• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 279: Diaz vs. Chimaev - T-Mobile Arena - September 10

Who wins: Diaz or Chimaev? Ferguson or Jingliang? Holland or Rodriguez?

• Diaz, Ferguson, Holland.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Diaz, Jingliang, Holland.

• Diaz, Ferguson, Rodriguez.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Diaz, Jingliang, Rodriguez.

• Chimaev, Ferguson, Holland.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Chimaev, Jingliang, Holland.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Chimaev, Ferguson, Rodriguez.

• Chimaev, Jingliang, Rodriguez.

• Diaz, Chimaev, Li.

• Diaz, Holland, Li.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Diaz, Chimaev, Rodriguez.

• Diaz, Holland, Rodriguez.

• Ferguson, Chimaev, Li.

• Ferguson, Holland, Li.

• Ferguson, Chimaev, Rodriguez.

• Ferguson, Holland, Rodriguez.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was never a fan of Khamzat before but Im glad that due to his recent cockyness and unapologetic attitude to missing the weight cut like that isnt 50% of what needs to be done to compete, I dont think ive seen the crowd turn so quickly against one guy lol. I mean I know Diaz has his army but there was nothing but boooooos fro him at the weigh-ins. Guy alienated everyone, fucked up his golden ticket and as getting bombarded with negativity. Really hope Holland who seems in a much better headspace, to get the win.

FireFly

Dana said Khamzat had a bad weight cut and the doctors stopped him from cutting further. I suspect the beef with Holland was manufactured in order to sell the fight. Others have commented that Khamzat only acts tough when the media is around.

Dana said Khamzat had a bad weight cut and the doctors stopped him from cutting further. I suspect the beef with Holland was manufactured in order to sell the fight. Others have commented that Khamzat only acts tough when the media is around.
Holland was fighting at catch weight 180lbs (for some reason) . This is a better fight then that & there were so many weight misses.

WWE tactics to sell those 75 dollar ppvs. The blood in the Diaz Tony fight will be real. Will cheer Goataev vs Holland the company man.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
What the fuck happened?

khamzat missed weight by like 8 pounds above 170 nate diaz had something in his contract where as long as he made weight he fulfilled the contract and doesn't have to fight the opponent if the opponent missed weight. nate's camp said he wasn't going to fight Khamzat and to save the card ufc came back with him fighting tony since tony made weight at 170/171. ufc then had to work out deals with the other guys holland said he would only fight if it was 5 rounds that fight got made and the leech had to agree fighting daniel rodriguez who weighed in 10 lbs heavier since he was supposed to fight Holland. props to the leech he probably got the raw end of the whole situation.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Diaz has a habit of bringing a chip on his shoulder I got him winning because of that.
Confetti Brush Your Shoulders Off GIF
Animated GIF

MaestroMike

Gold Member
voted rodriguez over leech since he had 10 lbs on him leech looking pretty good though. voted chimaev over holland because of his wrestling and he trained for 5 rounds this camp but he seemed pretty emotional this week might hurt him. not sure about diaz vs ferguson but I picked diaz ferguson fought like 3 months ago and was ko'd might be too soon for him to fight

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Li/Rodriguez fight was so close, I woulda called it a draw. Rodriguez did more headshots, Li did more body and leg shots. Neither fighter got hurt or was on the ground being pinned and controlled. It was a stand up fight that looked like could had gone 5 rounds no problem.

I'm surprised each judge called 29-28 for one of the fighters.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Li/Rodriguez fight was so close, I woulda called it a draw. Rodriguez did more headshots, Li did more body and leg shots. Neither fighter got hurt or was on the ground being pinned and controlled. It was a stand up fight that looked like could had gone 5 rounds no problem.

I'm surprised each judge called 29-28 for one of the fighters.

i think a lot of people were protesting saying the leech won tough week for the leech

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When Holland put his hand up at the beginning of the match, was he doing a courtesy gesture (expecting Khamzat to touch gloves) and Khamzat took advantage bull rushing him?

Maybe not. Not sure. It happened so fast.

Last edited:
What a great card. I was really hoping for a Ferguson win, I'm afraid of him getting cut, hopefully Dana is ok with Tony staying in the UFC and kinda being a gatekeeper, I always root for him.

Great performances all around from just about every fight. One of the better cards of the last few months for sure.

Tony is so washed, I'd really like him to retire so he doesn't tarnish his legacy further. he's done it all in this sport. I know he was interim champ but easily could have been the real champ in his prime. that 12-0 was stuff of legends. he got screwed by management for years as they kept him down in favor of Conor who also shared the same management.

Fuck it, let Tony fight Conor. Tony gets h
another big payday and Conor gets a tune up fight.

Apocryphon

Tony never recovered from the damage he took from Gaethje. He's looked old ever since. His career should have ended with the lose to Chandler. He's done and they should cut him for his own benefit. Feeding him to Conor would be horrid.

Khamzat needs Colby next in an eliminator.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Tony is so washed, I'd really like him to retire so he doesn't tarnish his legacy further. he's done it all in this sport. I know he was interim champ but easily could have been the real champ in his prime. that 12-0 was stuff of legends. he got screwed by management for years as they kept him down in favor of Conor who also shared the same management.

Fuck it, let Tony fight Conor. Tony gets h
another big payday and Conor gets a tune up fight.
He's lost 5 in a row after a hot streak of 27-3.

Tony never recovered from the damage he took from Gaethje. He's looked old ever since. His career should have ended with the lose to Chandler. He's done and they should cut him for his own benefit. Feeding him to Conor would be horrid.

Khamzat needs Colby next in an eliminator.

Tony keeps saying how he will continue no matter what but i think UFC now will have a strong look and cut him. You can wish to fight all you want but if all you do is lose, you are out.

Apocryphon

Tony keeps saying how he will continue no matter what but i think UFC now will have a strong look and cut him. You can wish to fight all you want but if all you do is lose, you are out.
Maybe they give him one last fight with a big payout, but he's been done for a while. He had nothing for Gaejthe save for that sole uppercut, and while his movement is still better than some fighters, his chin is gone. He looked old vs Oliveira at UFC 256 and got destroyed by Justin. The Chandler head kick was the final nail in his career I think.

If he does fight again it has to be Hooker or Chiesa depending on which division they decide on as both are coming off multiple losses. I can't see him fighting any other ranked fighters ever again.

mxbison

Main event was awful.

Imagine it were some unknown prelim fighters giving that performance and tell me it was a good fight....

They both have no business being anywhere near a main event, or maybe even the UFC at all.

Top Bottom