• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK; Bank Note Campaigner Threatened with Rape on Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spunodi

Quite. Bullying is repulsive behaviour, and I see absolutely no reason why the law shouldn't potentially be adjusted to better protect people from its online forms.

Technology is constantly changing and it's the duty of law makers to protect the people from new dangers that arise from those changes. You can't have static laws in a technological world, it's moronic.

I'd argue that there's far greater historical precedent for law changes being more useful to society than harmful. Of course there should always be caution in drafting new laws, but to go to the extreme of refusing change is crazy.

Perhaps, but what form would it take? And what about current legislation doesn't already have these protections against harassment and threats in law? As I understand it, the Communications Act 2003, Protection from Harassment Act 1997 and various racial / sexual harassment related legislation offers protections / recourse against such communications, whatever form they take. So yes, including Twitter. But my main apprehension about anything new is putting something technological in that could be abused; the ISPs and Government's recent rumblings regarding opt-in / default-on filters has stimulated some debate in this area and I don't believe the concerns there are completely unrelated to concerns here.

Couple of updates.

The 25yo man who was arrested has since been bailed and there was an escalation in threats last night with someone threatening a car bomb was outside the home of the a journalist who was also threatened with rape.

CQmBDc3.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...reats-against-female-journalists-8740892.html

Derwind

All this fuss over a picture on a banknote? Damn.

I don't know how I feel about people facing jail time because they are insufferable assholes. At the same time, a violent threat of this nature should never, ever be taken lightly.

The internet is getting more complicated as the days go by.

Oh and also, fuck twitter.

The prevalence of violent threats against female internet personalities is on a level that should cause anyone deep worry. I don't know at what point rape threats became a go to thing for people. It can't just be anonymity, how are there all these people out there that think in such a manner.

:(

Nicktendo86

I love what they suggested on the last leg last night, to use twitter you have to have your mum registered as well and when you tweet anyone can retweet it to your mum. See how many of these idiots carry on trolling then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom