• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. Congress allows $15 minimum wage in D.C. but unwilling to raise federal.

i paid $8 for a slice of pizza in D.C. once

makes sense

Sounds like you went to the wrong place. I was just there this weekend and it was much less for some pizza. And damn good!

I also spent $36 for brunch for a massive steak burrito, unlimited chips/salsa/guac, a shot of tequila, and unlimited drinks including mimosas, bloody marys, and margaritas. I've seen much worse in areas with a much less cost of living.

Holy shit at the tipped workers minimum wage.... no wonder we always have lively tipping threads. It's disgraceful that people could get paid $3.33 an hour with a higher wage based on the whim of customers.
Meanwhile, in Maine recently...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...inimum-wage-restaurant-workers-didnt-want-it/

As the Maine House voted on a bill to reduce the minimum wage for tipped restaurant workers, Jason Buckwalter and a dozen fellow servers huddled in a back room listening to the vote call at the Bangor steakhouse where they work.

They all hoped to hear one thing: that state legislators had voted to lower their wages. Some cried with relief, Buckwalter said, when the final vote ended at 110 to 37 — overwhelmingly in their favor.​

Somnid

I'm all for minimum wage as a stop gap but let's be clear: It was a fantastically stupid idea to tie healthcare to employment, it is an equally stupid idea to tie other unavoidable life expenses to employment. Minimum wage isn't going to help the most vulnerable who may not have jobs.

kirblar

Holy shit at the tipped workers minimum wage.... no wonder we always have lively tipping threads. It's disgraceful that people could get paid $3.33 an hour with a higher wage based on the whim of customers.
It completely warps hiring patterns as it rewards the front of house far more than the people actually making the food (you know, the ones who actually need to have time-invested skils.)

It should be at least closing in on $12/hr nationally at this point but that's not going to happen either.

Tipping being relied on for wages is something that should've been dead ages ago.

FLEABttn

Banned
I would still like to see some kind of federal standard implemented, though I don't have the answer to the best way to calculate it.

Davis Bacon Act does that already. Expand the scope of it or use it as pro forma for a new law if you want to calculate and set wages at a county level.

Zoe

No it isn't. That is barely 30k a year. Minimum salary needed to live a decent life in usa is 35k. No way anyone can save or buy a house on 15 an hour.

You are in the minority if you honestly believe a person should be able to buy a house on minimum wage.

kirblar

You are in the minority if you honestly believe a person should be able to buy a house on minimum wage.
Our obsession with homeownership as a gold standard has left a whole lot of people chained to decaying houses in dying towns!

$20 an hour could not be enough in some places in the us, while $9 could be more than enough in some places. I don't think a $15 an hour minimum wage makes sense. I think it should be determined by each district living costs. Now, they should definitely regulate how wages should increase to account for inflation and general increasing costs of living.

TarNaru33

Banned
$20 an hour could not be enough in some places in the us, while $9 could be more than enough in some places. I don't think a $15 an hour minimum wage makes sense. I think it should be determined by each district living costs. Now, they should definitely regulate how wages should increase to account for inflation and general increasing costs of living.

In very, very few places would you find $9 to be enough and in even fewer would you find it to be "more than enough". Not sure who you know that can live off that and take care of themselves, they would need government assistance.

kirblar

In very, very few places would you find $9 to be enough and in even fewer would you find it to be "more than enough". Not sure who you know that can live off that and take care of themselves, they would need government assistance.
And that is fine, we should be providing government assistance to low/no-income people!

Minimum wage is the floor. $9 isn't enough anywhere. $12 is not enough in San Francisco, but you gotta protect the floor at least because many places just won't make necessary adjustments.

Xe4

Banned
Yeah.... no.

$15 is reasonable for a place like DC with higher cost of living. I would for sure support a $12 national minimum wage.

Yeah. Where I live (bumfuck middle of goddamn nowhere), you can get a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom quite large house for $800/month. I don't need a $15 minimum wage, but $7.50 is too low currently. Even $10 would make a huge difference to those trying to make by.

Though I support a $12 nationwide minimum wage with increases to match inflation.

TarNaru33

Banned
And that is fine, we should be providing government assistance to low/no-income people!

No, it is not fine when you are putting it that low because the people in charge of the local government do not want to raise it and even pass laws to restrict locals from raising it.

This idealistic approach is nothing but a fallacy, realistically it is unlikely to work out right except in the most blue of states and even then raising it isn't easy. You also need to realize that they are trying to cut government assistance whenever and wherever they can. It makes no sense to put it that low, $12 at the lowest, $15 is ideal. Some places will have a hard time adapting (primarily rural), but they are in a likely irreversible decline anyway.

Top Bottom