• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft and Activision will be the winners of the holiday season

Source: Forbes

Banc of America Securities said the videogame industry won't see the "concentrated intensity" of last year, but this holiday season will see "a number of important battles."

The research firm has already named Activision "a clear winner" in three categories: the Grand Theft Auto wannabes, comic book tie-ins and military first-person shooters. Those three areas will see "intense battles" this season, Banc of America said. Ubisoft is also viewed as a "winner" with the titles King Kong and Ghost Recon III.

Atari and Vivendi Universal unit VU Games will likely be "losers," Banc of America said, while Electronic Arts "still faces some risk despite lowered third-quarter guidance." THQ faces risk "primarily due to non-movie-supported children's games and Take-Two Interactive Software "is in no-mans land."

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Solid said:
activision? man thats so sad. i can agree that ubisoft got a great lineup, but activison? ugh...

ultimate spiderman
xmen legends 2
doom 3 expansion (xbox)
quake 4
tony hawk
call of duty 2
gun
the movies
true crime 2

not that bad of a lineup

Borys

Banned
Wario64 said:
ultimate spiderman - probably will rock like all other SM games
xmen legends 2 - ??? never played XL1
doom 3 expansion (xbox) - already rocks on the PC so it'll rock on Xbox
quake 4 - WILL. ROCK.
tony hawk - Underground 2 rocked why AW shouldn't?
call of duty 2 - will fucking rock as hard as COD1 did
gun - ???
the movies - will rock like Sims or Sim City did
true crime 2 - Bah. Will disappoint.

Not that bad of a lineup!

Vandiger

I think they are mostly talking about 3rd party developers unless Nintendo of America has a very weak PR department. I mean its the hardcore fans that seem to do NOA's job right?

Ponn

Banned
Wario64 said:
ultimate spiderman - Buying
xmen legends 2 - Buying
doom 3 expansion (xbox)
quake 4
tony hawk - *snicker*
call of duty 2
gun - Buying
the movies - Buying
true crime 2

not that bad of a lineup

Pretty good lineup. Everyone should buy Xmen legends 2 to support them making good comic book games and maybe just maybe they will make an Avengers Legends game or Justice League Legends game..

FoneBone

Ponn01 said:
Pretty good lineup. Everyone should buy Xmen legends 2 to support them making good comic book games and maybe just maybe they will make an Avengers Legends game or Justice League Legends game..
Activision doesn't have the rights to any of the DC characters. But they announced a week or two ago that they had secured the rights to (I think) all the Marvel characters for offline RPGs... so, yeah, Marvel Legends is pretty much a certainty.

OmniGamer

The only purchase either of them is getting from me this year is Activision's X-Men Legends II(well, maybe...depends if Jean returns, otherwise i'll wait till the price drops).

Wario64 said:
ultimate spiderman
xmen legends 2
doom 3 expansion (xbox)
quake 4
tony hawk
call of duty 2
gun
the movies
true crime 2

not that bad of a lineup
true crime 2 - only interesting game on the list (because it's in NY)

newsguy

1123102697.jpg

I wouldn't bet against Activision.

ram

u_neek said:
Well, none of Activision's titles get me excited but they are "big" nonetheless..

GUN!!! i cant wait to play it and certainly i will buy it for sure. the game looks awesome.

Kewk

Banned
haha so much hate... and love in this thread. Glad to see that some of you can admit good titles even though they do not appeal to you. This xmas is going to be huge that is for sure.

Starfire

Square Enix, Atlus and Nintendo will be getting most of my money come holiday time, CoD 2 is a must-buy for me however, so +1 for Activision.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
meelk said:
Kong is going to bomb. Another movie to game that no one will give a rats ass about.

you're stupid

the latest king kong media shows that it's gonna be an awesome game, and it will do well since it's being based on a movie (by Peter Jackson no less)

crap like Fantastic Four sold well, so why not King Kong?

meelk

Banned
Wario64 said:
you're stupid

the latest king kong media shows that it's gonna be an awesome game, and it will do well since it's being based on a movie (by Peter Jackson no less)

crap like Fantastic Four sold well, so why not King Kong?

FF lend themselves to being in games simply by way of being comic book heroes. The public is going to ignore King Kong games, I promise you. And your avg Walmart shopper has no fucking clue who Peter Jackson is, btw.

people didnt buy goldeneye because it was a movie-game game or even because it was james bond, they bought it because it was a great game.

King Kong will do fine

Zeo

Banned
meelk said:
FF lend themselves to being in games simply by way of being comic book heroes. The public is going to ignore King Kong games, I promise you. And your avg Walmart shopper has no fucking clue who Peter Jackson is, btw.

Wow, does it take practice to have so little of a clue?

TONS of people knows who Peter Jackson is, and not just us internet nerds. LotR are some of the biggest movies ever. His name has become almost as well known as Cameron, Spielberg, or Lucas. You'd have to be out of your mind to think the average person doesn't know who he is.

King Kong will sell, simple as that.

meelk

Banned
Zeo said:
Wow, does it take practice to have so little of a clue?

TONS of people knows who Peter Jackson is, and not just us internet nerds. LotR are some of the biggest movies ever. His name has become almost as well known as Cameron, Spielberg, or Lucas. You'd have to be out of your mind to think the average person doesn't know who he is.

King Kong will sell, simple as that.

when it bombs, remember you owe me an apology.

Top Bottom