• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turns Out Billy Mitchell Actually Can Score Over One Million in Donkey Kong

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Billy Mitchell goes by many titles. One of them used to be the King of Kong, but ever since video game world record keeper Twin Galaxies stripped him of his records, many gamers have been calling him things like cheater, liar, and fraud. However, even without cheating he is still an extremely talented gamer.

A little backstory for anyone who’s never heard of the guy: Billy Mitchell stepped into the pixelated limelight in 1982 when he achieved a score of 886,900 in Donkey Kong, and he was hit by the spotlight again in 2010 when he broke one million points. But then a few gamers accused Mitchell of cheating. Now, I know what you’re probably thinking: this is real life, not the Adam Sandler movie Pixels. Unlike that film, you can’t input cheat codes into arcade cabinets. And you’re right; there’s no code for extra lives in Centipede, and you certainly can’t warp around the maze in Pac-Man. But that only applies to the physical cabinets. If you emulate the arcade game, you can cheat to your heart’s content. And that’s exactly what Mitchell was accused of doing: emulating Donkey Kong.

1 Million Point Game (Twitch)

https://twinfinite.net/2018/08/turn...ly-can-score-over-one-million-in-donkey-kong/

(For some reason Twitch videos will not embed with the 'Media' method.)

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
So he practiced. Cool.

I know enough about this scene to know that sometimes top-scorers (but usually just in local or regional competitions) will splice together "perfect runs" using emulation savestates.

So it's not their real score... but they did play all those pieces... but only in 15-second slices using savestates.

It's a useful tool for practice, that's the thing. I have nothing against those who do this for practicing runs and refining their skill, but I can also see the temptation to pass that level of theoretical performance off as your own.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I honestly never doubted it. He is a serious douche, which ironically makes him interesting, but I never believed he was a fraud.

dirthead

Banned
What I find so amusing about shit like this is that it really isn't that skillful. DK is an incredibly simple game and it really isn't that hard to memorize to do shit like this. It's really more a test of stamina and patience than anything else. People have "world records" in games like this not because they're some one in a million superstar, they have world records in games like this due to lack of interest/competition. Basically, there's no money in it, so people who are actually really talented don't even bother to play them.

There are literally tens of thousands of "professional gamer" types that could absolutely blow this dude out of the water in any game.

Don't get me started on professional gaming. It's so fucking stupid.

Last edited:
What I find so amusing about shit like this is that it really isn't that skillful. DK is an incredibly simple game and it really isn't that hard to memorize to do shit like this. It's really more a test of stamina and patience than anything else. People have "world records" in games like this not because they're some one in a million superstar, they have world records in games like this due to lack of interest/competition. Basically, there's no money in it, so people who are actually really talented don't even bother to play them.

There are literally tens of thousands of "professional gamer" types that could absolutely blow this dude out of the water in any game.

You just reduced a pretty awesome achievement from someone to basically nothing.

Well, you tried to and failed.

I never doubted he could play those games at a high level, the fact is he lied about playing on MAME. He's a liar, he has lied about a lot of things throughout his "career", manipulates people on the regular, and hangs out with a gaggle of fellow lying manipulators. That whole "old guard" of Twin Galaxies are a bunch of fraudulent losers. The only one I ever saw as genuine and trustworthy was Robert Mruczek and apparently he is going to do an interview with Tipster soon so I'm looking forward to that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Am75XIDvsc

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I never doubted he could play those games at a high level, the fact is he lied about playing on MAME. He's a liar, he has lied about a lot of things throughout his "career", manipulates people on the regular, and hangs out with a gaggle of fellow lying manipulators. That whole "old guard" of Twin Galaxies are a bunch of fraudulent losers. The only one I ever saw as genuine and trustworthy was Robert Mruczek and apparently he is going to do an interview with Tipster soon so I'm looking forward to that.

I notice he has a video on the recent millie.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

That's a dumb take. By this logic, winning the Boston Marathon also takes no skill.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
That's a dumb take. By this logic, winning the Boston Marathon also takes no skill.

Actually, that's not the logic at all. To win a competitive marathon, on some level, you've got to have pretty uncommon genes and actually be special. What I'm saying is that you don't have to be special to do this with DK. There pre-reqs are pretty common.

Actually, that's not the logic at all. To win a competitive marathon, on some level, you've got to have pretty uncommon genes and actually be special. What I'm saying is that you don't have to be special to do this with DK. There pre-reqs are pretty common.

So instead of appreciating dedication and perseverance we should appreciate genes.

Got it.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

ngqts.jpg

Nosgotham

So if someone wins when they have a genetic advantage, that's special? Your logic fails you. Just because you are not impressed, does not make a feat unimpressive.

TacosNSalsa

Aw snap, which video game character would make the best hot sauce?

I am leaning towards Kratos.

Being West Indian myself i'd have to go with Dee Jay from street fighter . We make some wicked hot sauce ..we usually call it pepper sauce but whatever same thing!

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Where's the logic in coming into a thread about something you don't like or have no interest in? Hmmm?

OT: Billy is an odd one, but interesting nonetheless.

ZehDon

Gold Member

I'd like to take a moment to nominate this for the least intelligent post of the year. Now, I know what you're thinking: we've seen some really dumb stuff posted on Gaf this past year. And that's true. But, when you break it down, this post is dramatically uninformed and poorly thought out on just about every level of human interaction and understanding. I'm feeling pretty confident that when 2019 rolls around, this bad boy right here will hold it's own and emerge as the dumbest piece of crap vomited onto the board in 2018. You've got my vote, dirthead, best of luck in December!

dirthead

Banned
I'd like to take a moment to nominate this for the least intelligent post of the year. Now, I know what you're thinking: we've seen some really dumb stuff posted on Gaf this past year. And that's true. But, when you break it down, this post is dramatically uninformed and poorly thought out on just about every level of human interaction and understanding. I'm feeling pretty confident that when 2019 rolls around, this bad boy right here will hold it's own and emerge as the dumbest piece of crap vomited onto the board in 2018. You've got my vote, dirthead, best of luck in December!

Well that's a nice weaselly attempt at a personal attack, but, unfortunately for you, my post is 100% accurate. You honestly think that pretty much any fighting game community or RTS pro gamer couldn't absolutely smoke this guy? If there was actually money in playing DK, you wouldn't have even heard of Billy Mitchell.

Mathrin

Well that's a nice weaselly attempt at a personal attack, but, unfortunately for you, my post is 100% accurate. You honestly think that pretty much any fighting game community or RTS pro gamer couldn't absolutely smoke this guy? If there was actually money in playing DK, you wouldn't have even heard of Billy Mitchell.

You're really doubling down on this, aren't you?

Mathrin

Given I've not defended it previously, I'm not doubling down on anything but it's a nice try.

If you're good at something, get paid for it.

Lanrutcon

You're really doubling down on defending professional gaming, one of the dumbest activities our civilization has created, aren't you?

You need to grow the fuck up. You're on a gaming forum. If the thought of someone dedicating himself to excelling at the hobby gets you salty, then maybe you need to find a new one instead of shitting up the thread with your whining.

What I'm saying is that you don't have to be special to do this with DK.

When we'll be seeing your DK 1,000,000 score video: never. Because it's easier to be that bitter asshole sitting in the stands, right?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
You're really doubling down on defending professional gaming, one of the dumbest activities our civilization has created, aren't you?
Who’s a professional gamer? Billy mitchell? I’m no fan of his here nor there, but he makes his money through other avenues. Who are you angry at?

subsmoke

So wait a minute, it doesn't sound like anyone actually caught him cheating. They assumed he was cheating because he played on an emulator and stripped him of his records and even later on when he surpassed a million points on a genuine arcade cabinet they didn't relent. That's pretty messed up.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
The record breaking play though he submitted as proof of beating the record was done on an emulator. This does not mean he cheated in any other way, simply that he used an emulated version instead of a dedicated arcade machine and that's against the rules in the category he was competing in. That's the basis for his titles being stripped.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Being West Indian myself i'd have to go with Dee Jay from street fighter . We make some wicked hot sauce ..we usually call it pepper sauce but whatever same thing!

Not bad, I can see that, and Caribbean jerk/curry are some of my most favorite.

Dhalsim and Sagat might whip something up too.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
What I find so amusing about shit like this is that it really isn't that skillful. DK is an incredibly simple game and it really isn't that hard to memorize to do shit like this.

Please post up your stream of a million points, since it isn't difficult. Or even provide any citation for your claims about the army of people who can do this.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I don’t need to attack you dirthead, I can just quote your post anytime someone accuses you of intelligent thought.

Let me put it this way: if anyone could do what retro high score holders could do, why don’t they? Because it requires a very different set of skills to Starcraft. Perfect game on Pac-Man? Yeah, it’s not rocket science to say it’s not the same as 4:40 all in with Protoss. If you don’t understand that, it’s ok, because you don’t have to. You just need to know that they’re all better at what they do than you are at shit posting on NeoGaf.

nowhat

Let me put it this way: if anyone could do what retro high score holders could do, why don’t they? Because it requires a very different set of skills to Starcraft. Perfect game on Pac-Man? Yeah, it’s not rocket science to say it’s not the same as 4:40 all in with Protoss. If you don’t understand that, it’s ok, because you don’t have to. You just need to know that they’re all better at what they do than you are at shit posting on NeoGaf.
Billy Mitchell was prominently featured in "King of Kong", which is a wonderful documentary about getting the high score in Donkey Kong. In that documentary, Mitchell does seem like a bit of a dick. Or not a bit really - not just the tip, the whole shaft too, balls included. Basically, having seen that documentary, I was seriously in "Billy Mitchell is about the largest asshole in the world"-camp.

But there's another documentary about getting a high score in another classic arcade game ("Nibbler"), called "Man vs Snake". That's highly recommended as well. Compared to DK, there's no "kill screen". It's basically a game of endurance, mind-numbing at that. But in that documentary, the protagonist calls Mitchell to help him with his high score attempt. And he's actually quite supportive of the main character, he seems like a truly good guy.

Now, I'm not commenting on how using emulators or not to achieve a high score is acceptable or not. As a matter of fact, I think getting the highest score in a classic arcade game is akin to having the most achievements/trophies, as in "dude, you have way too much free time on your hands". Not something I'd do. But I think two things are undeniable: one, it takes patience and skill*) to do those records, and two, Mitchell may not be the villain some want him to be. Despite the unfortunate haircut and hot sauces.

*) if no skill is required, why aren't the pro fighting/RTS community crowd dominating the classic arcade charts, if it is so easy?

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
This thread took a weird ass turn. Good for Billy, though. I really didn't know if I should believe he could get 1M. He looked like he did it so effortlessly here and even purposely got less than he could to make it an even million.

Top Bottom