• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is The Best Star Trek Videogame?

Power Pro

25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites

As shitty as it is in comparison, I think the NES version is decent for what it is also. Both games really have some deep cuts for real Star Trek fans.

Also Star Trek The Next Generation for Sega Genesis was pretty good too, but avoid the SNES version, because that one is straight up unfinished compared to the Genesis one.

There was also a PC Star Trek TNG game with the voice of the cast called A Final Unity. No idea how hard it is to get it working on modern setups though. Fortunately, the 25th Anniversary Game, and it's sequel Judgment Rites are both on Steam.

The Stig

Star Trek TNG A final Unity.

Incredible point n click adventure voiced by the entire cast! It has all the gameplay of the previous TOS games (25th anniv. and judgement rites) but the space battles are way more impressive to look at and if you take time to learn the controls can be quite rewarding.

rr217xjbq9i5dv55saxl.png

fdqfiw3kzun1lnewinfm.png

STFU-003.png

space battles can be half screen and full screen.

Last edited:

Power Pro

Lol, I just bought Resurgence. Its on sale for Xbox.

It's a tell tale like game

I got this pretty cheap for Xbox also...been thinking about playing it, I'm just afraid of being disappointed. I love classic Star Trek so much, and 90% of new trek has been god awful to me. The one exception has been season 3 of Picard. I'm willing to give it a try at some point, but I'm just afraid to lol Got to build up strength for it.

The Stig

If space combat is what you want, Klingon Academy is amazing. Has incredible depth and graphics.

Not too easy to get running on windows 10.

Starfleet academy is older and less impressive but great fun with cool story cutscenes. also available on gog.com for cheap.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I really loved Resurgence, I even voted as "most underrated game" in this year's GAF GOTY.

I got this pretty cheap for Xbox also...been thinking about playing it, I'm just afraid of being disappointed. I love classic Star Trek so much, and 90% of new trek has been god awful to me. The one exception has been season 3 of Picard. I'm willing to give it a try at some point, but I'm just afraid to lol Got to build up strength for it.
I can't stand the new Star Trek shows. Resurgence takes place in the post-Voyager time period, and could easily exist in a world where Discovery, Picard, etc. never got green lit.

The Stig

s3 of picard was what I had been waiting 20+ years for after the main show ended

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm not sure my taste in Star Trek games can be trusted though... I also really liked Bridge Commander, Star Trek: Legacy, and Star Trek (2013, the cover shooter)

Ozzie666

Still a big fan of the 2 Interplay efforts in the early 90's. That style of game and unvierse worked well together. The second one Judgement rites, was a juggernaut. 25th Anniversay was good too with the speech pack. But obviously so typical of PC point and click adventures of the era.

The 16 bit star trek games on SNES and Genesis seem to get a lot of love too.

Ailike

A Final Unity felt as close to a Star Trek episode as you could get from a video game. I don't know how it would hold up now, but it was awesome 25 years ago.

Last edited:

Ailike

Also, -not- Star Trek Online. I fomo'd my way through that game for over a decade, and now that I'm out, it's a huge weight off my shoulders.

StereoVsn

Incredible point n click adventure voiced by the entire cast! It has all the gameplay of the previous TOS games (25th anniv. and judgement rites) but the space battles are way more impressive to look at and if you take time to learn the controls can be quite rewarding.

rr217xjbq9i5dv55saxl.png

fdqfiw3kzun1lnewinfm.png

STFU-003.png

Oh, snap, never played this one. Loved Judgment Rights and 25th anniversary. Need to hunt down a download for this one.

CGNoire

I've been binging on Star Trek TV shows recently. Watched Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, Star Trek: Picard, and Star Trek: Lower Decks. I got to thinking and realized I have never played a Star Trek videogame. I know there have been plenty throughout the years. Which one is the best? Provide videos or pics if you can.
25th Aniversary.

CGNoire

As shitty as it is in comparison, I think the NES version is decent for what it is also. Both games really have some deep cuts for real Star Trek fans.

Also Star Trek The Next Generation for Sega Genesis was pretty good too, but avoid the SNES version, because that one is straight up unfinished compared to the Genesis one.

There was also a PC Star Trek TNG game with the voice of the cast called A Final Unity. No idea how hard it is to get it working on modern setups though. Fortunately, the 25th Anniversary Game, and it's sequel Judgment Rites are both on Steam.
The Nes version kicks ass as well for sure.

Like everyone else, I think just for a moment, imagine a fully realised Star Trek experience that was like Star Citizen, Starfield, Mass Effect, all rolled into one.

With away team exploration, ship battles, combat, intrigue, dialogue choices, all with the correct uniforms, ships, with the lore, the different races, factions.
You could visit the Starfleet Academy hub in San Francisco, battle Klingons in space combat, beam down to inhospitable planets to find resources or set up outposts.

I'm not even a Trekkie and I'd be balls deep in that.

It has probably more untapped potential than any I.P I've ever seen...and yet, all we've got are rather generic mobile games.
I know there is older stuff, but I want something in eye melting 4k ultra, something pin sharp and richly textured, with the scale and complexity we now come to expect from the technology we have.

Perhaps, it's a question of money, and no publisher can meet the demands of the company that has the rights to the I.P?

Regardless, I personally feel like it could be something special if enough time, and resources, and talent were available.

Last edited:

How is this? I just seen it in the store, but I'm skeptical in star trek as everything after enterprise ended has been shit. Picard, and discovery are trash and don't resemble trek to me. This looks the part, but it could be bait and switch. A one played it?

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
A few mentions already but I need to also advocate for Voyager: Elite Force.

Especially with the expansion, virtual Voyager. Personally I see Voyager as the weakest series but it has its moments and the game does a great job of making you actually feel like you're on the ship. Pacing is top notch too and shooting is average to good.

Not my favorite series but I've seen all the episodes and Raven put in a ton of nice nods to the show and Easter eggs.

With the expansion you can even use the holodeck!

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Birth of the Federation was a very good 4X game way back in the day, probably better than the one that just came out.

Allandor

rr217xjbq9i5dv55saxl.png

fdqfiw3kzun1lnewinfm.png

STFU-003.png

This.a final unity deserves a remaster.
After it judgement right + 25th anniversary.
Star Trek Armada and elite force were great games with Star Trek vibes but missed the whole point of what star trek is about. Same goes for academy. Bridge commander was great but q big t to complicated for normal beings. Legacy was also a nice action based game, still wonder why this hasn't been made compatible with xb1.

Last edited:

RespawnX

Elite Force is clearly one of the best games, engine and movement are based on Q3: Arena. There's not much that comes close. Golden age of Raven Software, The story was good, the multiplayer was very lively for many years, including the modding community. Part 2 was also good, unfortunately the multiplayer wasn't as vivid.

Star Trek Armada was also really cool, with plenty of mods for the second entry. Bridge Commander was nice but buggy and quite complex. Fleet command II and III also were good games.

Hudo

Star Trek Armada III. But that's a mod.

As for a "real" Star Trek game: Star Trek: Elite Force I and II.

Like everyone else, I think just for a moment, imagine a fully realised Star Trek experience that was like Star Citizen, Starfield, Mass Effect, all rolled into one.

With away team exploration, ship battles, combat, intrigue, dialogue choices, all with the correct uniforms, ships, with the lore, the different races, factions.
You could visit the Starfleet Academy hub in San Francisco, battle Klingons in space combat, beam down to inhospitable planets to find resources or set up outposts.

I'm not even a Trekkie and I'd be balls deep in that.

It has probably more untapped potential than any I.P I've ever seen...and yet, all we've got are rather generic mobile games.
I know there is older stuff, but I want something in eye melting 4k ultra, something pin sharp and richly textured, with the scale and complexity we now come to expect from the technology we have.

Perhaps, it's a question of money, and no publisher can meet the demands of the company that has the rights to the I.P?

Regardless, I personally feel like it could be something special if enough time, and resources, and talent were available.
Funny enough, this is what Rogue Trader does for the most part and that is Warhammer 40,000.

We need a Star Trek game like that.

Top Bottom