• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tickling Giants - a Documentary about Egypt's Jon Stewart, Bassem Youssef, on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keasar

And possibly more channels but I couldn't fit it all in the title!

6a014e5f5d3c7c970c01bb0981b576970d-pi

Trailer

For those not in the know. Now over 6 years ago, an Egyptian heart surgeon named Bassem Youssef started a Youtube show called The B+ Show, where he satirised the Egyptian media and government, all filmed in his laundryroom, during the Arab Spring revolution. It went on to become a immediate success on Youtube and soon after he had a show called Al-Bernameg (or The Show). It had about 30 million viewers every show (to put that in perspective, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart had about 3 million viewers). He became a voice of the people making fun the new President Morsi, followed by him making fun of the next "President" Sisi, followed by him fleeing the country in exile after a court ruling (which was most likely politically controlled by the Sisi government) that would have jailed him.

He has recieved threats, he has been pressured by the government who started to dislike his wise cracks about their leaders, his show has been sabotaged, so much more but through it all he still went on to crack jokes about the Egyptian government until the final "cancellation" of Al-Bernameg.

SwjDd7r.gif

To me, Bassem Youssef is a hero. I love comedy and my favourite comedians are people like Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, John Oliver, Samantha Bee, Trevor Noah and many more who dare to ask authority questions and point out their flaws, make fun of their leaders. There is however something very different with Bassem, while all those American comedians who I love are hilarious, none of them actually stood up against full-blown dictators of their country. Bassem Youssef is braver than anyone for having done what he did and laugh at the leaders of his country who would have more than anything loved to see him taken down. That is the true essence of political satire and that is what a true comedian is.

I implore anyone who loves political satire and comedy in general to watch this documentary on whatever available channel you got. And I hope you'll as well become a fan and hope with me for a bigger show starring him, his talent is on par with the great legend Stewart and it would be wasted not to see him get to use it again.

Once you are done with this documentary, read his autobiography, Revolution for Dummies: Laughing through the Arab Spring. It's hilarious.

Watch his short show on Fusion's Youtube channel called Democracy Handbook with Bassem Youssef, it's 10 short episodes about him and his experience of American Democracy during the election after his exile. If his experience is any to go by, hold onto your butts, America.

Once your done with that, take a dip in the horror pool with me that was watching how "President" Sisi was welcomed to the White House with full honors and praise by "President" Donald Trump. I cannot imagine Bassem's experience watching this.

pa22word

Heard an interview with him on NPR a few weeks ago, he was hilarious!

Will be sure to check this out, thanks for the heads up OP. With the new netflix rating system being complete shit I probably never would have seen this and instead been bombarded with like 60 scyfi horror movies at 99% match choking down my feed >.>

EDIT: searched for it but not seeing it? Not up in US yet?

Keasar

EDIT: searched for it but not seeing it? Not up in US yet?

It was on Netflix here in Sweden. Usually we get everything after the US. so I can't say how it is in other countries but it was my assumption, feels like it should be safe to say though that it's probably gonna pop up on other regions as well.

Keasar

Was reminded of this movie again when reading this about Trumps talk with the Egyptian "President".
"We've really been through a lot together positively," said Trump, who is on his first foreign visit since taking office.

"I will get to Egypt. We will absolutely be putting that on the list very soon," he said. Sisi had "done a tremendous job under trying circumstance".
Fuck you, you orange twat...

The man is a dictator through and through and it is no wonder that Trump is taking such a liking to him.

Shaneus

I just watched this recently, and holy shit. That poor guy, and what a fucked up government
and the people for voting for Sisi, absolute idiots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom