• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump told NATO leaders 2% defense spending isn't enough, should be 3%

Trump is a monumental cunt but there is actually a reason to spend more: the US will not help against Russia under Trump. NATO is compromised by a fifth column that is its biggest member.

azyless

This made me curious.
Has anyone here's done the math (because I don't even know where to start) what exactly 3% invested in German military could look like?
I have no idea how much that would buy, no idea about pricing and whatnot.
Well, you look up what they have now, you double it, and you'd still probably come short of 3%.

Xando

This made me curious.
Has anyone here's done the math (because I don't even know where to start) what exactly 3% invested in German military could look like?
3% is almost unachievable unless they start a nuclear program with ICBM capability.
For comparison 2% would but them over russia in budget so 3% would be like 1 1/2 russias.

3% is almost unachievable unless they start a nuclear program with ICBM capability.
For comparison 2% would but them over russia in budget so 3% would be like 1 1/2 russias.

The Bundeswehr has 180k active duty personnel. That's pretty close to the standing army that the Weimar republic was limited to under Versailles, at a time when its population was like 20 million less than it is today. Modern armies are more expensive to field but also far, far smaller than 20th century armies. Much smaller than Cold War armies too. You definitely wouldn't need to go into wmds to spend 3%, although that level would definitely be excessive for German security requirements in the current political climate. They could increase total active duty personnel to ~250,000, while maintaining them at a higher state of readiness. Increase the amount of time on the firing range, increase the flight time for pilots every year, increase munitions stockpiles, invest in purchasing more smart munitions, bring some aircraft and tanks out of storage to fill up the new formations and so on.

5KA3GUf.gif

I need to know the context of this hahahah

Xando

The Bundeswehr has 180k active duty personnel. That's pretty close to the standing army that the Weimar republic was limited to under Versailles, at a time when its population was like 20 million less than it is today. Modern armies are more expensive to field but also far, far smaller than 20th century armies. Much smaller than Cold War armies too. You definitely wouldn't need to go into wmds to spend 3%, although that level would definitely be excessive for German security requirements in the current political climate. They could increase total active duty personnel to ~250,000, while maintaining them at a higher state of readiness. Increase the amount of time on the firing range, increase the flight time for pilots every year, increase munitions stockpiles, invest in purchasing more smart munitions, bring some aircraft and tanks out of storage to fill up the new formations and so on.
This all sounds nice but it's not gonna get you to spend an additional 80billion per year.

Can you do it for a year or two due to new purchases? Sure. But you're not gonna spend an additional 80bn/year for the next 10 years by filling up your stockpile.

If Germany were to go to 3% it would need some money sinker like carriers or wmds.
That's why 3 and even a static 2% is nonsense.

It isn't a obligation, it hasn't ever been a obligation. And let's face it, only people who have no fucking idea what they are talking about think 2% makes any kind of sense. Btw, the US doesn't seem to stop wanting to be the world police. In fact, it seems they only spend more and more on it with each passing year.
It's also a pretty fucking shitty "police force" that manages to fuck up the world and deestabilize it than do much of anything to help.
This seems a bit disingenuous. All these countries agreed to 2% in the first place. Surely at least a few of them have some idea what's going on.

RPGCrazied

How about you use some of your billions Donald? Oh wait, we tax payers have to fund your golf vacations every weekend and protecting your family.

They shouldn't give you a cent more.

This all sounds nice but it's not gonna get you to spend an additional 80billion per year.

Can you do it for a year or two due to new purchases? Sure. But you're not gonna spend an additional 80bn/year for the next 10 years by filling up your stockpile.

Maintaining large stockpiles and then making use of them more readily in training is just part of what you do to maintain higher combat readiness. But the expansion of the armed forces is not difficult conceptually. If 180 -> 250k is too small, then perhaps 300k, or 320k over a period of 5 or 10 years. In the cold war the Bundeswehr was roughly this size without the influx of people from the East. It's totally wasteful for Germany's modern needs, but it's not conceptually difficult.

Veezy

que?
I'm so fucking embarrassed to be a citizen of the States. I'm so sorry Western, hell entire, world for our fucked up political system. Do whatever you can to put us in line, because shit.

Mivey

Ofcourse he does, France had to beg USA to take down Muammar Gaddafi. People in this thread thinking France is a powerhouse or doesnt need a better army lol
begging them for what? It was armed rebels that killed Gaddafi, aided by NATO air forces. France would have had the fighter planes to do this solely themselves, but of course wanted NATO to step in and make them look less like an aggressive ex-colonial power. It was about legitimacy.

Micael

This seems a bit disingenuous. All these countries agreed to 2% in the first place. Surely at least a few of them have some idea what's going on.

Yes they know it is a non binding goal to only be reached in 2024 which was close to 2 decades after it was agreed to and also roughly 2 years before the financial crisis, financial crisis kind of tend to put an hold of useless expenditures like huge unmatched military forces in a nuclear world.
They also know that even if they want to save face and reach that goal they can just fudge numbers to get there, Germany for example could just classify foreign aid as being a military expenditure, that would mean they spend roughly the 2% give or take.

Madness

I have long said France and Germany and Italy need to increase their defense budget, especially Germany, but Trump is seriously a moron. I honestly think he has been ordered by Putin to denigrate NATO and make it unfeasable for anyone. I mean for a lot of NATO countries, it would just be smarter to leave NATO than devote 3% GDP to military when you don't need to.

I only say Germany most because as the de facto leader of the EU, and without Britain in the EU, they need to take a larger role in protecting Western Europe themselves, having the ability to operate outside their borders, guarantee German economic interests and EU interests.

SkylineRKR

This guy is absolutely insane, or rather, he simply doesn't know in what kind of world he operates as of now.

Its best to put him out of his misery. Find a way to force him to step down. Set a trap or something, guy is stupid anyway.

Future

Will cut back on defense spending huh.

Where in the art of the deal does it say to make promises that everyone knows you can't keep.

Oh wait, it was in Section A of chapter 4: Lie Constantly. Carry on

begging them for what? It was armed rebels that killed Gaddafi, aided by NATO air forces. France would have had the fighter planes to do this solely themselves, but of course wanted NATO to step in and make them look less like an aggressive ex-colonial power. It was about legitimacy.

Not at all. Rebels even said how the air support became less reliable when the US stepped back. Also coalition strikes still relied heavily on US intelligence and coordination. Hell, British warships were running out of cruise missiles after the first few days.

UrbanRats

Trump had two versions of prepared remarks for the dinner, one that took a traditional tack and one prepared by the more NATO-skeptic advisors, Stephen Miller and Steve Bannon. “He dumped both of them and improvised,” one source briefed on the dinner told FP.
Honestly, if he didn't have the power to destroy people's lives, this would be pretty fucking hilarious.
The US should really consider having a "pretend president" role, for cases like this.

Optimist in me says this is an attempt to get nations to buy more American goods.

That's the only purpose of that nonsense.

Trump doesn't understand that good cooperation is a win-win situation for both sides but he operates with the mind set that the other side must get the short stick so he can show that he is the boss.

KDR_11k

I think a bigger issue for German military increases would be personnel, Germans don't like the military and aren't as willing to join as, say, Americans. But any govt that spends a lot of money on the military would get hammered at the polls because, again, Germans don't like the military.

This made me curious.

I know that when the military is under a time limit to spend money they tend to end up with bad acquisitions deals and overpay for gear because manufacturers know that the govt negotiators are under pressure to sign something.

Looking at the fact that the role of the German Navy within the NATO was to protect the access to the Baltic Sea, why not putting some aircraft carriers there? Makes no sense at all but would be great way to spend some money.

4Tran

Optimist in me says this is an attempt to get nations to buy more American goods.
Traditionally, the US wanted its NATO allies to spend more so that they would have more resources to draw upon when needed. The rhetoric Americans use is that "everyone needs to contribute more", but that's only because it sounds nice and nobody believes that to be the case. Trump seems to actually believe the rhetoric though.

Looking at the fact that the role of the German Navy within the NATO was to protect the access to the Baltic Sea, why not putting some aircraft carriers there? Makes no sense at all but would be great way to spend some money.
The Baltic Sea is a terrible place to operate carriers. It's enclosed waters where it'd be easy to locate any carriers and if you know where carriers are, they become very vulnerable. The Baltic is better secured with submarines and surface combatants. As far as I know, it's standing policy for even the US to not deploy carriers there.

The Baltic Sea is a terrible place to operate carriers. It's enclosed waters where it'd be easy to locate any carriers and if you know where carriers are, they become very vulnerable. The Baltic is better secured with submarines and surface combatants. As far as I know, it's standing policy for even the US to not deploy carriers there.

mhh... you know sarcasm and stuff.

What we need is a return of monitors and battleships!

Astral Dog

He's not done embarrassing both himself and the country whose citizens he represents so... 'fraid not.
I bet he has gophers move his balls for him on the golf course so he can pretend he's a far better golfer than he actually is, too.
Monty style

ianpm31

Let's make it 4% while we're at it.

It's literally just finding excuses to get out of NATO obligations and dismantling the pact completely in the process.

Same thing with republicans that they always say we need to cut taxes even further. How about we just cut it to zero percent and call it a day?

Valhelm

contribute something
This is a stopped-clock issue for Trump. Military self-determination in Europe (preferably through a federal military) would improve global stability by checking both Russia and the US.

A world not so forcefully dominated by American might is a more equal world, especially when America is led by a government as dangerous and irrational as who we've got right now.

Top Bottom