• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UN and NATO to Gaddafi: Operation Odyssey Dawn |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

R2D4

Banned
DrForester said:
Ejection seats are made to provide enough distance so that one could eject while on the ground. Remember that Canadian pilot that ejected last year at the last second. Don't really see why there isn't' a good chance he survived that (surviving once on the ground is another story. Assuming he's flying over Gadaffi territory).

I assume the design of the seat doesn't take into account going 500 mph straight down when they talk about being about to eject while on the ground. He probably hit the ground before the chute fully deployed.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
DrForester said:
Ejection seats are made to provide enough distance so that one could eject while on the ground. Remember that Canadian pilot that ejected last year at the last second. Don't really see why there isn't' a good chance he survived that (surviving once on the ground is another story. Assuming he's flying over Gadaffi territory).
no, the plane was shot due to friendly fire IIRC

SolKane

Philip Gourevitch (author of a great work on the Rwandan genocide) on Libya, from the New Yorker:

To Qaddafi, everything that is not murder is theatre, and having scared us into joining his war he is now calling our bluff, saying, in effect, that the West once again pretends to be acting in the name of humanitarianism when the real motive is regime change. It’s true that a full-scale humanitarian intervention would merely turn the crisis into the status quo and insure that it drags on forever. And it’s true, too, that now that we’ve made this our war we cannot pretend to be satisfied by simply containing or neutralizing Qaddafi. Are we prepared to accept that, by the grim logic of our intervention, the only way we can avoid being defeated in Libya is by defeating him? That could happen swiftly, or it could be a brutally drawn out, bitter, bloody slog, and come at a terrible price.

Either way, the military campaign is likely to be the easy part. Then what? We know that we are fighting against Qaddafi, but whom are we fighting for? It is impossible not to sympathize with victims of Qaddafi’s reign of terror who want to overthrow him. Still, do we have a good idea of who the Libyan rebels are and what they stand for? Jon Lee Anderson’s superb dispatches from the eastern front in recent weeks have made it clear that even the rebels themselves don’t know exactly. Some say the fight is for freedom; some say it’s for democracy. Meanwhile, an acting chief of the rebellion is a man who served, until a few weeks ago, as Qaddafi’s own Minister of Justice.

And speaking of democracy, what about American public opinion? What about Congress? Is the Security Council the only place where this should be deliberated? What about some attempt by our Commander-in-Chief to advise and seek the consent of the electorate before we march into battle overseas? What we know about these rebels is that we have a common enemy, and that they cannot fight for themselves. That is how our newest war begins. Nothing about it may ever be so clear again.

DrForester said:

Problem is more of the direction one ejects. On the ground the ejection would still shoot a person upwards to then have the chute open and bring a person down. If a plane is vertical and the pilot ejects it is more risky.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
TO OP TO CLEAR UP CONFUSION

Link to this Wiki.

General Wiki on Libyan No-Fly Zone Operation

Country Operations

Canada - Operation MOBILE

France - Opperation Harmattan

United Kingdom - Opperation Ellamy

United States Of America - Operation Odyssey Dawn

Current Military Commitments

# Belgium: Defense Minister, Pieter De Crem, stated that 6 F-16 fighter jets of the Belgian Air Component are participating. Furthermore the minehunter BNS Narcis is in the area to assist if necessary. According to Foreign Minister Steven Vanackere there is a large majority in parliament that would approve the operations.

# Canada Canadian Forces Air Command has deployed six CF-18 fighter jets and 140 military personnel to the region under the name Operation MOBILE. The Halifax-class frigate HMCS Charlottetown is participating in operations at sea.

# Denmark: On March 18th, Defense Minister Gitte Lillelund Bech announced that the Royal Danish Air Force will provide six F-16 fighters, a military transport aircraft and the corresponding ground crews. On March 19 the Danish parliament voted unanimously in the affirmative of sending fighter jets to enforce the no-fly zone.

# France: deployed Mirage and Rafale aircraft based at domestic French Air Force air bases at Istres and at Solenzara. Air to air tankers are based in Istres. The French Navy anti-air destroyer Forbin is near Libya. The aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle will be sent for air operations with its carrier strike group (one nuclear submarine and 4 or 5 supporting vessels) to the Libyan coast. During a press conference by the French defense minister on March 19th, it was reported that around 20 aircraft were engaged in operations over Libya on March 19th.

# Greece: The military of Greece will contribute 4 F-16 fighters, two frigates and an Embraer R-99 Airborne Early Warning & Control aircraft.

# Italy: Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini announced that Italian planes would participate in the U.N. backed mission. According to the Pentagon 11 vessels of the Italian Navy are participating in the first wave of attacks.

# Norway: Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg announced that the Royal Norwegian Air Force will send six F-16 fighters and one P-3 Orion maritime surveillance plane. He also stated that Norway will partake in the humanitarian aid to follow.

# Qatar: the Qatar Armed Forces will participate with four to six Mirage 2000-5EDA Fighters.

# Spain: Spanish Prime Minister José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero announced that the Spanish Armed Forces will participate with four F-18 fighters, one tanker aircraft, the F100 frigate "Méndez Núñez", the submarine Tramontana and one CN-235 MPA maritime surveillance plane.

# United Arab Emirates: A U.N. diplomat confirmed that the United Arab Emirates would participate. The participation will consist of a mix of 24 Mirage 2000-9 and F-16 fighters. Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan of the United Arab Emirates is a vocal supporter of the no-fly zone resolution.

# United Kingdom: On 18 March, UK Prime Minister David Cameron confirmed that Royal Air Force Typhoon and Tornado fighter aircraft will be committed to the operation, along with air-to-air refueling and surveillance aircaft. As of March 19th, the Royal Navy Trafalgar class submarine HMS Triumph, two frigates and RAF jet fighters are participating in operations.

# United States: The United States has deployed a naval forces of 11 ships, including the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise, the amphibious assault ship USS Kearsage, the Nuclear submarines USS Providence and USS Scranton and the Cruise missile submarine USS Florida.

Base Commitments
# France: Istres, Solenzara, Saint-Dizier – Robinson Air Base

# Greece: Souda, Aktion.

# Italy: Amendola, Aviano, Decimomannu, Gioia del Colle, Trapani, Pantelleria, Sigonella, Capodichino (Naples)

# Spain: Rota, Morón, Torrejón

# United Kingdom: RAF Akrotiri, RAF Marham

mokeyjoe

DrForester said:

I think it was reported the pilot died.

Mihku

Eteric Rice said:
Thread should be called NATO to Gaddafi: GET OUT. |OT|

Once again, it's a UN resolution. NATO and UN are not the same.

UN = organisation of every recognized state.
NATO = military alliance that consists of the US, Canada and most of Europe.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Mihku said:

Bigger problem with tile is Operation Odyssey Dawn. That's only the US's part in the No-Fly zone operation.

Mihku said:

But it's not a UN lead military offensive that's going on right now. It's not quite clear if it's a NATO one either iirc.

DrForester said:
Bigger problem with tile is Operation Odyssey Dawn. That's only the US's part in the No-Fly zone operation.
That's what I've been saying. The "NATO" part of the thread title might not be true, and the "Operation" part of the title only tells half the story.

Not that I really blame the OP, since this is very recent and developing news, so it isn't quite clear either way.

DrForester said:
it was reported that they brought the dead body of the pilot to a hospital. there is also a video of it and i wasn't able to see any parachute opening.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Kinyou said:
Abstentions:
Russia (PM)
China (PM)
Germany
Brazil
India
Why so much hate on Germany, Russia isn't in either :/
Diplomatic reasonings. Germany are the last country to want to get caught up in a military operation at the moment since the recent Defence Minister Guttenberg had to resign a few weeks ago, and I imagine Russia want to be as neutral as possible to this situation (that really shouldn't involve any foreign power). China, Brazil and India are pretty much status quo as well since they are emerging political powers with their own various reasons for not attending.

Souldriver said:
But it's not a UN lead military offensive that's going on right now. It's not quite clear if it's a NATO one either iirc.

That's what I've been saying. The "NATO" part of the thread title might not be true, and the "Operation" part of the title only tells half the story.

Not that I really blame the OP, since this is very recent and developing news, so it isn't quite clear either way.
it is an UN approved intervention executed by UN members.

DrForester said:
This is true. I'm afraid I've become victim to sensationalism. Every news agency reported it as Operation Odyssey Dawn (including The Guardian, which is UK-based), so I assumed that's the default name of the operation.

Libya now saying they've downed "multiple" jets. BBC saying it's credible because we haven't heard from commanders for a couple of hours... which sounds a little paranoid to me, but who knows.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Thread title should be....

Libyan Revolution Thread - Now With UN No-Fly Zone |OT|

Until ground forces are sent in, it's still on the rebels to do the real hard work.

and replace silly caption pictures with...

_51754648_libya_airstrikes_624_2.jpg

g-110319-cvr-libya-16x9.grid-10x2.jpg

110319-launch-vlg-3p.grid-7x2.jpg

Souldriver said:
I wanna know more of this.
Gadaffi has huge influence in this organization. Remember, he fancies himself the prince or "king of kings" of Africa for a reason, he's forged relations with the sub-saharan dictators.

theignoramus said:
Gadaffi has huge influence in this organization. Remember, he fancies himself the prince or king of Africa for a reason, he's forged relations with the sub-saharan dictators.
But I thought the African Union was urging the UN to impose the no-fly zone...?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
RustyNails said:
Abstentions:

Germany
Brazil
Russia (PM)
India
China (PM)

So BRIC + Germany.

I'm guessing they are seeing more to this than has been let known., or they are afraid of the impact on their economy.

Roude Leiw said:
no the Arab league is.
Whoops.

Guess I'm gonna read up on the Arab League, because for some reason I just heard "African Union" in my head every time the League was mentioned the past week. Stupid...

Souldriver said:
A thread title change would be welcome, but the OP is trying his best to update and correct all he can, so don't be too harsh.
Yeah sorry, my first OT and all. At least, it's a good exercise when I finally get to create my first gaming OT (Microsoft Flight, I'm looking at you)

goomba

Banned
DrForester said:

Until ground forces are sent in, it's still on the rebels to do the real hard work.

_51754648_libya_airstrikes_624_2.jpg

g-110319-cvr-libya-16x9.grid-10x2.jpg

110319-launch-vlg-3p.grid-7x2.jpg

Indeed. Make it so...

could it be that the coalition planned to start tonight but the french needed to send their aircrafts in earlier to prevent the gaddafi forces to enter bengasi?

DrForester said:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/51754000/jpg/_51754648_libya_airstrikes_624_2.jpg[img]

[img]http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/g-110319-cvr-libya-16x9.grid-10x2.jpg[img]
[img]http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/110319-launch-vlg-3p.grid-7x2.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Ok I'll add those, but can you resize the middle image (big green one) so that it's consistent with rest of the images? I'm trying not to stretch the OP.

Good, as long the U.S. doesn't decide to land troops in Libya I'm okay with this. The moment we do is the same moment I organize a picket line. I won't stand around and do nothing this time while we get dragged into another war.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Roude Leiw said:
could it be that the coalition planned to start tonight but the french needed to send their aircrafts in earlier to prevent the gaddafi forces to enter bengasi?

Reports I read said the early French missions were just for reconnaissance and info gathering.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Roude Leiw said:

It is more likely that Sarkozy just wanted to play Little Bush, a wet dream of his. The guy has the biggest ego of the G-7.

Omiee

man imagine being that Qaddafi right now. Generals or what ever coming in and telling you that the us is firing tomahawk missiles at your country and France England and other rul your skies.

mokeyjoe

Libyan state TV is claiming civilian casualties as result of bombing.

0149: Libyan TV has also shown footage of patients in hospitals who it says were injured during the recent attacks. Libyan Prime Minister al-Baghdadi Ali al-Mahmoudi was shown making bedside visits in the company of a military officer, BBC Monitoring reports. Injured patients voiced their support for Col Gaddafi and the revolution. The footage then went on to show several bodies lying on hospital gurneys with tourniquets covering some of their hands and faces, while draped with white sheets.

0141: Libyan state television reports that air and missiles strikes by Western powers early on Sunday targeted several places in the capital, Tripoli.

Thank you mods for the slight title alteration. Also thank you for keeping Operation Odyssey Dawn in there. I bet the name alone gave Mu'ammar a slight heart attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom