• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK chart week 52: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold more in 2020 than it did in 2019

Bodomism

Banned

Screenshot-2020-12-29-08-15-11-74.png

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It makes me sad people still buy AssCreed games even more than FIFA. Or Minecraft.

Rockman33

Mario kart has obviously sold extremely well. Having said that it is a pack in game a lot of the time. Does this count towards sales?

yurinka

I always thought one of the main reasons of Nintendo's big games having impressive legs is the yearly low amount of big sellers on their platforms. People go to the store, doesn't see something appealing in the new releases so looks back and gets one of the few best games of the platform.
Which game? 🤔
This one:
Bored Nothing GIF

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Miles Morales out pacing Cyberpunk 2077 speaks volumes.
Not really. CP sold 13 million (globally) in its first week and this chart is just the sales for that one week, which isn't CP's launch week. I'm pretty sure looking at year to date would easily show that CP has outsold nearly everything already in 2020. All it really means is that people rushed to buy CP ASAP whereas SP:MM is more of a slow burner (I assume from people picking it up as PS5 stock is slowly dripped onto the market) but I doubt it's sold more.

It was the same for TLOU2; so many people were jacking themselves off over its lack of "legs" from weekly charts because it fell off in the US pretty fast, but it remains one of the best selling games year to date in the US:
TgbrJ0h.jpg

You know, if we're comparing how much money we each make in a year, and on the 2nd of January I win 20 million on the lottery yet earn no extra money the rest of the year whilst you make 2000 every month, on the monthly charts you're going to be ahead of me all the time outside of January. ...End of the year though, I still have 20 million and you've made 24,000.

And I'm saying this as someone who really would have preferred CP got its comeuppance and fail due to how shitty the game is technically. But let's be realistic, with 13 million week one sales, it could sell like 100 copies for the next 6 months and it would still be one of the best selling games of the year, even if the negative press has hurt it from future sales.

Last edited:
MK 8 is so good

Nintendo, nvm MK 9, make more DLC tracks for MK 8!

It's genius, like releasing Sephiroth at Christmas...think about it!
I'm genuinely shocked they've not done more DLC for it.

They keep churning it out for Smash, so you'd think with MK8D having 8 million more players, it would be a similarly evergreen source of revenue for relatively little overheads, but apparently not.

Bragr

Banned
Apart from Mario Kart having a cult-status at this point, I think Mario Kart 8 especially is eye-catching. It simply looks fantastic, and if you see people play it, you really wanna try it yourself. It's appealing and easy to sell.

tenor.gif

CI_NSwitch_MarioKart8Deluxe_InklinkRedShell.gif

f74d8694bedb5967c075aa5a8fbc1a62.gif

8e59547617dab3af-.gif

Bragr

Banned

They keep churning it out for Smash, so you'd think with MK8D having 8 million more players, it would be a similarly evergreen source of revenue for relatively little overheads, but apparently not.
Smash is run by Sakurai, he does thing his own way, that's why it's so DLC heavy, but since we have seen DLC for Breath of the Wild and Splatoon 2, and rather large DLC's with the upcoming Super Mario 3D World, it's puzzling that games like Super Mario Odyssey or Mario Kart 8 are utterly devoid of DLC. You would think it's complete non-brainers.

Smash is run by Sakurai, he does thing his own way, that's why it's so DLC heavy, but since we have seen DLC for Breath of the Wild and Splatoon 2, and rather large DLC's with the upcoming Super Mario 3D World, it's puzzling that games like Super Mario Odyssey or Mario Kart 8 are utterly devoid of DLC. You would think it's complete non-brainers.
Well it has 4 dlc cups, that were purchasable add-ons for the wiiU version and then bundled into the switch's "deluxe" version

I actually do think it would be 'odd' to add more dlc to the game from a certain perspective. It's a thoroughly complete game and the dev team should have moved on to MK9 or another project. But it would definitely make financial sense to keep supporting it, and I personally want it because I just don't see them doing a better Mario Kart than Mario Kart 8, they nailed everything about it...That's why I'd love to see it get new cups every year like how fighting games are kept alive by adding "seasons" full of dlc characters.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte

Yeah it's crazy to me too. So many millions of people to sell DLC to and to keep happy. I guess they moved the entire team to Mario Kart 9, but it's a missed opportunity for sure.

Hudo

Mario Kart is one of the best multiplayer games of all time and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is one of the best Mario Kart games. Not surprised about the long legs at all.

But I really want a new ARMS. I feel that they had something really solid with the first ARMS upon which they can improve.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Mario Kart is one of the best multiplayer games of all time and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is one of the best Mario Kart games. Not surprised about the long legs at all.

But I really want a new ARMS. I feel that they had something really solid with the first ARMS upon which they can improve.

To me Mario Kart 8 really lacks something that keeps you coming back, especially if you play online. But I guess it's mainly an offline multiplayer game.

MagnesG

Banned
Maybe they're working on the next 3D Mario and Mario Kart 9.

Hudo

To me Mario Kart 8 really lacks something that keeps you coming back, especially if you play online. But I guess it's mainly an offline multiplayer game.
Yeah, I was specifically talking about offline multiplayer, which is the only relevant multiplayer anyway (for me). I don't really do online multiplayer unless I'm playing FF14.

Scotty W

🤦‍♂️ god we are never getting mario kart 9 are we? Iv been playing this game since 2014 now. Come on to fuck nintendo, give us something new that hasnt been on wii u. A new fzero, new mario kart.....anything!!
Not until next generation. Selling at this pace, there’s no point in crowding the market. Besides, we just got a new Mario Kart.

Woman7

Banned
It’s one of the few games I can say totally deserves its success. It’s a near perfect game.
Right on. A top ten place for the greatest games of all time. Superb gameplay, perfect graphics, great tunes and sound quality. Control is so good, absolutely brilliant game.

Top Bottom