• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4, oh dear!

First time playing this and I can safely say it's the most overrated game of all time. I loved the other Uncharted games and they all share similar issues but I expected better from the last installment. Maybe because I'm playing this after TLOU2 but it's an absolute chore to play through.

Enemy AI in the game ranges from good to terrible but mostly terrible. It's the friendly AI where this game really comes up short(this in particular is where it is a generation behind TLOU2). I can't tell you how many times my friends in the game have caused my death. They get in your way, obstruct your line of sight, even stop you taking cover!

Then the mundane and boring platforming, stupid white paint indicating where I need to go! Come on I know where to go for crying out loud! The grapple hook is a nice addition but is limited to predetermined areas, let us use it on any surface ND!

Anyway it looks good still and as always a good story with great acting. Possibly this is what got it such high scores, it certainly wasn't the gameplay

Kupfer

I thought like this as well and stopped playing. A year later I decided to finish it because maybe it's the last Uncharted we'll see. My aim with the second try was to collect all the collectables, so that was my main focus, somehow it was more fun that way and I completed it in a week. I don't regret it, because it has matured in my head over time and now I look back on it positively. I remember more beautiful locations than boring gameplay.

Last edited:

RPSleon

It had some good new stuff. The hook, the driving was fun. But the core of it all was just more uncharted, and not the best of it.

Worst parts of that game are finding a block to push so you can climb a high wall. And as you say, we have a grappling hook, why not let us use that instead of an outdated mechanic.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Hitting this off the back of the Uncharted collection did it no favours for me. On par with the first game, only with a level of self-seriousness that just doesn't work. Multiplayer was good dumb fun though.

Mojoraisin

Agree with you. I almost fell asleep playing it and I’ve enjoyed the franchise previously. The “prologue” is nice with some back story but far too long.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's a boring shitty paced piece of crap with great graphics and good shooting/setpieces, i interrupted the game 3 times and finished it in a span of 6 months, some sections are fucking horrible and his brother is an annoying cunt.

This is one of the few examples when sony cinematic games is a valid insult.

Uncharted 2 bury this crap every day of the week.

Another proof that metacritic and goty awards are a joke.

Last edited:

sephiroth7x

It shifted the tone too much for me. I have always enjoyed the Uncharted games because they were a bit of fun wrapped up in an Indiana Jones movie universe. When they started being super serious, I could see where the influence from Last of Us development had seeped in and the shift towards a 'mature' story. Ruined it for me. Its why I much prefer Lost Legacy.

From a gameplay perspective though I wasn't expecting it to change much.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
First time playing this and I can safely say it's the most overrated game of all time. I loved the other Uncharted games and they all share similar issues but I expected better from the last installment. Maybe because I'm playing this after TLOU2 but it's an absolute chore to play through.

Enemy AI in the game ranges from good to terrible but mostly terrible. It's the friendly AI where this game really comes up short(this in particular is where it is a generation behind TLOU2). I can't tell you how many times my friends in the game have caused my death. They get in your way, obstruct your line of sight, even stop you taking cover!

Then the mundane and boring platforming, stupid white paint indicating where I need to go! Come on I know where to go for crying out loud! The grapple hook is a nice addition but is limited to predetermined areas, let us use it on any surface ND!

Anyway it looks good still and as always a good story with great acting. Possibly this is what got it such high scores, it certainly wasn't the gameplay

I never finished it, it looked great but was a chore to play for me personally. I would rate it a 6 or a 7 out of 10

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
It’s not a bad game, not great either, it really missed a lot of notes for me.

The general tone of the game, it was like Naughty Dog started enjoying the smell of their own farts.

Sam, don’t get me started. Really poor and contrived writing to retcon this guy in. Never mentioned in the previous 4 games, this is Nate’s brother? Give me a break. Immersion completely shattered.

On a true 10 scale it’s a solid 7, but I suspect no reviewer wanted to be the guy who’s honest about a ND game coming of the back of The Last of Us (which was a masterpiece). They would have been slammed as a contrarian.

I’ve platted every Uncharted except for Golden Abyss (couldn’t be arsed with the collectibles).

Last edited:

SSfox

I loved the game, i think it's even the best Uncharted in some aspect, but it's the only Uncharted that i really couldn't/didn't want to go back on replaying it, mostly because of its very slow start.

But it was really a great awesome experience, and ND did justice to the beloved characters (something i can't say about another ND game)

It was also one of the game where i abused the share button. And the multiplayer was quite fun too.

Topher

Gold Member
Wasn't my favorite Uncharted game, but It was still good. Most overrated of all time?

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Last edited:

NahaNago

Well this further kills my interest to play this game. I already felt like the last 2 games were walking simulators.

Kupfer

Uncharted 2 bury this crap every day of the week.
Not at all. U2 was my long time favourite, but I tried replaying it last year on PS4 and can't finish the game, because once I entered Shambala, I just had enough and stopped. It was good for it's time, but today? Naah thx.
The best Uncharted for me is The Lost Legacy.
Great locations, nice little story, cool open worldish map and everything is at a faster pace. I had way more fun with TLL than with U4 and a second run on U2.
Even Golden Abyss, which often is forgotten, is great, because it's a pocket version of everything I liked in the Ps3 era Uncharted games and it looks gorgeous for a handheld game.

Last edited:
Not at all. U2 was my long time favourite, but I tried replaying it last year on PS4 and can't finish the game, because once I entered Shambala, I just had enough and stopped. It was good for it's time, but today? Naah thx.
Great locations, nice little story, cool open worldish map and everything is at a faster pace. I had way more fun with TLL than with U4 and a second run on U2.
Even Golden Abyss, which often is forgotten, is great, because it's a pocket version of everything I liked in the Ps3 era Uncharted games and it looks gorgeous for a handheld game.
Now I have this as well, but Uncharted 4 has put me off playing. Would you say it's worth it even if I didn't like U4 that much?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's exactly the same thing as the first few games. Hold a direction and mash the climb button, watch a cutscene, get into a gunfight, scripted sequence, repeat. I like the Uncharted games but come on, they're all the same thing, some are just slightly better than others.

GymWolf

Lost legacy? I stopped that one when you are in the big map searching for 4 artifacts to open a fucking door, and people have the courage to say that the pace is like uncharted 2, lmao.
Maybe going forward it become better but i'm kinda burned out with unchy formula.

Of course the gameplay of u2 is old and shitty now, but if you put the shooting system and graphics of unchy 4 in unchy2 the game would be 100x times better.

I onestly prefer even unchy1 to unchy4.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Well its got a very high metacritic rating, that's why I said that. Obviously it's far from being an awful game but for the reviews it's the most overrated IMO.

Nothing wrong with you having the opinion that it isn't worthy of its metacritic score. But you slap "of all time" on just about anything and it is just pure hyperbole.

Episode 7 Matty Matheson GIF by Matty & Benny Eat Out America

Roufianos

ND need to drop the dull, pretentious platforming / open door searching / walking simulator sections from their games.

U4 and TLOU II are two of the most deliberately boring games I've ever played.

Varteras

Gold Member
I can think of plenty of games more overhyped or overrated than Uncharted 4. But I will say that I'm not a big fan of the franchise. It just never did much for me. Chloe is the best thing to come out of it for me.

Shmunter

I don’t know, I’d replay it in a heartbeat if a 60fps unlock dropped. I like the slow burn in distant lands.

Kupfer

Now I have this as well, but Uncharted 4 has put me off playing. Would you say it's worth it even if I didn't like U4 that much?
All I can say I liked it better. Felt like I have more control over the progress and less walk&talk as far as I remember.

GHG

I don't think it's a "bad" game but by the time it came around I was just tired of the formula and quite frankly it bored me.

The first 2 games were the best in the series by a mile all things considered (also taking into account the era in which they came out). The less said about 3 the better. Stupid, stupid game.

The series needs to be put to rest or rebooted.

Last edited:

Ellery

Amazing game. A much more mature Uncharted experience with all the charm, but none of the horrible AI from previous entries that have aged absolutely terrible.

While I love the old uncharted games and I also bought and replayed the Uncharted Collection on PS4 I think (and I am grateful for) Naughty Dog stepping it up massively ever since 2013.

It was time for the franchise to grow up alongside the gamers that played the game when they came out. It was a well needed change and Naughty Dog masterfully managed to do justice by the franchise with Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy.

Hoping to get some PS5 love so I can replay Uncharted 4 again.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The ship graveyard on crushing was a nightmare. I enjoyed it otherwise.

The complaints about Uncharted series = too much bang bang

Uncharted 4 has less shooting = all this walking/exploring and no shooting is terrible.

🤷‍♂️

By far best and most beautiful Uncharted game. Enjoyed every second of it. Great locations, great story, tough challenge on highest difficulty, great villain and final boss fight and perfect ending. When I think of perfect adventure game, this is what comes to mind. When you visit those islands on a boat and see all that beauty, encounter 🐬, it just makes you feel so good. Oh, and mp is very good, shame no one ever cares about it but that’s a different story.

Easily 10/10 game.

TonyK

I love the game but good you have your five minutes of attention creating this thread five years after game release.

regawdless

Banned
Funny thing, the actual movement and gun play are pretty great. In mp at 60fps, it feels so good and fluid. But it wasn't that much fun in sp for me.
SP had a lot of issues but high production quality. 6/10 for me. The MP was the highlight of the game.

Best shooting in the series, best encounter and story in the series, worst pacing in the series, 4 is odd but i can safely say after 3 playthroughs and having just downloaded it on PS5 to try it out and getting sucked in again that's it's a flawed masterpiece, of course my thoughts were not as glowing during my 1st playthrough, 2 is still the king overall and 3 still has some of my favorite locals and encounters,

Overall: 2>4>3>1.

Principal

Yo, people hate Druckman for Last of us pt 2 but this is where I lost respect for the dude, the way they changed it to be super serious, love drama and also make the feeling of adventure seem less important. Why guilt rid us for wanting to play a fucking game? What the hell is that?

ALSO: Why the hell did they remove the dodge button just to implement it into Last of Us 2? LIKE WTF? Melee combat sucks ass in U4 :(

Fbh

It's a Druckmann era Uncharted.
So nice visuals and good core combat brought down by horrible pacing, too much focus on story and dull gameplay outside of combat.

Play the Lost Legacy, it's smaller in scope but ultimately way better as a game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I loved it. It has way more gameplay than previous entries even but I can see why some people dont like it

Nico_D

Highly entertaining game with boring/old mechanics and mediocre gaming parts - though there are some good gaming parts there too. Set pieces are amazing.

Tomb Raiders are better games. Uncharted better feel good entertainment.

Top Bottom