• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trek to Yomi - Gameplay Trailer | PS5, PS4

The Fartist

Gold Member

rub-hands.gif

Looks sorta like a hybrid side scrolling Ghost of Tsushima. I know we shouldn't use other games as a barometer to judge against since games are made different, but I look at it as a good thing. This will scratch the itch for people who want more samurai combat.

Last edited:
B-But you don't get it, it's called ART!
I would assume a lot of people actually don't get it. I remember when Ghost of Tsushima started showing off some trailers and a lot of people seemed completely unaware that it was trying to emulate old samurai movies in terms of its choreography and animations, and the black / white mode. I think there's a large amount of people that have probably never actually watched an old samurai movie.

This looked like fun game. Just need to adjust the brightness as I don't like very dark games. Today we got one more playstation trailer but this one looks more interesting and at least the protagonist doesn't comment every 10 seconds about everything.

Dr Bass

I would assume a lot of people actually don't get it. I remember when Ghost of Tsushima started showing off some trailers and a lot of people seemed completely unaware that it was trying to emulate old samurai movies in terms of its choreography and animations, and the black / white mode. I think there's a large amount of people that have probably never actually watched an old samurai movie.
They are not in black and white, but I just finished rewatching the Samurai I-III movies. Those movies are a little melodramatic, but Toshiro Mifune was such a great actor. I think the black and white look of this game is great of course, but I'm a fan of those older movies. Seven Samurai obviously. Sword of Doom. Yojimbo/Sanjuro. Throne of Blood. Rashomon.
iBut still, they probably ARE greatly limiting their appeal by going this way. I know this is also on PlayStation but It would be ironic if MS started becoming the purveyor of small artistic games via Game Pass that would have little chance of typical success. I would definitely have to say kudos if that became the case.

reksveks

It would be ironic if MS started becoming the purveyor of small artistic games via Game Pass that would have little chance of typical success
I wonder how you would try to remove the subjective nature of 'smart artistic game' away. Two of my favourite games this year has been unpacking and artful escape so it's definitely skewing my view.

Fuz

Banned
Holy shit that looks good.

I personally love the "Kurosawa's" style and the black and white, but I wonder the appeal it could have on the big market.

The Fartist

Gold Member
Yeah, to me it's developers trying too hard to look cult.

I watch old movies like Ikiru and Chaplin without any issues, because I acknowledge those were the limitations of those times.
But games? Unless you're trying to emulate the look of Game Boy games (or manga), then it just looks like a pretentious move to be frank.

"Oh look, we know who Akira Kurosawa is! See how smart and cult we are! Now buy our games because we are so unique and smart!"

edgy-so.gif

SLB1904

Banned

I watch old movies like Ikiru and Chaplin without any issues, because I acknowledge those were the limitations of those times.
But games? Unless you're trying to emulate the look of Game Boy games (or manga), then it just looks like a pretentious move to be frank.

"Oh look, we know who Akira Kurosawa is! See how smart and cult we are! Now buy our games because we are so unique and smart!"
there are literally millions of games out there, but because of one game, you are losing it. chill out

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
not trying to sound like a knobhead but... maybe the game isnt for you

Not trying to call you a knobhead, but kindly refer to my original post where i said "Looks interesting, but im personally not interested in a 100% black and white game"

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Not trying to call you a knobhead, but kindly refer to my original post where i said "Looks interesting, but im personally not interested in a 100% black and white game"
what i meant is the game wasn't made for you. hence why you are not interested. its not a big deal at all. was just an observation

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its pretty sad that a lot if younger people have not had the chance to watch a black and white movie on a big cinema screen,

I've seen a few in my time and I have to say after an initial period of adjustment you kinda forget about the lack of colour, and it somehow becomes kinda immersive in a way that colour film isn't. Its an odd phenomenon but I assure you its very real.

nikolino840

There's b&w movies and photos todays so why not games

Concern

Imma sucker for these types of games. Really dig this and Sifu. May go back and do the GoT dlc too when I get a Ps5.

The Fartist

Gold Member
Thought I was the only one. Such a stupid "artistic" choice. It's like saying chromatic aberration makes games look better. I'll never understand these kind of choices.

If you like Kurosawa films and video games; buy this game.

If you don't; don't buy this game.

It's that simple. Crazy, I know.

Fuz

Banned

5xv7gn.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

kill me suicide GIF

Top Bottom