• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To be honest with you...wait, what?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

I hate this phrase. If I had one major pet peeve, it would be this phrase. I don't understand why people say it. It sounds horribly bad.

You start a statement and tell someone, "Well, to be honest with you.", uhhh, what? So this means you weren't honest with me yesterday? Or you are feeling charitable and want to be honest with me today? Will you be honest with me tommorrow? Or do you need to flip a coin first and decide?

It irritates me when I hear this phrase come out of someones mouth. It is a horrible expression, and I wish people would stop using it. Are there any phrases out there that grate you to no end? Make sure to be honest with me!

most of the time its used (at least by me) its when you don't want to be bluntly, 100% honest with someone, but have to. Like "To be honest with you, that dress makes you look like a fatass."

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
It's not suggesting what you normally say isn't honest, it's a way of indicating that, while the other person may not want to hear what's about to be said, it's still the truth.

It just takes the edge of some things, makes comments seem less rude. Also it's sometimes used to indicate that what you previously said was just you messing around, here's your real point.

Though to be honest with you, I'm not a fan of the phrase myself.

Mrbob

Lol, eat some more hairy balls....!

I understand what the pharse means. Just that I find it irritating.

ghostface

I think you're just being picky. There are probably hundreds of other similar expression that can be considered to be pet peeves, by your definition of the term. Many of which you probably use as well.

To be honest, you should just be yourself.

Socreges

Banned
I'll say "To be honest, ______" if I had just been kidding around and wanted to change pace.

Oh, and for the record, MrBob, you're a pet peeve of mine! But to be honest... you're a douche.

test_tube.jpg
eon-polaris.jpg

039576341x.l.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom