• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Traveling to Iran

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine invited me to an interesting group called "See You in Iran". Most of the posts seem to be from people who plan to travel to Iran, and are looking for information.

However, some people use it to share their experiences in Iran. There was a very interesting one among the recent posts:

As I was turning thirteen, I packed up everything I had to embark on a new life in Tehran with my Iranian mother and stepfather. In 1999, I left behind everyone and everything I knew in Los Angeles, including my American father. The culture shock was massive, to put it mildly. I had only been to Iran a couple times, including a trip as a child in 1991, the year Hollywood released 'Not Without My Daughter,' the film starring Sally Field depicting the real-life story of an American woman who makes a daring escape from Iran with her child amid a custody dispute with her Iranian husband. About the only other thing I had learned about Iran was that a man called “The Shah” once lived there, and that he’d had an arch nemesis named Khomeini.

I’m happy to report that I’m much better informed today (I'm an analyst and commentator on Middle East affairs with a focus on Iran). But back then, being a politically naïve teenager complicated my feelings of displacement and melancholy. One day reading aloud from the textbook about the Iranian revolution in my seventh grade history class, I got to the passage about Ayatollah Khomeini’s death in 1989. I pointed out the mistake to my teacher. After all, how could the man be dead when his image decorated every street and public building in Tehran? My classmates erupted in laughter. It took me a while to distinguish the morality enforcers of the komiteh from other branches of Iranian security; at the sight of ordinary conscripts, I would hurriedly tuck my hair under my headscarf, and put the sleeves of my manteau all the way down so not even my nails would show.

Being an American in Iran initially filled me with paranoia. Somehow I believed that if my nationality was discovered, I could be taken hostage—like the Americans at the U.S. embassy in 1979 (I only have a U.S. passport since they don't grant citizenship to children with foreign fathers). The bars on the windows of the Tehran International School reinforced my sense of dread. My young mind would wander to fantasies of American marines rescuing me from an Iranian prison. At the end of my first year of school in Tehran, I wrote “I Love Mullahs” in my textbooks before handing them back in—my own little insurance policy in case the Islamic Republic ever came for me. Whenever I saw American flags set ablaze or protesters chanting “Death To America” on state television, it confirmed my fear that Iranians hated the United States and everything about it.
It goes on here

Every time I watched a Iranian movie and read a translated novel, I am reminded of middle sized city life in China in the 80s. I mean it as a compliment.

I got intrigued when the Humans of New York dude visited Iran for a few weeks last year and took photos and talked with some locals there. The country has some pretty mountains and landscapes so it would be nice to visit as an American one day without fearing for my life.

I got intrigued when the Humans of New York dude visited Iran for a few weeks last year and took photos and talked with some locals there. The country has some pretty mountains and landscapes so it would be nice to visit as an American one day without fearing for my life.

People make a great difference between the government and the actual people of USA. So you really don't have to fear for your life if you go there but i am not well aware of the visa situation.
I saw Norman Finkelstein there, so i guess it's possible.

Have visited Iran twice, for two weeks each time iirc.

First time I wasreally young though. I can remember the other trip well though. Country itself is really great.

People make a great difference between the government and the actual people of USA. So you really don't have to fear for your life if you go there but i am not well aware of the visa situation.

I looked at the Iran Travel Warning and it looks like its pretty high risk. I'm too scared and I dont want to take any chances :/

Could you post the rest ? I somehow can't access it on facebook :(

It's prob because I don't have a fb account.

I think you have to join the group to read the rest. I cant access it either.

I looked at the Iran Travel Warning and it looks like its pretty high risk. I'm too scared and I dont want to take any chances :/

You won't be able to travel in many countries if you look about what the consulate say, in France they say the same thing and i never feel threatened, at the contrary they are very happy to see foreigners visiting and are eager to show that they are different than the stereotype.

But i can totally understand that it's not for everybody and it's obviously riskier to go there. Though i never felt safe as in Iran, you can literally go around with money in your hands in some cities. I even forget my cellphone in a cab (a quiet good cellphone) and he went back to my hotel to give it to me. Amazing.

I saw this Anthony Bourdain episode on Iran a few days ago.
Link.

I found it fascinating and sad at the same time.
By the looks of it, the people seem really friendly (especially the younger generation), but they seem to be held back by the older generation who still have power over the country.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Heading there for a snowboarding trip in Feb. Will definitely be checking in on this thread :)

Have had several friends go, all from Australia, and they absolutely loved it.

Mimosa97

The pb with visiting Iran when you're not a US-citizen is that it gets a LOT harder for you to enter the US

Crazy how other countries don't give a fuck about it but the US goes all paranoid on your ass if you've ever been there.

I saw this Anthony Bourdain episode on Iran a few days ago.
Link.

I found it fascinating and sad at the same time.
By the looks of it, the people seem really friendly (especially the younger generation), but they seem to be held back by the older generation who still have power over the country.

That was great, thanks for sharing!

I'm starving now after watching that.

F!ReW!Re

Met a lot of people on the road last year that had been there and they said they couldn't recommend it enough.

Appearantly the locals are very friendly and a lot of them had stories about constantly being invited for tea or food by people there. Most of them were told that the locals wanted to show that the people of Iran are friendly and welcoming.
Also heard they've got great historical sites to visit.

Definitely on my list to visit one day.

lucille-portable.gif

Why would the Iranian government care at all for a random American like you? Answer is, they don't, stop it with you persecution complex.

Mimosa97

lucille-portable.gif

Why would the Iranian government care at all for a random American like you? Answer is, they don't, stop it with you persecution complex.

I wouldn't go there if I was an American. They could arrest for spying even if you were innocent.

As for myself, as a french citizen I would gladly go to Iran without fear.

E-phonk

Banned
Going to Iran next month for 2 weeks.

We land at teheran, plan is to go to Yazd, Garmeh (for some dessert trip to Ateshooni) and then Shiraz (with a daytrip to Persepolis), Esfehan, and ending in Teheran again to fly back.
Ofcourse we checked the obvious guides like Lonely Planet and the FB group mentioned above, but if anyone would have any other usefull advice feel free to let me know!

Flai

Lots of long-distance bicyclists bike through Iran and everyone I've heard has said that the people in Iran are some of the nicest and most welcoming people in the world :)

I think I'll stay here.

Why take the risk?
What risk?

Turkey is pretty much like a Western country in the major cities and Western regions. However this year there have been several terrorist attacks and an attempted bloody army coup.

Iran is not like a Western country due to the Islamic Conservative laws, but doesn't have any terror attacks nor bloody attempted army coup.

So looking at it that way, Iran is safer than Turkey. Safer than France even.

I think you have to join the group to read the rest. I cant access it either.

I'm going to Iran in November, was talked into it by a friend of mine. Though I am dutch, that travel warning - does not - fill me with confidence. The bit regarding risks to aircraft due to shit going down in Syria mostly.

One of my best friends growing up and my best friend in college were both Iranian Americans. I've wanted to visit the country for a long time. Unfortunately, I'm too established in my life to do something like that now, and there's no way my wife would go for it. I hope relations between the US and Iran improve over the next few decades so I can eventually make a trip happen down the road.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I'm going to Iran in November, was talked into it by a friend of mine. Though I am dutch, that travel warning - does not - fill me with confidence. The bit regarding risks to aircraft due to shit going down in Syria mostly.

You won't be flying over Syrian airspace, over Turkey or Saudi Arabia. Check it on Flightradar, where the main two corridors are

E-phonk

Banned

A late reply, but just got back from a 2 week trip to Iran and there is nothing to fear imo. We went to Teheran, Yazd, Shiraz and Esfehan + a night stay in the desert.

Amazing experience, unimaginable views and sights, friendly people and good hotels/food etc.
Have some pictures up at my instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ephonkdmd

A late reply, but just got back from a 2 week trip to Iran and there is nothing to fear imo. We went to Teheran, Yazd, Shiraz and Esfehan + a night stay in the desert.

Amazing experience, unimaginable views and sights, friendly people and good hotels/food etc.
Have some pictures up at my instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ephonkdmd

Went to all those same places and loved it, I guess that's the standard "tourist" (not that they get many, which is a plus) route. People were so friendly, and just walking around, the people would just come up and chat all the time, and ask to have pictures taken with you. Well mainly the young people, as they had better English, but some of the older people would get the youngsters to translate for them. Never felt threatened or unsafe through the whole journey, and that was travelling by myself, and just randomly wandering all around the towns and cities, and using public transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom