• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Monthly Charts November 2023: PS5 Accounted for practically half of the games consoles sold during November

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The XSX is being outsold by the PS5, why wouldn't a discless XSX also be outsold at the same rate? That actually sounds like a WORSE idea than the XSS because it means there is no price advantage. XSS has sold more than half of the XBS units. Losing that advantage would have been a quick end to the Series.

Because I don't think many people bought the XSS due to its price between 2020 and 2022. Maybe they are starting this year. Maybe.... But XSS sold the amount it has sold due to a lack of supply of the XSX version. Remember the XSX wasn't in stores for a while in 2021, so some resorted to buying the Series S instead.

That is true, but I think the Switch 2 with approx PS4 performance with a decent upscaler is going to attract a lot of 3rd party interest and more people will buy software for it.
I really think Nintendo are gonna take a bite out of that Sony/MS lunch. Sony appear to be prepared for that, but Microsoft aren't.

As time goes on, it will become more and more difficult to do cross gen games and compete with non-cross gen games. With the PS4 and X1 userbases abandoning it, you'd really only have the userbase of the Switch 2, which isn't guaranteed in the first place.

Just look at games like Cyberpunk which launched as a wreck on last gen and look at Hogwarts Legacy that need to have its own release on last gen.

If the Switch 2 is 350-400 dollars and powered like a PS4 and the PS5 Digital is 350-400 dollars at the same time, I think the Switch 2 is going to find it really difficult to compete in the same space.

Because I don't think many people bought the XSS due to its price between 2020 and 2022. Maybe they are starting this year. Maybe.... But XSS sold the amount it has sold due to a lack of supply of the XSX version. Remember the XSX wasn't in stores for a while in 2021, so some resorted to buying the Series S instead.

The XSX has been in stock more regularly this year than the previous years and had a lot of promotions even before BF, and with the already low price of the XSS, the YTD
numbers until October 2023 for the UK are:

PS5: 670k (Up 55% YoY)
Nintendo Switch: 333k (Down 15% YoY)
Xbox Series X/S: 313k (Down 24% YoY)

Backing up with data, it seems that the unavailability of PS5 consoles made Xbox Series consoles do better in previous years.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The XSX has been in stock more regularly this year than the previous years and had a lot of promotions even before BF, and with the already low price of the XSS, the YTD
numbers until October 2023 for the UK are:

PS5: 670k (Up 55% YoY)
Nintendo Switch: 333k (Down 15% YoY)
Xbox Series X/S: 313k (Down 24% YoY)

Backing up with data, it seems that the unavailability of PS5 consoles made Xbox Series consoles do better in previous years.

100% agree with you. I'm saying more Series Xs would have sold than Series S consoles. I'm only comparing those two consoles to each other. Not to the PS5.

100% agree with you. I'm saying more Series Xs would have sold than Series S consoles. I'm only comparing those two consoles to each other. Not to the PS5.
It's almost a given now.

More stock of XSX hasn't stopped the bleeding compared to the PS5 and, unless they take drastic measures like a permanent price drop of sub 400 quids or so, the gap will continue to widen more and more.

It's hard to see how Xbox build back from this at all this gen. They don't have software that'll move the needle or cut through next year and they've got the PS5pro and Switch 2 to contend with.

They'll likely get a boost in November with the inevitable COD bundle and the gamepass launch but outside of that it's looking rough.

Top Bottom