• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tsukihime: A Piece of Blue Glass Moon | Review Thread + OT |

W6KQpUJ.jpeg

Developer: Type Moon
Publisher: Aniplex
Release Date: 27 June, 2024
Platforms: PlayStation 4 | Nintendo Switch
Genre: Visual Novel
Standard Edition - $49.99 USD | €54,99 | £44.99
ESRB Limited Edition- $79.99 USD (Amazon, BestBuy, VGP)

Reviews:

Siliconera - 90
Tsukihime: A piece of blue glass moon is a great entry game for new Type-Moon fans and a fantastic remake for old ones. Though players can dive right in without A Witch on the Holy Night, I do recommend playing that one first if you haven’t! It helps to further your understanding of the story and world. The explanations and narration from Shiki’s point of view make it a really easy story to digest, as new fans of Nasu’s works might feel daunted by how complex the in-universe systems can be. The magic of Nasuverse is on full display in this beautiful remake, and it’s my new recommendation for those who want an action-packed visual novel.

But Why Tho? - 85
Tsukihime: A Piece of Blue Glass Moon features compelling storytelling, complex characters, and rich thematic depth. Despite minor flaws and oversights, the remake is a must-play for fans of dark fantasy and narrative-driven visual novels.

Noisy Pixel - 95
Tsukihime: A Piece of Blue Glass Moon is a stellar remake of Type-Moon's classic visual novel. This partial reimagining brings modern graphics and expanded storylines for Arcueid and Ciel, providing an engaging and immersive experience. With captivating characters, a well-woven narrative, and enhanced presentation, this visual novel is a must-play for fans and newcomers alike.

RPG Site - 90
Tsukihime -A piece of blue glass moon- is simply a fantastic visual novel to read from beginning to end. It is single-handedly the closest example of what a modern AAA visual novel would entail; the amount of care put into its production values is incredible in the realm of visual novels. The English localization does a magnificent job matching the tone, spirit, and meaning of its source material as every character’s personality shines through their dialogue brilliantly in English. A few blemishes in the clumsy nature of its flowchart navigation hold it back slightly, but I couldn’t be happier with how the official English release of the Tsukihime remake has beautifully turned out.

Final Weapon - 90
Type-Moon has crafted many of my favorite characters and stories ever, and Tsukihime -A piece of blue glass moon- is no exception. The themes and messages interwoven within the game are powerful. Powerful enough to make you sit back and think about how precious life really is. I’m going to be thinking about this story and these characters for a very long time, and I eagerly await another experience in this world with the release of Tsukihime -The other side of red garden-.

AnimeNewsNetwork - A
+ An elevated version of the near side routes of the original Tsukihime that masterfully combines the fresh and familiar. Perfect for returning fans, people new to Type-Moon, and curious Melty Blood players.
− Especially if you're a fan of the original Tsukihime, it's easy to feel the absence of the far side routes. Also, some of the new elements feel less necessary than others.

Deft Beck

I’m kinda annoyed with Aniplex right now, I bought Witch on the Holy Night on PSN only for them to port it to Steam later

now Tsukihime isn’t releasing on Steam (at least at launch) while Fate was announced for Steam but not PSN 😒
They probably want people to double dip.

• Fire
Reactions: Isa
So yeah I think I'm first getting the Limited Edition for Witch on the Holy Night from Amazon JP (it's cheaper than I expected there even with import fees) and then the Tsukihime Limited Edition from VGP or Amazon US. Or maybe I should get Tsukihime first since I have a feeling that ESRB Limited Edition will get out of stock pretty quickly and I'm not sure if Aniplex will reprint it and I don't want to pay scalper prices on Ebay. It would have been much simpler though if Aniplex would treat their EU customers better and release that Limited Edition here as well. :lollipop_pensive:

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
Decided to go with the Tsukihime LE for Switch from VGP since it was available at a very good price for an import (€90 including shipping). It should hopefully arrive in a week or so, and I'm also planning to get Witch on the Holy Night from Amazon JP shortly. Gonna play/read them back to back. :messenger_smirking:

Oh and there's this, too!

Paltheos

100% picking this up. I read Witch on the Holy Night earlier this year and was very impressed. type/moon really seemed to have stepped their game up since the Fate/stay night days. From what I've heard, Tsukihime Remake Part 1: A Tale of 2 Waifus isn't quite the visual spectacle Witch on the Holy Night is, but it's still very pretty.

I'm curious about overall writing fidelity. Witch on the Holy Night was written much more recently than the original Tsukihime. Nasu's filled it out clearly, but I wonder how much the vestiges of the original show. I also wonder how hungry I'll be for the far-side routes that will definitely be released before 2030.

Is the localization good or censored?

Your mom is censored.

The Great Granddaddy Of Them All, the VN that launched Type-Moon and started them on the path to success they have today

I read it already due to the fan translation that's been available for more than a year but I'm legit curious how the official translation reads compared to the fan translation because the quality of official translations in both FGO and Witch on the Holy Night are dubious at best

The fan translators couldn't help but fuck with established terminology because that's what fan translators do to be dicks and changed 'Root' to 'Source' and I'm sure at least the official translation won't do this

Power Pro

I can't decide sometimes if I like visual novels enough to get something like this or not. There might be a really good story in there that I'd like, but even some of the VNs I like, I do grow tired of it just being so straight forward. Like I loved the narrative in Steins Gate, but man it was still kinda rough to finish cuz of the amount of reading. I do find myself enjoying stuff like Danganronpa, or Nonary Games more because there are elements of gameplay in them, but this one looks like just a straight forward lots of text VN, so I can't decide if I should get it for my collection or not.

GHound

Gold Member
Glad to hear so far that Aniplex didn't mangle the translation. I'll buy it when it releases on PC or if Switch 2 has back compat. Fuck SIE.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Played it awhile back with the fan patch. I didn't enjoy it as much as the original... it got too... modern type-moon too quickly, especially ciels route.

The best description to how I feel that the game just jumps the shark in what it expects the players to let happen. Essentially the new stuff is shit, the remade parts are good... but I just feel the original version is more grounded...

It's like Comparing Fate/Stay to Fate/Grand Order, where you have swim suit versions of heros and magical girl idols, while Fate plays it strait, grand order is "oh ho ho so whacky" I feel like that's leaked in here.

Its not what I was expecting honestly and I'm a little sad about that.

Last edited:

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
Oh, if anyone wants to see just what was "censored" in the PS4 version artbook (Game itself is unchanged, don't worry):

SPOILER_GRDsjrrX0AAqoDY.jpg

Honestly, I don't think it's that bad. I sorta vibe with that look. Though I still find it hilarious the Switch version artbook is unchanged.

Last edited:
If these games launched between 19.99 to 39.99 they might take off.
This one and Witch on the Holy Night are the closest things we have to AAA visual novel in terms of production value, so I think the asking price is very fair.

There's also a very dedicated fan base for taipu muun stuff so it should sell well, and the upcoming Fate/Stay Night remastered should do even better.

Heck, I just spent €70 to import Witch on the Holy Night from Japan and also €90 for this Tsukihime Remake from North America (both are Limited Editions). :messenger_grinning_sweat:

night13x

Loved Witch on the Holy Night, Loved (translated) FSN, loved all the Nasuverse anime. First time reading Tsukihime remake and very much so looking to start later today...when I can pull myself away from Elden ring and SMV:V lol.

Top Bottom