• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

zethren

Banned
Oh cool, I'm in Marietta - I was wondering if we'd see anything in Georgia.

Same (closer to Woodstock). It was awesome! Unfortunately not totality, but the whole office was out and having fun with it. Spooky lighting and eerie quietness haha

ZeroGravity

Pretty disappointing from my location. I honestly wouldn't even have known there was an eclipse going on from just being out there. Sunlight was barely dimmed.

Just a funny moment on NYT livestream

QfS4bhE.gif

"I got 99 shades but eclipse is gone."

And yeah, best way to enjoy partial eclipses is to look at the shadows. They're way more common too.

SO MUCH BLACK! I WON'T STAND FOR IT!

90% in my area and it was meh. It got dimmer and the cicadas started chirping. Also saw some cool shadows through the tree branches...and that was about it.

Lesson learned for 2024: 100% totality or bust.

HvySky

Wasn't 100% totality here but it got pretty damn dark. Was a really cool experience. Huge groups of people crowding the streets all looking up into the sky.

Day literally turns to night in the middle of the day, and you can see a ring of fire in the sly.

yeah, totally underwhelming.

It was neat to see it get darker, but it was more like late afternoon kinda dark. This is in Stone Mountain, GA, where we had a partial eclipse so maybe if you were right on the line it was super awesome. Didn't have special glasses so I was trying to take pictures through my cellphone, but apparently that's not able to capture the majesty because it just looks like the sun in a darker sky.

Not quite disappointed.gif but not the most amazing thing.

I'll try again in 2024 and be better prepared.

NR1

Dallas eclipse was such a letdown. It got a little dimmer, but it was still extremely bright outside. It looked cool through the glasses and all, but seeing the total eclipes happening in other areas looked amazing. Thankfully it flys right over Dallas in April 2024.

Weevilone

I was nervous that we'd not notice when totality ended, we'd keep the glasses off too long, etc.

It's nearly impossible b/c the whole thing changes.

Nameless

Yeah that was incredible, whatever words I string together wouldn't do it justice. Usually on smoke on weekends but fuck it I had to take a hit or two for this. Now back to work. Should be an interesting afternoon.

JB1981

I looked up directly at it a few times here in Jersey. I feel like my left eye hurts. Is I mean I didn't stare at the damn thing but gave it some side eye.

Columbia SC here, I was amazed, totality felt way too quick, wanted it to last forever. Felt so good outside, street lights came on, the view was unbelievable.

emb

Well, the darkness and temperature stuff didn't do much for me because of the storm, but the clouds move away long enough to see the sun mostly covered up.

Coolest part of the experience was just so many people from our office building going outside at the same time to see it. Silly as that sounds, it felt like an event.

Reversed

ELI5 on this

Took a photo on my phone of the sun from above (without looking at, of course). The sun is round, but near on its right there's a small reflection of what could be the eclipse.

Why does that happen? Shouldn't the photo be the eclipsed sun?

Edit: searching about it you can't take a photo of the eclipsed sun, but you see the eclipse thanks to the lens flare.

-griffy-

Banned
I caught a tiny glimpse of the sun itself right as totality ended. It was less than a second though. Hope I'll be alright

That's actually why it's so dangerous without glasses. When it gets dark your iris opens up cause it's like "Oh, there's no light, gotta open up and soak all the light in I can so my human can see." Then the moon moves and full sunlight comes instantly back right into your wide open eyeball.

ELI5 on this

Took a photo on my phone of the sun from above (without looking at, of course). The sun is round, but near on its right there's a small reflection of what could be the eclipse.

Why does that happen? Shouldn't the photo be the eclipsed sun?

The sun is still too bright for the camera, so it's just a big lens flare, but part of the lens flare is caused by the light reflecting off the glass elements in the lens, and one part of that shows a reflection of the sun that isn't at full strength, which is what you are seeing.

Kaizer

Banned
Same (closer to Woodstock). It was awesome! Unfortunately not totality, but the whole office was out and having fun with it. Spooky lighting and eerie quietness haha

Yeah ended up looking pretty cool, not 100% totality cool, but still very awesome. Had a great view from the backyard - all my neighbors were also out in their yards taking in the sight.

j-wood

All this talk of "don't look at the sun!" is the equivalent of don't push that button.

I couldn't really see much of the eclipse today but still a couple of times i drifted my eyes toward the sun and immediately had to look away. I don't know how anyone could stare at it.

Top Bottom