• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TikTok is depressing.

BossLackey

Gold Member
For a lot of reasons, but what I'm talking about in particular is when I get videos about when "something bad is going to happen".

Why do people make these? WW3 is starting! The global economy is about to collapse! Water availability is about to nosedive! YOU ARE IN TROUBLE!

I guess they make them for views, but I hate that shit. Legit sometimes puts me in a bad mood for hours if I'm already not feeling particularly well mentally or if I get a lot of these.

I never engage or upvote, and yet every once in a while, they'll pop up.

And they're always some random-ass person in their bathroom or some shit. I'm supposed to trust that they magically have special inside information?

Even knowing they're full of shit, I can't help but feel much more negative about the future for a short time. I wouldn't even watch them but most of the time they just spring it on you.

I know what you're going to say. Just stop watching TikTok. It's trash. It's a waste of time. And I agree and I think I will stop using this app.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Isn't this the same for all social media?

I don't have any so I dunno...
Yes, but I don't have Facebook and don't really use Twitter or Instagram unless I'm specifically seeking something out.

TikTok just serves it up (and I'm just on it much more than other social media if you don't count GAF)

jufonuk

not tag worthy
For a lot of reasons, but what I'm talking about in particular is when I get videos about when "something bad is going to happen".

Why do people make these? WW3 is starting! The global economy is about to collapse! Water availability is about to nosedive! YOU ARE IN TROUBLE!

I guess they make them for views, but I hate that shit. Legit sometimes puts me in a bad mood for hours if I'm already not feeling particularly well mentally or if I get a lot of these.

I never engage or upvote, and yet every once in a while, they'll pop up.

And they're always some random-ass person in their bathroom or some shit. I'm supposed to trust that they magically have special inside information?

Even knowing they're full of shit, I can't help but feel much more negative about the future for a short time. I wouldn't even watch them but most of the time they just spring it on you.

I know what you're going to say. Just stop watching TikTok. It's trash. It's a waste of time. And I agree and I think I will stop using this app.
Phone Tech GIF by The Daily Signal

Aggelos

TikTok is another example of how technology has brought up humanity's worst aspects. And it's not the only example out there.
Tiktok's algorithm is AI-powered and it makes sure its users are all the more glued to this app. It's all about getting you glued more and more.

BossLackey

Gold Member
The algorithm caters to your viewing and browsing habits.

I CONSTANTLY get stuff I don't engage with and scroll past immediately. Yes, the algorithm curates to a large degree, but it's always trying to get you to engage with something else. Otherwise it would be self reinforcing and you would be watching only the most hyper-specific-to-you content imaginable.

tommycronin

Banned
Think about yourself watching it in the third person and you won't be long deleting it. Once you're passed the point of watching tiktok on your phone you're now basically staring at tiktok on your phone you'll feel a lot better deleting the app.

Go_Ly_Dow

Never used Tiktok, never will. But I know its poison.

Don't use Instagram.

Twitter I use exclusively for my job and so I can avoid all the truly awful discourse and bullshit on that.

Facebook just use messenger to speak to people directly and marketplace, never look at the feed.

Social media or any page where people are resharing content about world events, their feeling etc... is depressing to look at. Just a lot of distortion, anger, arguments made worse as it's easy to sit behind a screen, disconnected from the person and get sucked in.

If I do get exposed to crap it's usually on YouTube but then with that you can mitigate it to a decent degree by just looking at your subs rather than what the AI throws at you.

Don't just delete the apps but also close your accounts beforehand.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
TikTok is another example of how technology has brought up humanity's worst aspects. And it's not the only example out there.
Tiktok's algorithm is AI-powered and it makes sure its users are all the more glued to this app. It's all about getting you glued more and more.

I dont have TikTok. My sisters are always telling me to get it but I have IG that's enough.

IG is enough for me.
I hope the removal of music from tik tok is enough to drive users away

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I'm sure TikTok would be able to identify cool stuff to show me that I didn't even know existed that I'd like.

And I'm of the belief that algorithms will find cracks in my willpower and give me a new addiction. To think it gets its hooks in others but not me would be misguided. For this reason, I have not installed tiktok.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
For that and other things I avoid any social network as much as possible.

I only upload photos when they are personal achievements, I am not interested in likes or anything like that, I use it more as an "Album", sometimes I only use them to see dates if there will be an event like a concert or trips, but for communication or see other people I know, I just avoid it as much as I can.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Think about yourself watching it in the third person and you won't be long deleting it. Once you're passed the point of watching tiktok on your phone you're now basically staring at tiktok on your phone you'll feel a lot better deleting the app.

This is a very good way of thinking about it. Just my fatass sitting on the couch scrolling with a blank expression on my face.

Thanks I hate it lmao.

This might be the easiest way for me to delete this thing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Agreed. Constant fearmongering, envy, filters, showing off.
social media is terrible

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Somewhere along the way, you watched or engaged on one those videos... Maybe it was so long ago that you forgot about it.

I get positive videos and videos from specific people I follow. Never doom scroll the "for you" page... Only scroll the "following" page. Make the algorithm understand what you like and ONLY that.

I used to follow certain people but then finding out their views on things and how awful they were, I unfollowed and rarely, if ever, get crap like that again.

I swear, some of y'all don't know how to use Social Media. It can be great but you HAVE to only follow friends, family or specific celebs/pundits/sports/etc. Like I LOVE America's Got Talent... So followed them on TikTok and I'm filled with joy every time. Especially the Golden Buzzer moments.

Power Pro

Outside of facebook, which I only have for family reasons, I've pretty much eliminated all social media. I guess you might consider this forum, and discord social media, but it's the constant barrage of bull shit social media that i try to avoid. "Recommended post" or always getting to click on the newest random thing to maintain "engagement" fuck those so much. I really feel like those are dragging society down. I used to only go on twitter to follow a singer's profile that I like, but now I can't even do that because Elon Musk wants everyone to have an account to browse, which I refuse to do.

Tiktok is absolute garbage to me though, because short form videos sound like it's specifically design for people who can't sit still for more than a minute. Constantly watching short videos, and going on to the next one. So frivolous, and mindless. I prefer long form well thought out videos to watch, not something that has to move so fast otherwise it might lose your attention.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Social Media is depressive, period. God damn it for being so addictive though. I was sick last weekend for the first time since like a decade. And when I’m sick, I’m bananas. I can’t focus on anything. So I ended up browsing social media all the time. By the end of it, I wanted to off myself. That trash is poison. I’m still recovering.

Will seriously do my best going forward to limit my social media to NeoGAF.

Social media is one of humanity’s worst inventions. We can only hope that by some miracle it’s banned one day.

Rockondevil

I don’t get all these people that have problems on social media.
All of my algorithms must just be tailored for fun and enjoyment.
I skip trash I’m not into and it learns. I only spend maybe 30 minutes a day across the many platforms and I never have a bad time.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I skip trash I’m not into and it learns. I only spend maybe 30 minutes a day across the many platforms and I never have a bad time.
Yep, but the moment you speak that truth, you’ll hear endless variations of externalizing blame. Social media is this generation’s version of “McDonald’s made me fat.”

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I have a friend addicted to this trash. All she does is send us videos about how the world is going to end, how racism is worse than ever, how women have it worse than ever, how all men are trash, and how much life sucks overall.

we tell her to get off tiktok but she doesnt listen.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
He has a very pessimistic and downright doom scenario undertone so keep that in mind. Then again. It is what it is; Fucked up.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
You sound the recreational drug user who doesn’t understand why people have issues with drugs.

StueyDuck

no one needs the CCP tryna brainwash and groom them, dump the app. Dump all social media if you can but i know for some that''s difficult.

live in the world, not online. Nothing good comes from Social media

Meicyn

Gold Member
You sound the recreational drug user who doesn’t understand why people have issues with drugs.
Alcohol can be fun in moderation. Abstaining from alcohol is a great choice. Alcohol is awful and destructive when overconsumed. Alcohol should not be consumed by minors.

The distributor is not responsible for your inability to control your consumption rate as a grown ass man.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
What constitutes as a "grown ass man" exactly? Which circumstances are nesseracary to be a so called grown ass man?

Intriguing statement.

poodaddy

There's not a single person on Earth whose life has been positively impacted in a notable fashion by tiktok content other than the sociopaths who got rich from it, which tends to be people who were already rich to begin with doing choreographed dances in mansion kitchens with their rich idiot friends.

It's bad for ya, get it out of your life and off your phone....I won't even get into how it's benefitting the CCP here, but that should matter to you. Fuckin embarrassing how many Americans just hand over data to the CCP and don't see why it's disturbing that a country we have a tenuous, (at best), relationship with has data on the majority of American citizens that was handed over willingly.

Porcile

I know a few people who can't even sit through five minute YouTube videos anymore, let alone whole films because of TikTok. They are always sending me dumbest shit ever from there. Delete it ASAP.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It wasn't TikTok but my sister from another mister (meaning she's a close friend I see as family) found my biological father using Facebook! Technically she also used the people finder website but it was still FB that got us in touch with a cousin of mine and verified it that way.

It was one of the best moments of my life ... Oh! And I also got back in touch with SOME classmates... Especially one that made my day telling me she still has the drawing I drew of her in our senior year. I got reacquainted with old friends and became better friends... FB has been a net positive in my life.

I've made some amazing friends LARGELY on that app.

Last edited:
Every old fucker told me not to spend too much time in front of the TV when I was a kid.

How the turn tables.

At least we were solving problems and puzzles and shit. This shit actively giving a generation brain rot.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Any form of entertainment or informational resource that rewards high view counts and 'engagement' should be ignored, given that everything you see on it will be hopelessly biased or warped by the constant need to get clicks.

You cannot possibly get independent, verified or truthful information from a source that does not reward having those things in any way, shape or form.

Cyberpunkd

Any form of entertainment or informational resource that rewards high view counts and 'engagement' should be ignored, given that everything you see on it will be hopelessly biased or warped by the constant need to get clicks.

You cannot possibly get independent, verified or truthful information from a source that does not reward having those things in any way, shape or form.
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Rickyiez

Tik Tok bring out the worst from social media. It should be canceled honestly.

Luckily all I had is Instagram, and the only things I follow and like are cats and foods. Best things ever

Top Bottom