• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turin Turambar's Top 75 Recommended Anime Series

Nice effort put into the list! It's be great if you could also include if a show is streamable on any service, and what service(s)! But that's a lot of extra research.

Not only it would be a lot of extra effort, the fact is that surely, lots of series that have more than 6-7 years are not available at any streaming services. People just didn't negotiate streaming rights in the year they were released. Streaming wasn't a thing then!

DVCY201

There's a lot of good shows there! I'd probably also toss in or replace some with Ranma 1/2, Psycho Pass, Welcome to the NHK, Lovely Complex, Toradora, and Darker Than Black

trejo

This reminds me, does anyone have saved the infamous animegaf 'List'? Did it ever exist in the first place or was always an abstract concept called 'The List', containing pure meaning??

You can find a copy of it here, though I'm not sure how up to date it is.

I advise caution when handling it. There's some truly dangerous stuff contained within.

Jotaka

Where is?
- Eve no Jikan
L7M8phm.jpg

- Black Lagoon
SUv1B1Pm.jpg

- Space Brothers
Arzx6Fs.jpg

John Blade

This top list of anime is going to be controversial as they will be anime which people here wish it have to be in here (you can't win really). Also, most of the anime on the list is recent or very recent show which mean older show might not be call unless you watch it when it aired or is a classic show people need to watch.

I guess this list should be divide under the Top 200 anime for each decade and make people here post what anime at that decade which people should watch and why.

petran79

Banned
Not only it would be a lot of extra effort, the fact is that surely, lots of series that have more than 6-7 years are not available at any streaming services. People just didn't negotiate streaming rights in the year they were released. Streaming wasn't a thing then!

I would have ordered more Anime DVDs if lack of space wasnt an issue.

Some interesting looking stuff I haven't seen.

However, putting FMA on the list instead of FMA: Brotherhood is a serious party foul, friend

Hyoukokun

That's a solid, well-reasoned list. There's a handful that I'd add, based on your apparent tastes:

The Twelve Kingdoms

ze42S4x.jpg

One of the progenitors of the Isekai (other-world) genre, following (at least initially) the story of a girl who is selected to be empress of a country in another world. She and her friends struggle to adapt to the politics and realities of a world with which they are ill-equipped to deal. The show has some truly wonderful characters, but I have to caution that it may feel somewhat incomplete - they ran out of novel material to adapt and had to put it on ice.

Hyouka

4GlvDEl.jpg

Kyoto Animation's masterpiece. A wonderfully-animated slice-of-life story following the members of a small literary club as they solve minor mysteries. The hook here lies in the evolution of the characters (particularly the protagonist, who is slowly drawn out of his shell over the course of the show).

Space Battleship Yamato 2199

ZinllbU.jpg

Straight-up old-school space opera fun, executed perfectly. You'll be singing along to the opening song before you know it.

Sora no Woto (Sound of the Sky)

WSXIffQ.jpg

Cute girls doing small-town things.

...while in the military, in what appears to be one of the last few remaining oases of non-apocalypse-ized land. Works far better than you'd think.

Honorable mentions:
  • NieA_7 (to round out your old-school ABe oeuvre)
  • A Lull in the Sea / Nagi no Asukara (emotionally manipulative magical realist romance, with an impressively complicated love polygon)
  • Gargantia (Sci-fi + slice of life + fuckery from the author behind Fate/Zero and Madoka)
  • Humanity Has Declined (post-singularity absurdism)
  • Non Non Biyori (total slice-of-life fluff, but very relaxing)
  • The Devil is a Part-Timer / Hataraku no Maou-sama (turns out Satan fits in well at McDonalds)
  • Tonari no Sekki-kun (brilliant comedy shorts about a boy who really won't pay attention in class)

Top Bottom