.
Yup, but the mayor don’t want them headaches. I don’t see what the state giants from keeping it under their jurisdiction.
You can't get that when you get people complaining about fare increases
Cause they keep gauging us without anything to show for it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
- Showtime performers
- God preachers
- People with similar troubles asking for money
- Delays
- Trains shutting down, causing people to overheat
- Trains crashing into walls
- Overcrowded stations/trains

Just another freakin' day in NYC.

Big Blue

I've been commuting in NYC for more than 15 years and I can't recall the subway being a hotter mess than it's been this year. I actually had to adjust my time to account for an inevitable cock-up.

I literally leave an hour earlier for work because of it. The A train is my train home, but thankfully I'm going to my girlfriend's apartment after work today.

Gallbaro

Banned
It's because the MTA is under the State's jurisdiction, who have starved it for decades. It really should be a city agency.

The MTA has not really been starved by any metric.

Farebox recovery is high, dedicated taxes to support operations are also high.

The problem with MTA is our labor is so much less productive than any comparable city. On both the operations side and capital construction side.

It is a labor issue.

Edit: OP is also forgetting the rail condition at Court Square and the Investigation that shut down the Astoria line.

nel e nel

NYC just basically differed on upgrading to a modern signalling system.

Its 100 years old and still using the 70+ year old system. It should have been replaced in the 90s and 00s but here we are and only 1 line has it (the L) and one soon will (the 7). Other countries are lucky because 1) they're not 24/7 and have more time to repair, and 2) were built with the new tech and don't need the retrofitting which the politicians are loathe to do instead of their fancy ribbon cutting ceremonies.

Yep, this and there is still repair work being done from Sandy (see the upcoming L train closure).

Thankfully I started riding my bike to work a year ago, so I avoid a lot of this mess. Bike traffic on the other hand...

LIRR has been an absolute shitshow as well since April. July to September there shutting down tracks at Penn Station for "emergency repairs." NY transit has been really bad lately

Top Bottom