• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Monthly Charts November 2023: PS5 Accounted for practically half of the games consoles sold during November

jm89

Hardware Sales

Total Consoles Sold:

Year on Year
PS5 +126%
XBS +4%
NSW -19%

Month on Month
PS5 +149%
XBS +231%
NSW +175%

Over 4.55 million video games were sold during November in the UK, a drop of 3% over the same period in 2022.

This is according to GSD data, which tracks digital and physical video game sales.

The drop is due to a weaker release slate in November this year. Last year saw major launches including God of War Ragnarök on PlayStation platforms and Pokémon Scarlet and Violet for Nintendo Switch.

There was one major title that helped keep sales strong, and that was Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. Activision Blizzard's shooter was comfortably No.1 for the month. Last year's Call of Duty released in October, which meant that Call of Duty had a stronger November this year than the year before.

However, despite efforts from Activision to position Modern Warfare 3 as a full sequel to last year's game, fans were not so convinced and first three weeks of sales for Modern Warfare 3 are just under 38% lower compared with last year's Modern Warfare 2.

Another decent release last month was the arrival of Hogwarts Legacy on Nintendo Switch. Sales of the Warner Bros game jumped 100% month-on-month due to Switch release (plus a bit of Black Friday discounting).

EA Sports FC 23 sold slightly fewer in November compared with FIFA 23 last year, but it was close. EA's new football title saw some strong discounts during the Back Friday sales period.

It was another big month for game sales over the Black Friday week, with 1.66 million games sold in the UK, led by EA Sports FC 24. Compared with Black Friday last year, sales are very slightly up by 0.8%, which is impressive when you consider the general lack of new releases.

Elsewhere, Football Manager 2024 makes No.6, with sales down 4% compared with last year's title. The only other new game of note is RoboCop: Rogue City, which reached No.11 in the charts for November.

PS5 delivers big month for the console market

Moving over to GfK data, over 486,000 games consoles (panel data) was sold in the UK during November, a sharp rise of 176% month-on-month, and up 32% over November last year.

This was due to heavy discounting around Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo consoles over the Black Friday period. It was really the first Black Friday where PlayStation 5 was able to participate (the console was almost entirely sold out during this period in 2022, 2021 and 2020).

Sony's machine accounted for practically half of the games consoles sold during November. PS5 sales were up 149% month-on-month, and up 126% over last November.

In second place for the month was Xbox Series S and X, which saw a hefty 231% sales jump month-on-month, again due to Black Friday discounting. Compared with November 2022, Xbox sales are up 4%.

Nintendo Switch took third spot, with sales up 175% month-on-month but down 19% over the same period last year.

Year-to-date, console sales are up 12% over the year before, driven by improved sales for PS5.

Elsewhere, 1.275 million peripherals and accessories were sold in the UK across November (GfK panel data), which is a rise of 118% over October but down 3.5% over last November.

The new PlayStation Portal accessory for PS5 debuts at No.5. The product sold out at UK retail last month

Last edited:

yazenov

"Modern Warfare 3 are just under 38% lower compared with last year's Modern Warfare 2.“

But those engagement tweets were through the ROOF according to MS and Activision.

So their new playbook is to talk about gibrish engagement instead of sales when sales are down. 38% is a huge decline. Holy shit!

Guys have a look at this thread and have a good laugh at their expense.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/modern-warfare-iii-sets-new-engagement-records.1663759/

Last edited:

Mowcno

Big month for PS5 and now we truly know how much worse this year's CoD performed. 38% drop is pretty huge.

As for Xbox hardware... Well at least it's up but with the heavy discounts, Series S as low as £184 and the Series X £120 discount just 4% up YoY is a poor result. I said before they needed to be at least double figures with the heavy promotions they were having.

YoY
PS5 +126%
Xbox +4%
Switch -19%

Last edited:

TheBomb

Right! I guess to place ads anywhere to make the difference. That’s the engagement coming to light.
"Modern Warfare 3 are just under 38% lower compared with last year's Modern Warfare 2.“

But those engagement tweets were through the ROOF accounting to MS and Activision.

So their new playbook is to talk about gibrish engagement instead of sales when sales are down. 38% is a huge decline. Holy shit!

Zones

PS5 is #1 (+126% year-on-year)​

XBS is #2 (+4% year-on-year)​

NSW is #3 (-19% year-on-year)​

Therefore it’s time for the complementary…

VWPVe88.gif

Mowcno

Xbox Series X was on sale for £430 BF 2022. £360 this year, £70 cheaper but only sold 4% more. Released starfield and Forza in 2023 and nothing in 2022. Only sold 4% more.

I don't see how MS can possibly get this thing selling if £70 cheaper than last year barely moves the needle.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Lol using month on month, non holiday month vs holiday month to spin Xbox hardware numbers into something good :pie_grinning_sweat:

Xbox was almost flat compared to last year notwithstanding the promotions.
For the month it's basically:
PS5 240k
XBS 120k
Xbox Series X was on sale for £430 BF 2022. £360 this year, £70 cheaper but only sold 4% more. Released starfield and Forza in 2023 and nothing in 2022. Only sold 4% more.

I don't see how MS can possibly get this thing selling if £70 cheaper than last year barely moves the needle.
It's curious, Why you talk as if PS5 had not had promotions that were very much on par in price with XSX??..... In fact, PS5 has had better promotions than XSX all year also Nobember with Spiderman !!

Of course, it is not that XSX is the only one that has been sold with a price reduction compared to the BF of 2022.

Last edited:

Elios83

It's curious, you talk as if PS5 had not had promotions that were very much on par in price with XSX..... In fact, PS5 has had better promotions than XSX all year...
Of course, it is not that XSX is the only one that has been sold with a price reduction compared to the BF of 2022.

No I talk that one did promotions on old models and got a 126% growth, the other did promotions and they barely prevented a yoy decline.
I think it's useless to deny that these numbers are extremely disappointing for Xbox.

It's curious, Why you talk as if PS5 had not had promotions that were very much on par in price with XSX??..... In fact, PS5 has had better promotions than XSX all year also Nobember with Spiderman !!

I generally take you more seriously than say adamsapple adamsapple but this is absurd.

No one said PS5 wasn't discounted. The difference is that one is flat and the other isn't.

It's a weird thing man. Really good increase for Xbox Series. But this kinda sounds like game releases literally do nothing, people are just going to wait until the price drops to even consider getting an Xbox.
And yeah, I know PS5 had a discount before the Slim dropped, but even before that PS5 was at like 200% and 400% increases during some months just because people wanted to play The Last of Us (or that's what it seemed like anyway).

Last edited:

ulantan

It's a weird thing man. Really good increase for Xbox Series. But this kinda sounds like game releases literally do nothing, people are just going to wait until the price drops to even consider getting an Xbox.
And yeah, I know PS5 had a discount before the Slim dropped, but even before that PS5 was at like 200% and 400% increases during some months just because people wanted to play The Last of Us (or that's what it seemed like anyway).
It's because those games are in demand and sell well. as much as everyone around here hates spiderman and the last of us these games move consoles. Until xbox reach that bar or sony drops it Nothing will change.

That's because this generation is over. It wouldn't even be as close as it is (and it isn't close) had it not been for the pandemic.

Microsoft hasn't released a killer app in over a decade. Individual titles no longer mean anything. In fact if Microsoft does release a killer app, it'll just be glossed over at this point. Kind of like Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4 (before it got ported), Shenmue, Zelda Twilight Princess, and Breath of the Wild had it not released on Switch.

Darsxx82

No I talk that one did promotions on old models and got a 126% growth, the other did promotions and they barely prevented a yoy decline.
I think it's useless to deny that these numbers are extremely disappointing for Xbox.
Nobody is denying that these figures are not disappointing, it's just that the image you are trying to express to evaluate them is far from being the real one...

Then, I don't understand the comparison. That the cheaper/liquidation old model boosted sales?? Taking into account that the new model is a null update and that the In fact, if you look at the entire month of November, you have that Sony has had several weeks of liquidation of PS5 original model + launch of PS"slim" + Spidermam + BK offers on par with XSX. That is, that is a very different image than the one that XSX is flat despite the discount on the BF...

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I generally take you more seriously than say adamsapple adamsapple but this is absurd.

No one said PS5 wasn't discounted. The difference is that one is flat and the other isn't.
The difference is that PS5 during this entire November has not only had a similar discount as XSX during the BF, it had a clearance sale of the old model for weeks and the launch of Spiderman also.....

What I mean is that it's not the situation where the XSeries was selling £70+ cheaper than the PS5 all month and still didn't boost its sales. No, that is not the real image. Simply that PS5 is boosted in sales and XSX would need much more than just matching the price of its console to that of PS5 for a couple of weeks...

Elios83

Nobody is denying that these figures are not disappointing, it's just that the image you are trying to express to evaluate them is far from being the real one...

Then, I don't understand the comparison. The excuse that the cheaper old model boosted sales?? Taking into account that the new model is a null update and that the In fact, if you look at the entire month of November you have that Sony has had several weeks of liquidation of PS5 original model + launch of PS"slim" + Spidermam + BK offer on par with XSX. That is, that is a very different image than the one that XSX is flat despite the discount on the BF...

I don't think it's hard to understand.
I just meant that one is growing a lot compared to last year, the other could barely avoid a decline.
Both did their promotions to drive sales.
I've not suggested that Sony didn't do anything at all while Xbox has been selling at half the price, just that the impact of such promotions has been deeply different because one product is simply much more desired than the other.

Darsxx82

I don't think it's hard to understand.
I just meant that one is growing a lot compared to last year, the other could barely avoid a decline.
Both did their promotions to drive sales.
I've not suggested that Sony didn't do anything at all while Xbox has been selling at half the price, just that the impact of such promotions has been deeply different because one product is simply much more desired than the other.
Well, we are talking from the perspective that PS5 has been unleashed in sales all year where it has also had many better promotions during it. Of course I don't think anyone expect that XSeries would emerge in sales simply matching promotion prices with PS5 for a couple of weeks to change that dynamic...Without forgetting that the jump in % compared to Nov 2022 for PS5 is also closely linked to the shortage of Stock that it had in the previous BF.

That said, I repeat, I only highlighted that aspect described. Which is not a situation where for the entirety of November the XSeries has been selling £70+ cheaper than the PS5 without further ado. No, that's not the situation, more like one where PS5 has had weeks of old model liquidation price (while XSX sells for £489), Spiderman release and BF offers similar to XSX.

In that situation and in the sales context in which we are, of course the obvious has simply been demonstrated at this point that it is nothing more than that XSeries needs much more than simply matching its price to PS5 for a couple of weeks to boost its sales.

AALLx

Well, we are talking from the perspective that PS5 has been unleashed in sales all year where it has also had many better promotions during it. Of course I don't think anyone expect that XSeries would emerge in sales simply matching promotion prices with PS5 for a couple of weeks to change that dynamic...Without forgetting that the jump in % compared to Nov 2022 for PS5 is also closely linked to the shortage of Stock that it had in the previous BF.

That said, I repeat, I only highlighted that aspect described. Which is not a situation where for the entirety of November the XSeries has been selling £70+ cheaper than the PS5 without further ado. No, that's not the situation, more like one where PS5 has had weeks of old model liquidation price (while XSX sells for £489), Spiderman release and BF offers similar to XSX.

In that situation and in the sales context in which we are, of course the obvious has simply been demonstrated at this point that it is nothing more than that XSeries needs much more than simply matching its price to PS5 for a couple of weeks to boost its sales.

But XBox was completely flat during Black Friday Week itself so what are you talking about?

Woopah

PS5 continues to be very strong.

And that's better for Xbox, a bit of actual growth and in 2nd place.

Switch did a bit worse than I expected, but given its in its 7th year and didn't have Pokémon, being under 20% down isn't bad.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Big month for PS5 and now we truly know how much worse this year's CoD performed. 38% drop is pretty huge.

As for Xbox hardware... Well at least it's up but with the heavy discounts, Series S as low as £184 and the Series X £120 discount just 4% up YoY is a poor result. I said before they needed to be at least double figures with the heavy promotions they were having.

YoY
PS5 +126%
Xbox +4%
Switch -19%

UK November 2023:
486K consoles sold - PS5 almost 50%

PS5 +126% yoy
XBS +4% yoy
Switch -19% yoy

PS5 selling more than twice as much as last year, Xbox barely manages to sell the same despite the big discounts and Switch a slight drop, for the time it has been doing quite well.

Tbf, the article says ps5 was sold out last year for black Friday and this is the first year they could actually be involved in the black Friday month. So, xbox benefited from being in stock last year when ps5 wasn't.

All the numbers are being spun in some form.

They all did well.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Hence why award show accolades are irrelevant! This is a monstrous result for PlayStation and all I want to see from them now are the serious heavy hitters!

Xbox? I wouldn't say it did "well", but it wasn't a complete disaster. After the holidays is where I think it's going to get bad.

Switch is Switch. The little console/hybrid that could (did)! Remains a monster!

Last edited:

Darsxx82

But XBox was completely flat during Black Friday Week itself so what are you talking about?
??? First, it's clear to me that you didn't understand what I'm saying or what I mean. I invite you to review the beginning of the "discussion"... Second, XS being +4% compared to BF 2022 where it sold almost twice as much as PS5 due to the lack of stock of the latter (it was 40% XS, 40% Switch, 20% PS5). I mean, there's a context to PS5 up % as well.

PS: XSX is up 247% from the previous month on BF 2 week discounts alone. It's not that the sales discount haven't done anything simplily that, at the same price, is not enougth vs PS5.

Last edited:

Mowcno

Tbf, the article says ps5 was sold out last year for black Friday and this is the first year they could actually be involved in the black Friday month. So, xbox benefited from being in stock last year when ps5 wasn't.

All the numbers are being spun in some form.

They all did well.
Xbox Series X was discounted to £430 in the UK BF 2022. This year it was discounted to £360. Last year they had Pentiment, this year they had Starfield and Forza. When they have a better games lineup and such a drastic reduction in price and see basically no YoY growth I can't say they did well.

They knocked £70 off compared to last year and barely sold more.

Top Bottom