• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft let me actually speak with its new AI-powered video game NPCs - The Verge

peish

AI is going to totally revolutionize mankind. Gaming is just a drop in the ocean deep that will be AI tech these coming decades.
Like all new tech era, this is both exciting and worrying as the possibilities seems endless and so potentially disruptives it makes you dizzy to think about it.
Medicine, biology, art, writing, cars, services, gaming of course and many more will be transformed and by extension our lives.

for instance :

It's just the beginning. So Ubisoft AI for NPC is interesting but just a small step toward a hurricane of changes.

looks fake af

hyperbertha

I feel like this will just make games tedious. This ai is very dumb, just autocorrect, not intelligent. There will be a lot of similar sounding responses, and instead of selecting a dialogue option now I have to open the mic and say a full sentence.

MikeM

Me to AI hot girls in games: Tits now.

*begins negotiations with AI hot girl to achieve tits now*

Kenan Thompson Lol GIF by Saturday Night Live

SaintALia

So, are people excited for this?

Because what I want from AI in games is:

AI enemies formulating strategies
AI enemies having personality types(cowardly, brave etc)
AI friendlies not constantly fucking up and having me babysit them
AI in general having good pathfinding and not walking into walls and can't figure out cover or walking around objects

(I've seen AI behaviour like the above before, but they aren't widespread)

And when it comes to AI interaction:
More branching speech paths that can impact gameplay and narrative(like the pawns in Dragons Dogma developing personalities and doing certain behaviours and talking to you in certain ways, which may go on to affect the storyline and gameplay).

The very last thing I'd want is to just be able to talk to AI. About the only time when that would make sense to me is for those Love Plus games, or maybe those TellTale narrative focused games maybe, but I don't play either. So maybe that's where it's at??

Top Bottom