• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk claims Activision ‘scrapped a planned 3 + 4 remake’

I just played some Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 and had more fun playing the original Tony Hawk's Pro Skateboarding (PS1) and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2X (XBOX). The physics of the new one are more simulation and the competitions are ridiculously difficult. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 still holds up really damn well with its arcadey physics so I see no reason for an inferior version to be made.

Last edited:

Larxia

the competitions are ridiculously difficult
What? They are really not, to the point that usually you don't even have to do the whole competition. You just have to do a 30 seconds combo or so and you will have 99,9 score, there you can end the run, do the same thing on the next heat, and skip the final round completely and you will have a gold medal lol

You probably just need to get better at holding your combo. Use special tricks, build up your score multiplier, and don't fall. I think even just a 500k points or so combo will get you 99,9.

As for the physics, I really think it was perfect as far as I'm concerned. It feels similar to the classic games before the ps3/360 episodes, but with just the right amount of weight added to it, I think it feels really good.

Larxia

No. Ignore ssx. What we need is a remake of

I never loved Tricky as much as a lot of people seem to do. It's a fun game, but... compared to SSX3 and its combo system, SSX Tricky really doesn't feel as deep in comparison, and it mostly relies on luck to hold a combo since you always have to land perfectly on a rail to keep the multiplier, without any nose or tail press available.

The tracks are fun, I think that's probably what people liked the most about it, and it had some strong personnality, but I really think SSX 3 had a much better gameplay.

I'm also one of the rares persons who loved SSX 2012 🤷‍♂️

SkylineRKR

The remake was very good, but I think TH3 on OG Xbox is the best TH of all time. It beat TH2 on Dreamcast for me, which I played far too much.

TH4 I didn't like. I think this is where the open world started.

RagnarokIV

Shame, it really hit its stride with THPS3. That was the THPS game, in my opinion.

THUG was its own thing, but THUG2 is the greatest Tony Hawk game in my opinion and once they announced 1+2 remake, I was just praying for the remake momentum we saw from Resident Evil. I genuinely believed we'd have THUG1+2 within a few years.

I never loved Tricky as much as a lot of people seem to do. It's a fun game, but... compared to SSX3 and its combo system, SSX Tricky really doesn't feel as deep in comparison, and it mostly relies on luck to hold a combo since you always have to land perfectly on a rail to keep the multiplier, without any nose or tail press available.

The tracks are fun, I think that's probably what people liked the most about it, and it had some strong personnality, but I really think SSX 3 had a much better gameplay.

The music in Tricky was pretty good too.

The issue would have been remasters of the third and fourth games would have to strip out the sexy female characters, in general the sheer 2000s of the later games is not what EA wants associated with it's brand these days.

Larxia

but THUG2 is the greatest Tony Hawk game in my opinion and once they announced 1+2 remake, I was just praying for the remake
If you feel that way and if you have a PC, I really commend checking out Thug Pro. It's a mod based on Underground 2, with an active multiplayer and almost all the map from the series all into one game. It's not a remake, but it's a really good experience if you want to play with that gameplay again, with various additions / improvements.

I myself ported / adapted the cities from Proving Ground to it, with my own new areas, improved textures / lighting etc...
My biggest work was Baltimore which I completely expanded into an open map with all rooftops etc playable:

But there are also most maps from THPS 1 and 2, all the maps from THPS 3, 4, Underground, Underground 2, almost all the ones from thaw, a few from project 8, and my custom ports from proving ground. There are also lot of other custom maps from the community.

The multiplayer is also quite better than the one from 1+2, because you have a lobby where you can browse all the servers, host a room if you want, pick any game mode, any map, you have a lot more control than in 1+2.
1+2 was really great but the online was a huge let down compared to Thug Pro.

edit : just found a video presenting the mod if you're curious

Last edited:

Puscifer

You and me both, I have to say tricky didn't age well, like at all. Course design is legitimately bad at times and I thought for sure that open world wouldn't benefit the game and boy I was wrong.

What? They are really not, to the point that usually you don't even have to do the whole competition. You just have to do a 30 seconds combo or so and you will have 99,9 score, there you can end the run, do the same thing on the next heat, and skip the final round completely and you will have a gold medal lol

You probably just need to get better at holding your combo. Use special tricks, build up your score multiplier, and don't fall. I think even just a 500k points or so combo will get you 99,9.
Oh just 500,000 without falling once, that is so easy... Only way I would manage that is if I turned on infinite manual and grind and stopped doing anything but basic grab tricks inbetween. If that is what I need to do then what is the point. The older titles were all about experimentation and you did not need to jump through absurd hoops to nail a cool combo and get a nice score.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The remake of 1 and 2 was fantastic, and I went into it fully expecting to hate. Really great work there. THPS 3 + 4... or honestly, even just 3, would've been an absolute must buy. Given their priorities, though, I genuinely don't expect to ever buy another Activision game.

Larxia

You and me both, I have to say tricky didn't age well, like at all. Course design is legitimately bad at times and I thought for sure that open world wouldn't benefit the game and boy I was wrong.
I don't know if I would say that the course design is "bad", but... I mean yeah, sometimes it kind of is, but for one particular reason, the one I mentionned : It feels very unreliable. It's also difficult in SSX3 to reach some specific rails sometimes, but in Tricky it's way worse, because very often you will take a jump without any vision on where you will land, and if you don't land on a rail, your combo is dead, since that's the only way to hold a combo in Tricky. It really felt like random luck to me most of the time to get a good score.

The ideas of some of these tracks are nice, but... it lacks more control, it's too hard to make the most of them. I found that quite frustrating in that game.

Larxia

Oh just 500,000 without falling once, that is so easy... Only way I would manage that is if I turned on infinite manual and grind and stopped doing anything but basic grab tricks inbetween. If that is what I need to do then what is the point. The older titles were all about experimentation and you did not need to jump through absurd hoops to nail a cool combo and get a nice score.
500k is really not a high score in that game, you might just need to play a little more? If you do a few special tricks you will easily have around 20k points in a few seconds, and with a multiplier of X25 by doing just a few basic flips / grinds / manuals, you're already there at 500k, it can be done in like 20-30 seconds.

RPS37

I just played some Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 and had more fun playing the original Tony Hawk's Pro Skateboarding (PS1) and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2X (XBOX). The physics of the new one are more simulation and the competitions are ridiculously difficult. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 still holds up really damn well with its arcadey physics so I see no reason for an inferior version to be made.
I literally was coming here to say I stopped playing The Remake because it was too damn hard.

Larxia

It seems like you don't believe me since you reacted with a "LOL" emoji to my post. I just recorded this to show you, 1,1 million points in 20 seconds. 500k is really nothing.

Last edited:
500k is really not a high score in that game, you might just need to play a little more? If you do a few special tricks you will easily have around 20k points in a few seconds, and with a multiplier of X25 by doing just a few basic flips / grinds / manuals, you're already there at 500k, it can be done in like 20-30 seconds.
HIghest required score goal in levels is 250000 in 2 minutes and you want me to double that in a quarter of the time.
GIF by Giphy QA

Well yes, I just showed above that it's not that much. The score goals in the game are very easy.
You Dont Say Nicholas Cage GIF

It is so easy if you don't touch the ground directly or land a few degrees off center for half a minute. What you do does not even resemble skating.

Last edited:

Larxia

It is so easy if you don't touch the ground directly or land a few degrees off center for half a minute. What you do does not even resemble skating.
I don't get it... This is how the series has always been, you're acting like I'm playing the game "wrong" or something while I'm just using the gameplay.
If you refuse to use the whole gameplay and insist on playing it like a skate sim, then yes you're going to have troubles, but that's just you refusing to really play the game then, I'm not really sure what to say. It's like playing Bayonetta, DMC or whatever but refusing to do any aerial combo etc...

The game is not "too hard", you're just not playing it correctly and therefore making it hard. It's like if you played an arcade racer but drove like in an simulation driving game and therefore struggled to meet the goals. The style of the series is probably just not for you and you would prefer something like Skate.

SSX is the same, in no way it looks like actual snowboarding, it's over the top with crazy fast paced action, and that's what makes it so good, these games have fantastic arcade gameplay, they never tried to be realistic.

The game is not "too hard", you're just not playing it correctly and therefore making it hard. It's like if you played an arcade racer but drove like in an simulation driving game and therefore struggled to meet the goals. The style of the series is probably just not for you and you would prefer something like Skate.
I beat all of the original three without issue. My bad for assuming this remake would play like them.
Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Larxia

I beat all of the original three without issue. My bad for assuming this remake would play like them.
Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
If you had no issues doing goals in 1 2 3, I'm not sure why you would have problems here. I would say maybe it's because 1 and 2 didn't have revert, they didn't offer as much combo possibility, but 3 introduced reverts and it was the same as it is now.

Larxia

What you do does not even resemble skating.
Okay here's another try lol Is this "skating" enough for you or still too much? I tried to be slow on purpose, stay more on the ground, and do less tricks :messenger_grinning_squinting: I don't really understand the point though, but I'm curious about where you draw the line. If you tell me it's still too much though, then it's really not THPS anymore :unsure:.

Okay here's another try lol Is this "skating" enough for you or still too much? I tried to be slow on purpose, stay more on the ground, and do less tricks :messenger_grinning_squinting: I don't really understand the point though, but I'm curious about where you draw the line. If you tell me it's still too much though, then it's really not THPS anymore :unsure:.

robert deniro psychiatrist GIF

I literally was coming here to say I stopped playing The Remake because it was too damn hard.

The game is just as hard as the original was, except you have the quality of life improvements from THPS2 added to part 1. I wouldnt say they are hard at all, you just have to plan your route for long combos. Other than that, nothing stops you from only doing one single objective in those 2 minutes. You will be upgrading your characters manual and jump in no time.

I think you are completely mixing up THPS serises with SKATE. THPS has been always superhero madness combos and is a total replica of the old games, theres nothing different here compared tot he originals. SKATE you play it more technical because of the movement controlls, its slower and tricks are realistic.

Last edited:
I think you are completely mixing up THPS serises with SKATE. THPS has been always superhero madness combos and is a total replica of the old games, theres nothing different here compared tot he originals.
You are very wrong. The momentum and verticality are very different in the originals. The remake feels like molasses in comparison and has new mechanics to chain combos. The competition scoring system is also very different. It penalizes heavily for falls and has much higher score requirements.

Last edited:

jwaxeman

I absolutely love the physics in the remake, it's as fast as before but they added just the perfect amount of weight to it, making it feel more impactful. For me they really perfected it, so we really see it very differently.
I grew up with every single THPS game and I certainly couldn’t have told you that the remake was any different. I loved it, was really hoping we’d see a new one. I don’t have much faith in Microsoft saving it either. They bought ABK to keep making money from the Call of Duty mines, not to bring back games for the fans.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Remake a skateboarding game? Well if they care about money, I can see why they might want to pass. Might be fun to play but not so sure it has broad mass market appeal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom