• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toms Hardware: AMD Ryzen 3000-Series 16-Core CPU Specifications Leaked

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

ProcessorCores / ThreadsGPUBase / Boost ClockTDPPrice
Ryzen 3 33006 / 12-3.2 / 4.0 GHz50W$99
Ryzen 3 3300X6 / 12-3.5 / 4.3 GHz65W$129
Ryzen 3 3300G6 / 12Navi (15 CU)3.0 / 3.8 GHz65W$129
Ryzen 5 36008 / 16-3.6 / 4.4 GHz65W$178
Ryzen 5 3600X8 / 16-4.0 / 4.8 GHz95W$229
Ryzen 5 3600G8 / 16Navi (20 CU)3.2 / 4.0 GHz95W$199
Ryzen 7 370012 / 24-3.8 / 4.6 GHz95W$299
Ryzen 7 3700X12 / 24-4.2 / 5.0 GHz105W$329
Ryzen 9 3800X16 / 32-3.9 / 4.7 GHz125W$449
Ryzen 9 3850X16 / 32-4.3 / 5.1 GHz135W$499

If that 8-core and 16-core price IS real then it is an absolute gamechanger.

Honestly though 8-core 16thread for $229 simply can't possibly be that cheap.

Not believing it until I see it.

If I were a betting man, I would have guessed that AMD would have priced their top 16-core CPU at $599, top 12-core at $499 and top 8 core at $399

Last edited:
I wish Microsoft and Samsung and other OEMs start using AMD. The price to performance ratio is great. I would love a surface studio like desktop from samsung with S pen and OLED/AMOLED 4k screen :messenger_savoring: doing photoshop and corel photopaint

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I wish Microsoft and Samsung and other OEMs start using AMD. The price to performance ratio is great. I would love a surface studio like desktop from samsung with S pen and OLED/AMOLED 4k screen :messenger_savoring: doing photoshop and corel photopaint
Unless AMD fucks up the pricing, Ryzen 3000 is pretty much too big to fail at this point. Even if the IPC was the exact same as the 2000 series, this would absolutely blow Intel out of the water in terms of value. If the expected IPC performances (~15%) do come to fruition, then its am absolute slaughter.

The 9900K looks so dismally overpriced IF this is true.

I dont understand why people are so upset of intel not moving to 10nm yet (and eventually to 7nm). They still keep releasing 14nm+++++++++ CPU's. Whats the big deal?

LOLCats

Banned
i think the 2700X are going for 270$ or lower lately. So for me, 200-230$ for the 8 core 16 thread part is not that hard to believe.

And cheers AMD!

Last edited:

Nydus

The 3700X looks like a monster gaming CPU. I hope with a good AIO you can get those 5Ghz on all 12 constantly.

ZywyPL

Banned
Whoa! If those clock speeds turn out to be true, then Intel will finally have a real competition.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It was stupid at any point for a gamer only.

Those are for content creators/gamers.

Well, gamers that want the max performance. I would just a take a zen for a fraction of the cost and maybe 5-10% behind on performance.
If Sus presentation is to be believed the 8 core 3000 will at least be on par and probably a bit faster than the 9900K

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
From reading the article I got the impression that the chart was the AdoredTV leak, and that the brand new info is Apisak's ES 16c sample he can't identify yet...

These are Adoredtv's 16c options...
Ryzen 9 3800X16 / 32-3.9 / 4.7 GHz125W$449
Ryzen 9 3850X16 / 32-4.3 / 5.1 GHz135W$499

Last edited:
is their any advantages of combining a ryzen cpu with vega and future navi as oppose to:

intel + vega
ryzen + nvidia

Last edited:

SonGoku

I'm confused. :messenger_winking_tongue:

I thought the article was about the Tweet and came 2hrs afterwards?
you-got-me.gif

I only read the OP, wasn't aware the article mentioned the tweet.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I only read the OP, wasn't aware the article mentioned the tweet.
Lol. It's no biggie. I like to google "Navi GPU leak" and comb through the tech articles and I noticed that they are mostly based on Apisak/Komachi's Gonzalo, or AdoredTV's "planned" navi GPU chart(edit: Same with Ryzen). Apisak is a dataminer not a rumor guy like AdoredTV.

Last edited:
Unless AMD fucks up the pricing, Ryzen 3000 is pretty much too big to fail at this point. Even if the IPC was the exact same as the 2000 series, this would absolutely blow Intel out of the water in terms of value. If the expected IPC performances (~15%) do come to fruition, then its am absolute slaughter.

The 9900K looks so dismally overpriced IF this is true.
Not if it Performs significantly better. AMD and Intel aren’t the same when it comes to performance.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Not if it Performs significantly better. AMD and Intel aren’t the same when it comes to performance.
Considering that the 9900K doesn’t perform drastically better (ok drastically better is a matter of opinion) than the 2700X, and considering that the 3000 demo at CES was running neck and neck with the 9900K, there is pretty much no way that the 9900K will perform significantly better.

Then throw in factors like cost then no way the 9900K will be the CPU to get.

somerset

1) *all* Ryzen chips have beed *unlocked*. None of that dirty Intel 'k' trick for AMD.

2) Ryzen 'x' varieties have better auto-overclocking on a few cores than the non-x, but the diffence between them and the non-x is minimal if you hand overclock.

3) Hand overclocked Ryzen chips *may* lose the ability to auto-downclock to extreme low speeds, meaning your hand overclocked Ryzen may use a few extra watts when idle.

4) With Zen+ (the 2000 series), it is usually better to *not* hand overclock the 'x' parts. The auto-overclocking is that good.

5) Ryzen has the same IPC as the 4000 series Intel parts. And Intel has barely improved IPC since the 4000.

6) if you game at 60Hz, Intel is certainly not better- and indeed the 1% lows on AMD parts are now usually better.

7) if you game at 120-144Hz, Intel may be the 'safer' bet, but the gap is largely closed these days.

8) Zen and Zen+ are more power efficient than Intel until they are heavily overclocked- tho they need to be heavily overclocked to go >4Ghz on more than a few cores. But Intel chips are also very over-stressed if you push all cores >4GHz, which is why all current Intel enthusiasts watercool their CPUs.

9) Zen 2 will significantly reduce Zen power usage under load, and get max clocks on a few cores around 5GHz. For lightly threaded work, Zen 2 will draw level to an heavily overclocked Intel CPU. For multi-threaded work, Zen will continue to crush Intel.

10) for around a decade now, intel has been paying devs to forgo mutli-threading in order to lean on one fast core. But now even Intel parts have 6+ cores, so this corruption of coding has ended. The future is code that supports many cores properly- especially with games now both new consoles are getting 8 Zen2 cores.

A *lot* of people only know Intel- and think Intel a technically advanced company. Well it is not. Intel has *failed* in every business outside its core x86 market- and boy have they tried to diversify. Intel's greatest failure was Larabee- the supposed ATI/Nvidia slaying GPU that Intel developed internally at unthinkable cost (they spent more on this chip than all the R+D spending by Nvidia and ATI combined across their entire history til the data Larabee was cancelled). Intel's 'new' GPU is going to be even worse.

With CPUs, Intel has only looked good when AMD was off the boil. Many youngsters have only ever known this period (AMD's terrible netburst copy- Bulldozer) until Ryzen turned up. And Intel still coasts on this 'reputation'.

But Ryzen was brilliant from the first (I use the 1700, and having had x86 CPUs from Intel, Cyrix and AMD since my first Intel 486DX33, the 1700 has proven to be the cleanest most trouble free system yet).

BTW- Ryzen has *vastly* better hyperthreading than any intel chip- making a big peformance difference. Ryzen's hyperthreading is *safe*. The advice for Intel owners is to turn *off* hyperthreading, cos on an Intel chip the hyperthreading system introduces the most severe from of all the known exploits. This is why Intel now sells most of its new chips without hyperthreading.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Ryzen 9 3850X you gotta be kidding me 16 core 32 threads for 499. Can't wait to see if this is true and see benchmarks

PhoenixTank

Specs seem a little unrealistic. If it's true that they can hit those clocks I'll buy one day one.
Should be doable with good chiplet binning, tbh... Just need two 8 core chips that can hit those targets. I also know that I badly want this to be true.
I need a real upgrade but keeping a level head until I can actually buy one.

Something to note regarding the TUM_APISAK info: The 12nm TR 2950X has 16 cores and better specs than the unnamed engineering sample.
2950X has a base clock of 3.5Ghz and a max boost to 4.4Ghz.
The unnamed chip they mention is 3.3Ghz base, 4.2Ghz boost.
Cynic in me says problems with 7nm if they can't even match clocks. Optimist says it is just an engineering sample.

Last edited:

SonGoku

2) Ryzen 'x' varieties have better auto-overclocking on a few cores than the non-x, but the diffence between them and the non-x is minimal if you hand overclock.
So its better to get the non X version and OC yourself
8c/16t for $178 is looking mighty impressive.

Hopefully is possible to get close to 5Ghz on all cores using Noctua air coolers or AIO liquid coolers. It would be one beast of a CPU.

Last edited:
This is just such a no-brainer upgrade if true.

Better get your pre-orders in gents. If this is true I think finding one at MSRP ( or at all for the first few months ) might be tricky.

Especially that 3850X. 16 cores @5.1GHz? What will it overclock upto?!

Don't tell me a CPU like that won't comfortably last the entire next gen with ease.

I've been waiting to upgrade for SOOO long now ( still rockin an i3770k ) but years and years of Intel +5-7% launches have left me sour and uninterested. A 16 core CPU @ 5.0GHz feels like a generational leap forward.

Last edited:

The Skull

The 3850X just sounds a bit unrealistic but can you imagine the shit storm at intel if it's true. Ryzen has been the best thing to happen to the CPU market in years and I'm beyond hyped for Zen 2.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The 3850X just sounds a bit unrealistic but can you imagine the shit storm at intel if it's true. Ryzen has been the best thing to happen to the CPU market in years and I'm beyond hyped for Zen 2.
It’s a shame that AMD has yet to make this kind of breakthrough in the GPU market.

I’m not optimistic Navi will do this.

Top Bottom