• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trevor Noah Under fire for racist and americanized remark about the World Cup Winner France

Dunki

Ok short post. TrevorNoah is now under heavy fire because of his remarks regarding the Victory of France at the World Cup.
This was his comment.

The France players are now very furius and even the France Embadessor slams his comment as very racist

"I heard your words about ‘an African victory,’ nothing could be less true. ... By calling them an African team, it seems you are denying their Frenchness," Araud said his letter on Wednesday. "This, even in jest, legitimizes the ideology which claims whiteness as the only definition of being French."[

Araud acknowledged that some of the team members' "parents may have come from another country," but he said all but two of the 23 players were born in France.

"They were educated in France, they learned to play soccer in France, and they are French citizens," he said. "They are proud of their country, France."
https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainmen...ud-slams-trevor-noah-africa/story?id=56681199

I think this incident really shows how different people in America and we in Europe view race. It is quite ironic that actual right wing politicians would not call them French but black and African. people like Le Pen would have the same opinion as Noah . This comment especially is true

Araud also took a jab at America, saying, "Unlike the United States of America, France does not refer to their citizens based on their race, religion or origin."
You are born in Germany you are German You are born in France you are French it is a pretty easy and simple concept here.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
But racism = prejudice + power and he’s black so he literally has no power so he’s just prejudiced he can’t be racist /s

Seriously though, it was a joke. They need to get over it.

Dunki

Love his response

When even the players disagree with this you should really now when to stop to try to put your americanized views into others. He also did not say black people he said African a total different Nationality. And when all but 2 were even born in France you can not argue with this at all. Noah is fucking entitled and forces to push his americanized and tone deaf opinion on others.

And what he wants to include does not matter at all. They are all French not African.

BraveOne

And what he wants to include does not matter at all. They are all French not African.

Yeah Noah knows that .. which is why he specified what me meant

"When I'm saying 'African,' I'm not saying it to exclude them from their French-ness -- I'm saying it to include them in my African-ness. I'm saying, 'I see you, my French brother of African descent,"

His acknowledging their African decent and them being French

Last edited:

Dunki

Yeah Noah knows that .. which is why he specified what me meant

His acknowledging their African decent and them being French
Again it does not matter what he wants to do. The players do not want it. They are french they want o be french and not black or whatever he wants them to be. This is how integration works. You want to be part of the country you are in. They have no African-ness they have French-ness

Lanrutcon

Again it does not matter what he wants to do. The players do not want it. They are french they want o be french and not black or whatever he wants them to be. This is how integration works. You want to be part of the country you are in. They have no African-ness they have French-ness

(Think there's a language barrier here)

Those dudes are of African descent. They are of French nationality. They are both those things. Ancestral race, ethnicity (cultural) and nationality can all be different for a person.

Dunki

Those dudes are of African descent. They are of French nationality. They are both those things. Ancestral race, ethnicity (cultural) and nationality can all be different for a person.
I know what descent means in this regard everyone is African descent. They do not want to be called that why can we not respect what they want? We do not need American views.

Papa

Banned

Dunki and I have talked a lot about the difference between race and culture recently and I think you’re on the same page. These guys are ethnically African and culturally French.

Dunki

trevor noah is a massive goober but jesus people got mad over that? big fucking deal
People get mad because this is what right wing parties in France always say. you are black you are not french. These people feel and are french they were born in France they were educated and raised with french values. For us it is racist.

It was a funny joke, and even when asked to defend and deconstruct it, I felt Noah did a stand-up job in making the point that these players are both French and African, and that if people want to celebrate their African origins, then that's fair enough. I don't think that comes at the price of denying their "Frenchness", so to speak.

If I was French, I'd be pissed off at all this Africa talk. What's the point of winning the World Cup if you keep hearing Africa? May as well have not bothered.

People get mad because this is what right wing parties in France always say. you are black you are not french. These people feel and are french they were born in France they were educated and raised with french values. For us it is racist.

well he aint french and doesnt have that point of view. they can whine and be like 'bro but you dont understaaaand' im glad he gave that response if thats how people are going to act. and its a fucking joke

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
"It´s more of a reflection on France´s colonialism."

That was a pretty good burn.

Overall, I thought it was a good response to the criticism. I also liked the part where he said "We live in a world where nuance is of short supply." Couldn´t be more truer.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

I know what descent means in this regard everyone is African descent. They do not want to be called that why can we not respect what they want? We do not need American views.

I'm not American, ftr. If the players are getting called black in a derogatory fashion, then I'm all with you: that is bullshit. I don't think Noah was using it in that way though. I think it's important we understand the intention with the joke was not to insult the players, France or belittle the accomplishment of winning the world cup.

Dunki and I have talked a lot about the difference between race and culture recently and I think you’re on the same page. These guys are ethnically African and culturally French.

Ah, ok. Apologies.

Enosh

You are born in Germany you are German You are born in France you are French it is a pretty easy and simple concept here.
you are born in a barn, you're a horse
Trevor is right, it was an african team at the WC, except for like 2 or 3 players

Last edited:

Dunki

you are born in a barn, you're a horse
Trevor is right, it was an african team at the WC, except for like 2 or 3 players
This is such bullshit But I expect nothing else from American centered view to be honest. our whole concept and view about race is totally different then ours in Europe.
You are born in France you have a french passport so you are french. These people feel french they want to be french and you have the nerve to decide what they are and what not? What kind of entitlement gives you the right to do so?

I'm not American, ftr. If the players are getting called black in a derogatory fashion, then I'm all with you: that is bullshit. I don't think Noah was using it in that way though. I think it's important we understand the intention with the joke was not to insult the players, France or belittle the accomplishment of winning the world cup.
The problem I and many other people he told it from his own perspective and how people in America would often view it. But he has no idea about how it works in Europe and he does not even care what the players who won the Championship think about all this. This is my biggest gripe. Also even if his intention did not mean it in a racist view he should respect the people who he used for this. The French players

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Yeah I dont get it. Why call them Africans? These folks are french... All this must be tiring for the players. I gues Trevor and le pen can both agree that they are not French enough.. 100% agree with the french embassador.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
If I were to say the same thing about the Croatian team had they won, as a "European victory", despite the fact that I have no Croatian relatives, wouldn't that sound racist? If the shoe fits, wear it.

Huh, really strange. Trevor Noah's skin doesn't appear to be white. How can he possibly be racist?

I am triggered, shook, woke, and offended.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Huh, really strange. Trevor Noah's skin doesn't appear to be white. How can he possibly be racist?

I am triggered, shook, woke, and offended.

Your post makes a lot of sense, except for the fact that noone ever said non whites can't be racist, ever.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Daily Show has a small army of writers and producers. It went through many hands before it got on air. To accuse Trevor Noah specifically is unbelievably fucking stupid.

Kadayi

Banned
The differential lies in that in Europe we don't do the racial delineation thing as part of our identity unlike in the US. We don't do African-German or Swiss-Asian for instance.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
The French have a very very defined idea of what 'France' and 'French' is. It's very different to that of other countries - even in Europe.

Last edited:

rbanke

I feel like I'm getting more and more out of touch. Almost anytime I read things saying someone is 'Under Heavy Fire' (or whatever extreme hyperbolic way you can say that a few more people than normal are angry on twitter) I read or watch what they said and am left thinking 'thats it?'.

This is one of those.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
The crazy thing about this is that if he posted a picture of an American sports team that won something, and they were all black, and he made the same joke about it being the African team, there's a large, loud group of social media users who would be cheering. It would suddenly be brave and "truth, fam."

Panda1

Banned
this is a case of if a black person says it's not racist but a white person to say it would be racist

Dunki

Guys, sometimes when you tell a joke you have to intentionally fudge the truth a bit. It’s gonna be ok.
If this was just a joke he could have said it. But he did not he even explained why he said it not as a joke. It was in the end not a joke but a statement based on his americanized view on Race and ethnicity. And if he really cared about it he should have said that it was a just a joke and the French Team is right. France has won.

Last edited:

Helios

I'm not sure what the outrage is about. I think France's victory is very important for all of us homo sapiens bros. Neanderthals get fucked.

Ulysses 31

Your post makes a lot of sense, except for the fact that noone ever said non whites can't be racist, ever.
Uhm that's being said all the time by folks who define racism as power + prejudice, minorities can't be racist/sexism etc towards white people because they don't hold the power in society.

Skyr

I'm not sure what the outrage is about. I think France's victory is very important for all of us homo sapiens bros. Neanderthals get fucked.

I think it's overdue that we get attacked by aliens. Any race dicussions will go out the window instantly.

I'm not actually sure Trevor Noah viewpoint could be considered Americanized instead of South African. I remember him talking a long while ago on how his perception of race is different from that of America due to his experiences growing up in South Africa as a person of mixed race and ethnicity.

I'm not actually sure Trevor Noah viewpoint could be considered Americanized instead of South African. I remember him talking a long while ago on how his perception of race is different from that of America due to his experiences growing up in South Africa as a person of mixed race and ethnicity.
Nah, that's just the Left's version of "my best friend is black so I'm allowed to say it".

You can't make racially-charged statements about other nations (arrogant and insensitive much?) and then backpedal by going "well, I'm South African so maybe I don't see race like you folks do".

He clearly knew what he was saying which is why he doubled down in his retort.

Nah, that's just the Left's version of "my best friend is black so I'm allowed to say it".

You can't make racially-charged statements about other nations (arrogant and insensitive much?) and then backpedal by going "well, I'm South African so maybe I don't see race like you folks do".

He clearly knew what he was saying which is why he doubled down in his retort.

it was a joke and he didnt apologize for the joke which is what id rather have then groveling after someone gets mad

Atrus

Gold Member
Trevor pushes the notion that the most significant manner in which we form those ties should be the color of ones skin. Nobody is wondering whether Giroud is African because he is White and the implicit assumption is that the Black players must be different from their White players in some measure because they are not White; the Curse of Ham reborn.

You could always come out and claim to be more exacting in your view as to someones quasi-ancestry, but its clear you're not opening the dna ancestry tree of these players more than you are labelling people by skin color. The show even shows a team photo to get their point across.

At what point then would Trevor call the players European? How many generations must one reach back? By that same token, are the only Australians the Aboriginals? Are the only Americans the Natives? Should Australians and Americans celebrate a European World Cup win? Colonialism may play a big part as to how some people came to be French and obtain Frenchness, but at some point thereafter some people are simply born into a culture that is theirs.

This is the part Trevor Noah has to accept.

What Trevor himself said in that response is what he should've thought of before saying the joke: Context matters. And the context of Europe and the way Europe deals with race, is totally different than the way the US does. In the US saying african-american is a normal thing, in Europe saying african-french is a way to discriminate.

Where i'm from, stating someone is black is offensive, while stating someone is negro is the PC way. If I go to the States and for whatever reason I have the need to identify a black person's race, i'm not gonna say he's negro. Because context matters, of course!

Top Bottom