• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump threatens to abandon Puerto Rico relief efforts

KDR_11k

If cost is the reason to stop helping PR, can we use cost as the reason to withdraw Trump's secret service protection?

Violet_0

Banned
How much more can America take before there's calls for violence against those in charge who are complacent with this? Just how much more can we handle?
4-8 years? I mean, I don't see a nation-wide revolt happening
Do we know how Tesla is doing with their battery initiative for PR? I know Elon promised a lot more batteries and installers for PR.
they floated this idea of twitter a couple of days ago, I imagine it would take many years to completely reconstruct their power grid if they decided to go through with it and have everything arranged

He'll find a way to sink even lower than this and I expect nobody in the White Housr or Congress will do nothing about it.

My family, relatives, and I myself are just beyond sick of hearing about this dotard and his administration. His election into office and everything that has happened since has however knocked into power a big bright spotlight on just how much of a soiled city on a hill (half of) this country actually is, so there's that I guess.

How many electoral votes does Puerto Rico have? Zero.

How many fucks does Trump give about Puerto Rico? Exactly. Zero.

If it had been his way he'd never would've set foot in PR at all.

Tigress

He's blaming the people too, he's actively saying they got themselves in this situation. I can't see how he could be more evil.

Sadly I've already seen two people who have done this and agree. One a customer who outright said he didn't feel sorry for them cause they did it to themselves (him being a customer I couldn't say much except to not say anything at all). And my manager who justified it by saying they voted the politicians in who let it get that way. My manager is also a both sides person and apparently was ranting about the NFL players taking the knee (and no he wasn't on the right side of that arguement).

mnannola

He is threatening to abandon 3 million Americans because of budget issues? WTF? This clown needs to go. If he doesn't want to protect Americans from danger, that should be immediate grounds for removal.

Cyanity

Banned
Imagine if Trump said this about Texas.
"Wow Houston, you guys should have done something about your infrastructure before getting hit by a hurricane! We can't keep spending money on your relief efforts forever! Congress will decide what happens to Texas!!!"

Tovarisc

they floated this idea of twitter a couple of days ago, I imagine it would take many years to completely reconstruct their power grid if they decided to go through with it and have everything arranged

I don't mean Elon's theoretical initiative to have Tesla rebuild whole electricity infrastructure of Puerto Rico, but his actually on going initiative to send over Tesla Powerwalls and engineers to install them all over Puerto Rico. In order to speed up power recovery into the area and he also later stated that they would be sending more HW over than originally planned.

Tesla Powerwall: https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

Shadybiz

My first thought was, is he saying this while trying to hide that Healthcare EO we've heard about.

This narrative has got to go. He is not "distracting" from anything. He's not some kind of magician, using misdirection. ...He's a fucking idiot. He Tweets out his digital diarrhea on an almost daily basis. Fuck 4th dimensional chess...the man, I'm willing to bet, has never played a game of REGULAR chess in his life. There is no strategy here.

Charles M. Blow‏@CharlesMBlow 1 hour ago
Just so you can see them side-by-side, here is Trump on Texas vs PR. Wonder what the difference is. Hmmm…

DL8Q0NYXUAAuu9_.jpg
DL8Q0NaW0AI62_I.jpg

pulsemyne

What is the current military presence in PR? I'm really starting to wonder if he needs to pull the troops back to support potential action against North Korea.

A few thousand troops in PR would make no difference to any North Korea attack. The american Navy, Army and Airforce is ludicrously large. America is able to fight on multiple fronts.

Would it be out of the question for Puerto Rico to have a Catalan Referendum?

That would be the ultimate FU and it's been a long time coming. PR got screwed and continues to be screwed by companies and mainland politicians. At some point you've got to wonder if PR interests would be better aligned away from the USA.

Would it be out of the question for Puerto Rico to have a Catalan Referendum?

That would be the ultimate FU and it's been a long time coming. PR got screwed and continues to be screwed by companies and mainland politicians. At some point you've got to wonder if PR interests would be better aligned away from the USA.

