• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump budget to cut rail services to hundreds of rural communities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

Donald Trump’s proposed budget cuts could lead to 220 US cities across 23 states losing out on all of their passenger train services, according to a new study.

The analysis from the National Association of Rail Passengers (NARP) concluded that cuts to the infrastructure budget, would cut off Amtrak, transit, and commuter rail programs, and even air service to some rural towns.

As a result it estimated that 220 cities in 23 states will have no passenger rail transport as a result.

The cuts are part of a proposed 13 per cent, or $2.4bn (£1.9bn), reduction in the Department of Transportation budget.

Cuts of a further $2.3bn (£1.85bn) to the Federal Transit Administration’s capital investment programme that helps communities start commuter rail projects, have also been suggested.

Many of the communities that could be affected are in rural areas which voted for Mr Trump in the presidential election. The Us leader won nearly 70 per cent of the rural vote in 2016.

Mr Mathews said that the proposed elimination of Amtrak’s long distance trains was "cutting a vital service that connects these small town economies to the rest of the US."

He added: "These hard working, small town Americans don’t have airports or Uber to turn to; they depend on these trains."

Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao also put a halt a massive California project to improve their commuter rail system that would have created an estimate 9,600 jobs in the state.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...port-american-passengers-cities-a7672811.html

geomon

4a4.gif

DJ stays winning

This sick mother fucker. Amtrak is my only mode of transportation outside of my city to see my family or to get to an airport since my car can't make the trip. Trump needs to fuck off from society.

I mean, he's got to save money somewhere to fund his crazy ideas. May as well fleece the people that will vote for you regardless.

theWB27

This is another typical chess move by trump. Solving the obesity problem by making people walk to where they need to go.

This is the reality of what running the government like a business looks like. The government should provide services that don't always make business sense as long as they are beneficial to a huge number of people.

Bo-Locks

Well, shit.

Only yesterday I watched this video which says ease of access to transport has a stronger influence on one's economic prospects compared to crime levels in the community or 1 parent households.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Infrastructure anxiety.

We need to brand trains so they go along with it.

Welfare Locomotives
Urban Engines

Slayven

Many of the communities that could be affected are in rural areas which voted for Mr Trump in the presidential election.
Government fuckery is always going to hurt red states the most.

And they will still vote for the next Republican because the fact that a black guy gets something is enough for suicidal behaviour.

Aaron

And they will still vote for the next Republican because the fact that a black guy gets something is enough for suicidal behaviour.
You're giving them too much credit. They just do what fox news tells them to, reciting the same tired talking points like the parrots they are.

People really love seeing people suffer just because they voted differently. I didn't vote for trump but I'm sure as hell not laughing at those who voted for him and will face negative consequences because of it

Empathy just doesn't exist anymore

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
They can't implement their agenda like giving massive tax cuts unless they repeal ACA, privatize SS and other things. So they are trying to squeeze money from here. It is really sad to watch.

People really love seeing people suffer just because they voted differently. I didn't vote for trump but I'm sure as hell not laughing at those who voted for him and will face negative consequences because of it

These people voted to fuck themselves over because an abusive rich white dude told them he would stick it to brown people like me for their benefit. Obviously their eventual plight is not a good thing but it's hard to empathize with people that prioritized hate and division over the needs of the many.

kirblar

People don't learn unless they feel pain. (See: liberal voting patterns where it takes a Bush/Trump to motivate people off their asses.)

They had trains under Obama. They won't under Trump. Maybe they'll put two and two together.

These people voted to fuck themselves over because an abusive rich white dude told them he would stick it to brown people like me for their benefit. Obviously their eventual plight is not a good thing but it's hard to empathize with people that prioritized hate and division over the needs of the many.

They voted for trump for a multitude of reasons which has been covered to death, it's not just "racist people hahaha, now suffer!!"

Politics is more complex than that

Literally going backwards in time.

Isn't that the GOP motto? We should stop calling them conservatives and start calling them by the proper term, regressives.
They voted for trump for a multitude of reasons which has been covered to death, it's not just "racist people hahaha, now suffer!!"

The coverage says one thing but our eyes an ears hear another. Part of what got us into this mess in the first place is people placing more importance on "feelings" over reality. The reality has been that Trump ran an aggressively racist campaign from literally day one. Having an ability to ignore his racist agenda and still vote for him isn't much better than being overtly racist in my opinion.

Yes, let's bring up the topic of empathy corncerning the group that consistently responded with "he's just telling like it is!" when the man they supported suggested giving the yellow star treatment to Muslims.

kirblar

No, it's primarily the racism: https://www.thenation.com/article/fear-of-diversity-made-people-more-likely-to-vote-trump/

Nothing else is strongly predicting Obama-Trump flips (and Romney->Not Trump flips the other direction), and it also predicts Trump voters in a way that it doesn't predict McCain or Romney voters.

Trump addressing this next week: " Those trains contribute big time with pollution, like you wouldn't believe, I will put our environment first above luxurious forms of transportation, people can walk, I walk all the time."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom