• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Travis Knight (director of the best Transformers movie, Bumblebee) is making Masters of the Universe releasing June 5, 2026

ManaByte

Gold Member

According to its official synopsis, “Masters of the Universe” introduces a 10-year-old Prince Adam, who crashed to Earth in a spaceship and was separated from his magical Power Sword — the only link to his home on Eternia.

“After tracking it down almost two decades later,” the synopsis explains, “Prince Adam is whisked back across space to defend his home planet against the evil forces of Skeletor. But to defeat such a powerful villain, Prince Adam will first need to uncover the mysteries of his past and become He-Man: the most powerful man in the Universe!”

Seems like a reverse of the 1987 movie that started on Eternia and spent the movie on Earth. This time they're doing Prince Adam who goes to Eternia from Earth.

willothedog

Better have Gwildor or gtfo.

masters of the universe deal with it GIF by Travis Falligant

Jinzo Prime

This is great news. Travis should be directing the new Transformers movie, but Hasbro and Paramount are stupid. Chris Butler is writing and his credits look solid for this kind of film.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Sounds shite.

Why bring earth into it?
Agreed, what value does raising him on Earth have? If we need an "outsider" character to ask dumb questions and serve as audience exposition then WTF are they even doing? Eternia has about the most basic and well understood fantasy structure EVER. You got a kinda weak King. Smoking hot MILF Queen. Adam as prince is a bit nerdy and reluctant. BUT he gets JACKED TO THE TITS as He-man and BRINGS THE PAIN on a motley assortment of goofball bad guys all under the dubious leadership of megalomanic Skeletor. All the while Man-at-Arms and the Sorceress are desperately trying to holds things together and Teela has the hots for He-man (naturally) but Adam is really the one who has to work up the courage to claim her as his own.

How fucking hard is this?

Or just go back to the OG small comics where He-man is just He-man, all the time, and it's a more gritty barbarian technofantasy tale about finding the secrets to Greyskull as these tribal warriors form alliances with and against each other.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Sounds shite.

Why bring earth into it?
Agreed, what value does raising him on Earth have? If we need an "outsider" character to ask dumb questions and serve as audience exposition then WTF are they even doing? Eternia has about the most basic and well understood fantasy structure EVER. You got a kinda weak King. Smoking hot MILF Queen. Adam as prince is a bit nerdy and reluctant. BUT he gets JACKED TO THE TITS as He-man and BRINGS THE PAIN on a motley assortment of goofball bad guys all under the dubious leadership of megalomanic Skeletor. All the while Man-at-Arms and the Sorceress are desperately trying to holds things together and Teela has the hots for He-man (naturally) but Adam is really the one who has to work up the courage to claim her as his own.

How fucking hard is this?

Or just go back to the OG small comics where He-man is just He-man, all the time, and it's a more gritty barbarian technofantasy tale about finding the secrets to Greyskull as these tribal warriors form alliances with and against each other.

Prince Adam is half-Terran. His mother was from Earth.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Prince Adam is half-Terran. His mother was from Earth.
In what source? I don't recall that in the OG cartoon or comics.

Not that I really care, but what does it add? Unless they plan on him being a Ranger and bringing 7.62mm pain on Eternia or something in the form of a fully equipped Ranger Company storming the place......which I would pay to see actually :p

jason10mm

Gold Member
The original episode....explanation at 4:19.

Well I'll be, I damn near lived breathed and sweated he-man for about 2 years as a kid and would have gone down fighting thinking there was no earth connection in heman, certainly not his mom being an astronaut.

Regardless, him living on earth for a bit makes me think of Starlord in GotG or that terrible Jupiter Ascending movie. But who knows.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm curious if they will do the duality aspect and transformation, or just have him stay the same like the first film. If he is 30 in the film then that's what I'd expect, no point having a scrawny adult man turn into a beast, no real story there versus the teen boy becoming a man (Shazam does this fairly well). These days the true Hulk humans are pretty scarse, or if they do bulk up like Richtenson they have that boated HGH look instead of that chiseled wasp waisted classic bodybuilder look from the good old days. So I'd rather have a leaner guy versus a swollen PED actor, unless they can find a wrestler or athlete, but there are lots of lean guys who can get a few extra pounds of muscle for the role in this age range. Definitely don't need either Adam or He-man being a CGIed version of the actor, that crap is just distracting unless its used in a very limited context like Captain America.

If he does start off at 30, then he's gonna be a cop, soldier, or something like that I hope, none of this "reluctant hero" bullshit, that's a narrative for a child facing manhood, not a grown ass adult. I want him already competent at warfare, then he just has to roll into Eternia and get tougher, not learn how to fight from the get go (and have Teela clown him for the first 2 acts).

Curious if the director will get Hailee Steinfeld back as Teela...get her some red hair and 6 months in the gym and we are talking! Plus she is 27 so an appropriate age for a love interest.

1hUgVrT.jpeg

The original movie is so terrible, I fuckin love it. Langella just chewing scenery, Mr. Strickland as a cop acting just like Mr. Strickland, Courtney Cox sucking the life out of any scene she’s in.

It is a masterpiece of bad cinema, some almost Ed Wood level shit.

DKehoe

MOTU deserves a good live action movie. The 1987 one is a New Gods movie labeled as MOTU. Even the filmmakers admit that's what they made.
That was nearly 40 years ago. Why not just leave it be. Kids can get stuff that's not just a retread of past generations and adults can move on.

I can't wait to find out what a woke He-Man movie would look like. Is it even appropriate to call him "He-Man" in 2024? What will they rename him to?

jason10mm

Gold Member
I can't wait to find out what a woke He-Man movie would look like. Is it even appropriate to call him "He-Man" in 2024? What will they rename him to?
Just call him Adam I bet. With "He-man" slipped in as a joke somewhere.

But I dunno, Bumblebee was played pretty honest, not mocking the source material. Same thing may happen here.

poodaddy

Bumblebee is indeed the least awful Transformers movie....meaning I didn't fall asleep immediately for it, but I did get sleep about half way through.

This will be awful.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Today I learned that Tom Paris from Voyager was in the original 1987 movie.

It's actually on TV right now on Comet.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Today I learned that Tom Paris from Voyager was in the original 1987 movie.

It's actually on TV right now on Comet.
They reused a lot of actors. James Cromwell was in a TNG ep as some mustached alien president before he was in First Contact. Picard strangely didn't note the similarities:p

Toons

I'll believe it when I see a trailer. Theyve been trying to get a MOTU film off the ground for like 20 years at this point

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
They reused a lot of actors. James Cromwell was in a TNG ep as some mustached alien president before he was in First Contact. Picard strangely didn't note the similarities:p
I think you might have misunderstood me. I'm saying that the actor who plays Tom Paris (Robert Duncan McNeill) in Voyager was in the old Masters of the Universe movie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom