• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk says that he wants to bring Pro Skater 3 and 4 back to life, then 'work on a new direction' for the series

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Due out in September on PC, PS4 and Xbox One, the revival bundles together the two classic entries, with tons of input from Hawk himself and several other skaters. Based on a statement he's made in the latest issue of Game Informer however, he doesn't want to stop there.

Speaking to the magazine, Hawk says "this is just the start...with that baseline we're hopefully going to be able to help remaster other titles, Pro Skater 3 and 4 even, and start to work on a new direction. That's ultimately the goal for me." Naturally, money talks (especially with Activision), so this project would have to sell before that happened.

Something tells me though that Vicarious Visions knows what they're doing and folks have been hungry for a "knock it out of the park good" Tony Hawk game since...THUG 2? Some would say THUG 1? So if the quality is there (and that "baseline" Hawk mentions is a workable physics system), the fanbase will follow.

Arkam

I am hyped for the upcoming release (have pre-ordered on PS4)... but I have zero interest in 3 & 4 re-releasing. So much less nostalgia for those ones. BUT Definitely high on the idea of reviving the franchise and going a new direction. While Down Hill jam was crap... I liked that they tried something. Also loved the Cell shaded games on DS

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
I am hyped for the upcoming release (have pre-ordered on PS4)... but I have zero interest in 3 & 4 re-releasing. So much less nostalgia for those ones. BUT Definitely high on the idea of reviving the franchise and going a new direction. While Down Hill jam was crap... I liked that they tried something. Also loved the Cell shaded games on DS

I think I'm with you on this one. While they're good games, especially 3, I'd rather see an original title in the series that continues on from the style of Tony Hawk 2 and 3.

microtubule

I wonder what the preorder numbers are like so far. I have a feeling that so many have been burned in the past by Activision that they might be waiting for feedback once the game releases. If it plays as good as it looks currently this thing is going to sell like hotcakes and I would look forward to TH 3/4 as well.

Yes with so many tedious skate “simulators” with no objectives coming out this year we need a arcade skateboarding game that’s actually made for us old school gamers who love a good combo, skate came close but still not as great as og Tony Hawk

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
I wonder what the preorder numbers are like so far. I have a feeling that so many have been burned in the past by Activision that they might be waiting for feedback once the game releases. If it plays as good as it looks currently this thing is going to sell like hotcakes and I would look forward to TH 3/4 as well.

For anyone who preorders digitally, the Warehouse demo is going to be available a few weeks before the game releases. Everything I've seen suggests that they did a great job with the gameplay, but hearing the reactions that demo gets will be the determining factor for a lot of people.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Didn’t they already bring the 3/4 mechanics into the 1/2 release? I know that that 3/4 have bigger levels, more elaborate missions, etc., but I think that one remaster is enough myself.

KAL2006

Banned
Didn't 3 follow the same template as 1 and 2. Honestly they should have the just had 3 included in 1+2. It was with 4 where the franchise became more open ended.

If u were Activision I would forget about releasing 3+4 HD. And just release Tony Hawk 3 levels as DLC for 1+2. It would just be 8 new levels. Just release DLC slowly over the next 2 years. That would be 1 level every 3 months to keep things fresh. Then in 2 and half years release a all new Tony Hawk game for next gen.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Didn't 3 follow the same template as 1 and 2. Honestly they should have the just had 3 included in 1+2. It was with 4 where the franchise became more open ended.

If u were Activision I would forget about releasing 3+4 HD. And just release Tony Hawk 3 levels as DLC for 1+2. It would just be 8 new levels. Just release DLC slowly over the next 2 years. That would be 1 level every 3 months to keep things fresh. Then in 2 and half years release a all new Tony Hawk game for next gen.

I'd like a season pass that includes all of Tony Hawk 3, or selected levels from 3 along with some original content. There's a good chance we'll be seeing something like that, if the Crash Team Racing remake DLC is anything to go on. It's all going to depend on sales.

Here's an interesting video I watched on the subject a while back:

bender

What time is it?
THPS2 was perfection. I'll take 3 & 4 remasters even if I'm not the biggest fan of the mechanics they introduced.

More curious about the new direction. I don't want to get my hopes up but maybe they go for a more realistic game a la Skate. God knows they've tried just about everything else with the series. ...but probably VR.

Abear21

Banned
So bleed the remasters and past games dry, then give us something new? Sounds about right.

Not really salty and I’ll be picking this up when it releases!

Yumi

I wonder what made him want to get into video games again. Seems out of nowhere. Love it though

I'm curious about the new direction. The only thing I can think of is open worldish but actually lost interest in the series when they went that direction.

If Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 ends up being good I'd be down for more. I wonder what he means by new direction for the series. A world to skateboard in that is not on earth? Back to the Future style hoverboards like in Tricksryle? A game set in a post apocalyptic world?

The Fartist

Gold Member
Wow. Tony hawk still alive.
After the shit ton of money he made? He's more alive than ever. His knees, however...

tenor.gif

Plus, his son Riley is KILLING it on a board too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom