• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Holland confirmed as Nathan Drake in Uncharted movie

Mista

Banned
uncharted_still.jpg

Sony has set a Dec. 18, 2020 release date for the video game adaptation, which stars Tom Holland as treasure hunter Nathan Drake. An Uncharted movie has been long in development, with Holland joining the project two years ago. In January it saw 10 Cloverfield Lane director Dan Trachtenberg come aboard, following the exit of filmmaker Shawn Levy.

The latest draft of the screenplay adapting the Naughty Dog video game is coming from Jonathan Rosenberg and Mark Walker. Uncharted is going up against Steven Spielberg's big budget West Side Story remake, which Fox is opening the same day.

quickwhips

Ok I might watch an uncharted movie now. I bet he is a big fan of the series. He has don’t Spider-Man well so will hope for the best.

Fbh

Sucks.

Nothing against Holland but I don't like this idea of a young Nathan Drake.
The Uncharted franchise in itself doesn't have any amazing stories or concepts (it's just Indiana Jones), so its identity mostly relies on the likeable cast of characters. If we are getting highly altered version of these characters I just don't see the point

He is to old

And Tom Holland is too young. So it's not like they were unwilling to change the age
Besides if you are going to change the age, IMO the character works better if you make him older instead of younger.

Varteras

Gold Member
He is to old

He really isn't. There is a lot you can do with makeup if you have to and he's already put out an Uncharted short where he is clearly perfect for the role. Tom Holland looks like he's still in high school. So as someone else pointed out, clearly there isn't an issue with how old someone looks.

Kenpachii

Sucks.

Nothing against Holland but I don't like this idea of a young Nathan Drake.
The Uncharted franchise in itself doesn't have any amazing stories or concepts (it's just Indiana Jones), so its identity mostly relies on the likeable cast of characters. If we are getting highly altered version of these characters I just don't see the point

And Tom Holland is too young. So it's not like they were unwilling to change the age
Besides if you are going to change the age, IMO the character works better if you make him older instead of younger.

He really isn't. There is a lot you can do with makeup if you have to and he's already put out an Uncharted short where he is clearly perfect for the role. Tom Holland looks like he's still in high school. So as someone else pointed out, clearly there isn't an issue with how old someone looks.

I would see nathan more in line with jolie from tomb raider. Was she not like 24 years old when playing the role? or something close towards it. I could be a year off or something.

This guy is 23 years now, and will be 24 when the movie is filmed or made. He seems like a perfect fit for it.

The story of nathan drake also seems to start at 14 years old so they could have gone even younger. But they probably want to make a bunch of movies with him, he has the experience with loads of stunts through spiderman etc. It makes him a perfect fit for it. And in 10 years if the movie series is a hit he will only be 34 years old while nathan sits at retirement age.

Nathan filion is 48 years old atm and probably 49/50 when movie is out. he would have been solid for the roll if he was 20 years younger, around his firefly age.

They could still hire him as older nathan or something. But frankly i think the kid is a nice option for this movie series.

it's also going to try to attract the younger crowd i guess and modernize nathan drake towards the current culture.

Last edited:

Xenon

When you think about it this is really smart. By the 6th or 7th movie he'll be just right and then they can get five or six movies after that maybe even more.

Him being too young isn’t an issue. The real issue is that he’s tiny. Nathan isn’t tiny so that’ll look weird
Well, they're most likely telling an origin story with this movie so I don't think size will be an issue either.

813511-uncharted-3-drake-s-deception-playstation-4-screenshot-young.jpg

Culture_Spider-Man_FarFromHome_Trailer.jpg

As usual, I think we should wait to see the trailer before casting doubt.

Last edited:
Over at Sony, just change "Hello Mr Thompson" for "Hire Nathan Fillion" and I imagine that's exactly how this casting panned out.

Ellis

uncharted-2-among-thieves-uncharted-drake-s-fortune-uncharted-the-nathan-drake-collection-uncharted-3-drake-s-deception-uncharted-4-a-thief-s-end-uncharted.jpg

Can't see Tom Holland look convincing doing this every two minutes, at all.

He's also way too small. Sure, he can bulk up a bit, but he has a small build and I don't see working out doing much to his overall size.

VertigoOA

Banned
I don’t even like uncharted and I hate this. The Nathan Dillion short was fun a so hell tho.

They fucked it up!

Harrison Ford was in his 40s and raiders is STILL the standard for action movies. Uncharted tried to be raiders, and drake tries to be Indy. So tell me why an older actor couldn’t helm the series, as already proven by the property it blantantly rips off.

Lol

Last edited:

peronmls

God. ...It's really Hollywood or bust for these guys, huh? We all know it's hard to make a 1 for 1 game to movie but casting should be striaght forward. Just get a good director. Too much money? Then don't expect money.

Mista

Banned
Well, they're most likely telling an origin story with this movie so I don't think size will be an issue either.

813511-uncharted-3-drake-s-deception-playstation-4-screenshot-young.jpg

Culture_Spider-Man_FarFromHome_Trailer.jpg

As usual, I think we should wait to see the trailer before casting doubt.
In that case then I'm 100% with the choice

Did they pick him solely on his ability to not match whatever role he's cast in?

Gimme back Andrew Garfield Spider Man and Thanos snap this actor out of my life.

Top Bottom