• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Triangle Strategy |OT| Run Past Through the Plain

Komatsu

0000-TRIANGLE-STRAT-BANNER.png

GENERAL INFORMATION
Developers: Artdink, Square-Enix
Publisher: Nintendo
Genre: Tactical RPG
Price: USD59.99
Release Date: 4th March 2022

0000-TRIANGLE-STRAT-STORY.png

The game takes place on the fictional continent of Norzelia. The story focuses on a new conflict thirty years after the "Saltiron War", a war between three countries of the continent - Glenbrook, Aesfrost, and Hyzante - that arose over fighting for the scarce resources of salt and iron. The game follows protagonist Serenoa Wolffort, his childhood friend Prince Roland, Serenoa’s fiancée Princess Frederica Aesfrost, and the steward of House Wolffort Benedict, as they attempt to navigate their way through the conflict.

Switch-ND021721-PTS-SCRN-10.jpg
Switch-ND021721-PTS-SCRN-11.jpg

Switch-ND021721-PTS-SCRN-12.jpg
Switch-ND021721-PTS-SCRN-13.jpg

0000-TRIANGLE-STRAT-GAMEDIA.png

center]

image.png

image.png

All images, media, etc. are the property of Square Enix and/or Nintendo. Images and screenshots taken from the Nintendo Store, strictly for informational purposes.

Andyliini

Not this is a great OT. I'm looking forward to picking up my copy today. The demo really worked on me, even though I did not like Octopath Traveler that much, or wasn't a fan of Final Fantasy Tactics.

DelireMan7

I dropped Octopath Traveler and got quickly tired of the HD-2D artstyle.

Still this game catch my attention. I will not take it now but will for sure give a try later.

Setzer

Really enjoyed the demo and looking forward to playing this after Elden Ring.

For those of you that are interested in the limited edition version of the game, Amazon UK has it back up for pre-order.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Held back on the Demo until 2 days ago so that I could use it as a means of effectively getting the game early. Just finished the demo last night so awaiting my physical copy (Special Edition because I'm weak) so I can continue the game from where I left off.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Love the look of the game and the overall impression of the story from the campaign - I can never get in to Square’s writing though. Looks great for people that like it though.

Irobot82

It's a very long, fairly complex SRPG. Don't regret buying it.

It looks like a great game and I can't wait to play it, just not $60.

same.

I'll wait for that Steam and or PS5 port, buy used, buy on deep, deep sale.......used lol
Yeah, I have the patience of a saint, FFVII Remake finally released on PC but on Epic so I'm still waiting. Square ain't worth it anymore.

Shifty1897

About six hours in, and I'm very surprised how much I'm liking it. It very much feels like someone who loved Final Fantasy Tactics wanted to make a Game of Thrones game, and much like Game of Thrones, the story starts out slow and lore heavy but then things starts to really pick up speed around chapter five.

The_hunter

Looking forward to playing this in the future, after elden ring. I love strategy games, been forever since we got an SRPG. The music in the demo reminded me a little bit of Fire emblem awakening.

SeraphJan

Game play is awesome, but the Story so far is not as good as Tactics Ogre IMO, needs to finish the game to decide

If this comes to PlayStation I'll be there day 1, love me a good SRPG and it's been a long time since I've played one of quality 👌

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
So, my copy arrived yesterday and I picke dup where I left off in the demo.

Played about 5 more hours and impressions so far are really positive.

• I was pretty concerned about the amount of talky-talky going on between battles in the demo and felt it was a bit much, but now that I'm playing the full game and getting further in I'm starting to see how it all affects the way the story unfolds. Not only does it provide narrative, but how much you use the information you learn and the subtle choices you make when talking to people directly affect your options for the bigger choices that directly affect which branch of the storyline you'll be able to follow. That's actually really clever and makes it quite compelling - kind of like a make your choice novel sitting between battles.
  • The game is harder than I expected. I'm playing on normal and while I've made it through every battle so far I've found a few quite the challenge and had to concede to having a few characters fall in battle. Not something I normally accept (Fire Emblem player) but there isn't any perma-death in this game so it's acceptable but ego bruising nonetheless.
  • Battles can get really scrappy. Even regular rank and file enemies can't be taken down in one hit and the AI is generally smart enough to exploit your positioning errors while avoiding bait traps so turtling generally doesn't work that well.
  • Music is damn good.
  • Voice acting varies between decent and jarringly bad.

So, really enjoying it so far. Been a while since a game got it's hooks into me and had me itching to get back on for "just one more go" but this one seems to have it.

Last edited:

Porcile

I picked this up. Looking forward to getting stuck in. I'm a huge Final Fantasy Tactics fan. Although, obviously I'm not expecting it to be as good.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm nearing chapter 3, very early in the game still.

This game is going to be a huge cult classic. Just in the set up and early chapters, this might be one of the better stories I've seen in a video game in quite a long time. Plays fantastically in hand held mode. With all the visual novel chapters and extensive dialogue, it feels like curling up with a good book.

Even the first battle was surprisingly interesting. You can tell it's going to get much tougher when they start allowing you to do the "explore" sections and talk to NPCs in advance of a battle just so you can inspect the maps and try to identify choke points and strategically advantageous areas.

Initial impressions; this is better than I expected. I could see this being the best SRPG I've ever played if it stays at this quality level, but it's far too early to tell.

Last edited:

ranmafan

Make sure to post your frustration dissapointment impressions about the game later on
Super early impressions (darn elden ring getting in the way), love the look just like I did of Octopath Traveler. Much more challenging than I expected. I didn’t play the demo and expected the game to be like most srpgs to not give me a fight at first, but I was quite surprised that it was the opposite. Completely different from like say the cakewalk of super robot Taisen (which I love but is too easy.) soundtrack is superb. I haven’t tried out the cd set yet as I want to enjoy the music in game first but I can’t wait to.

Plan on playing more tonight. But so far a fantastic start.

Labadal

My copy won't arrive until tomorrow. Our local post office has become bad, but the sad part it's not their fault. The national postal service have made many shitty decisions that has lowered customer satisfaction greatly.

Ahem! Anyway, still wating for my copy.

My copy won't arrive until tomorrow. Our local post office has become bad, but the sad part it's not their fault. The national postal service have made many shitty decisions that has lowered customer satisfaction greatly.

Ahem! Anyway, still wating for my copy.

You mean by not delivering on the weekends? I take that as a positive. That's 2 days out of 7 that I don't get nothing but junk mail in my mailbox. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

kevm3

It's sad that this game doesn't seem to be gaining much traction. No wonder Square won't commit to an FFT sequel.

Labadal

You mean by not delivering on the weekends? I take that as a positive. That's 2 days out of 7 that I don't get nothing but junk mail in my mailbox. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Oh nah. They only deliver 3/5 work days now. My game shipped on Wednesday, but no dice. I do not expect anything important on weekends.

Edit: Tuesday, not Wednesday.

Last edited:

Metnut

About 3 hours in and like it so far. Could do with 33% less cut scenes but I appreciate what they are trying to do.

The gameplay looks to be more Vandal Hearts wise (less customization and more defined roles to characters) than FFT but I have a feeling it’ll allow for some pretty interesting battles as that game goes on.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
There's no doubt that its a very slow pace. But I'm surprisingly loving it so far. Half way through chapter 3. Story is at least interesting. Battles are challenging because the AI is decent too. All the character art is fantastic.

Fbh

A bit over 2 hours in an enjoying it so far. Just beat the "tournament" fight.
The tactical gameplay has been fun and I'm liking the challenge in hard mode, I usually go with normal in FE because hard + permadeath gets annoying, but since there's no permadeath here it's a good incentive to try the harder mode. Also really like how units aren't put into generic classes but instead each one is unique. The story is still in its early stages but so far it seems engaging enough and they've set up a bunch of interesting characters so I'm looking forward to where it will go.

But yeah the pacing is very slow, lots of cutscenes and I was surprised that even the side content (green marks) so far have all just been cutscenes (was expecting something more in line with fighting random bandits and stuff).
Also it was a bit weird that the tournament battle had a recommended lv of 3 when the game had literally just given me a single fight and so everyone in my team was lv2.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Also it was a bit weird that the tournament battle had a recommended lv of 3 when the game had literally just given me a single fight and so everyone in my team was lv2.
You later on get mock battles in Encampments, you can level up your unites that way.

Fbh

You later on get mock battles in Encampments, you can level up your unites that way.

Yeah I just got those.
Now it makes sense, it was just that second battle which was weird because as far as I can tell there was no way to have my units at LV3 at that point. Unless hard mode also gives you less xp? (Don't think so though)

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah I just got those.
Now it makes sense, it was just that second battle which was weird because as far as I can tell there was no way to have my units at LV3 at that point. Unless hard mode also gives you less xp? (Don't think so though)
Same thing happened to me. I'm right around there as well. I lost 1 person in the tourney battle. Going to level up a bit.

Setzer

Just received my special edition copy from the Square Enix store. Got a brand new oled switch this week too and this will be the game I start using it for. Special edition is so nice. Came with especially a 4cd soundtrack. Can’t wait to listen to that. This weekend is going to be awesome for gaming!
Where did you get this special edition that comes with the soundtrack? I checked Square Enix store and they don't show it and the only special edition I've seen comes with a steelbook case, some cards and dice.

Fbh

Same thing happened to me. I'm right around there as well. I lost 1 person in the tourney battle. Going to level up a bit.

Yup me too.

Horse guy died early (almost died in the first battle too). His bigger range of movement and attack is nice but people end up ganking up on him if you move him too far away from the rest of your units.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yup me too.

Horse guy died early (almost died in the first battle too). His bigger range of movement and attack is nice but people end up ganking up on him if you move him too far away from the rest of your units.
This game is not like Fire Emblem that you can just put your strongest character in frontline to take out the enemies.

Even your strongest character can get killed easily if they gets surrounded.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yup me too.

Exact same thing happened to me lol. And they were trolling with that flashing "weak to spear" note on the main enemy lol. I played right into their hands.

ranmafan

Where did you get this special edition that comes with the soundtrack? I checked Square Enix store and they don't show it and the only special edition I've seen comes with a steelbook case, some cards and dice.
I bought it from Square’s japan store. Not sure if they offered it any where else in the world.

Triangle Strategy square enix store japan special edition

Interestingly its gone up in price since I bought it. I guess preorders were cheaper.

Top Bottom