The better "fuck you" would be for some of my PR brothers and sisters to migrate to Florida and turn the state perma-blue.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Other countries throughout history at least had the gumption to depose their kings when shit got this bad. I guess 323 million bodies isn't enough to defeat God King Trump's magical rule.

IbukiLordSA

Puerto Ricans are Americans.

At least someone clarifies something, did not know they are Americans, if that is the case then it shouldn't even be a question of pulling out, how do you pull out of your own country? I could understand if they were a separate country but since it's the same country it seems rather silly to even threaten to pull support.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
If I meet him I am going to smack fire out this dude I swear the secret service can shoot me fuck it

sphagnum

Banned
At least someone clarifies something, did not know they are Americans, if that is the case then it shouldn't even be a question of pulling out, how do you pull out of your own country? I could understand if they were a separate country but since it's the same country it seems rather silly to even threaten to pull support.

They're a territory rather than a state which means they can't vote in federal elections. Trump either a.) doesn't care about them because of that or b.) doesn't think they're "real Americans" or Americans at all (probably because they speak Spanish).

epmode

They're a territory rather than a states which means they can't vote in federal elections. Trump either a.) doesn't care about them because of that or b.) doesn't think they're "real Americans" or Americans at all (probably because they speak Spanish).

When someone from PR moves to the States, is there any kind of waiting period before they can vote in US elections?

Preach. I want him to go into the dark knowing what an utter failure he was. I don't actually want anyone dead ever. Life can be much worse. Especially for a man who thrives on success and lookin good.

Agreed. He needs to live a long life, constantly exposed to the fact EVERYONE hates him, and he is viewed as a loser by the entire species.

Not to mention, we don't want the poor would-be assassin to be killed by secret service. Enough suffering has happened at Trumps hands.

mcw

Is there any actual way out of this other than violence? No amount of anger is going to stop this administration from doing this sort of thing on a daily basis; they thrive on the attention.

smurfx

get some go again
is this part 1 of the plan and the next steps involve using imminent domain on the abandoned island and giving the land to creditors? or maybe trump wants really cheap land for another golf course?

What, exactly, is the $3-4 billion in taxes Puerto Ricans pay to the US Govt every year supposed to be for if federal disaster relief from the US is optional or has an expiry date?

It doesn't matter when screwing over minorities plays so well in Alabama and Pennsyltucky.
It matters if enough decide to move to FL and turn it blue again.

Remember, these are American citizens. So it’s a lot easier to get involved in the process.

However, the fact we have to even talk about that is disgusting. POTUS threatening to abandon a US territory and Us citizens. He is evil, racist, and incapable of being a decent human.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I don't understand how the Gov. needs that clarified. Its basically saying "your on your own". Trump probably still thinks Puerto Ricans are still foreigners.

Oh they know, this seems more like a bid to drag anyone else in agreement into the public light of shame. We all know Trump is a piece of shit, but lets see if anyone else has the courage to go on public record in agreement...

AlexBasch

It will always annoy me why he always include an exclamation in every tweet! It's almost as if he wants to be feared! Here, let me try!

No more help for Puerto Rico, there are white people who need that help the most!

MaulerX

When someone from PR moves to the States, is there any kind of waiting period before they can vote in US elections?

As American Citizens they are allowed to vote for President, just not while residing on the Island. They can move to the mainland US at will and vote. All it takes is a plane ticket. Ironically, the Island residents DO vote in primaries for candidates that are running for president.

joe2187

Banned
He's probably going to try and revoke PR's "Territory" Status and just cast it aside because of it's Debt.

At this point anything can happen, because the island is pretty much completely fucked at this point.

Without US assistance the island is dead.

Quealy

Neo Member
It will always annoy me why he always include an exclamation in every tweet! It's almost as if he wants to be feared! Here, let me try!

No more help for Puerto Rico, there are white people who need that help the most!

Puerto Rico is mostly white...but they speak Spanish so I guess they're considered Mexico-Lite by Trump

I like that the USA has no problem keeping the military in Afghanistan for years and years and spending an unreal amount of money doing so but fuck keeping the military and relief forces in their own country saving their own people.

Top Bottom