• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines Kicks Passenger Off Plane Because of Marvel Black Panther Hat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yayate

...maybe just sack up and dress like an actual adult.

This is actually hilarious.

Any chance this was less racism related and more anti-LGBT related? I mean they gave her shit about her shirt, then her hat .. everyone knows who Black Panther is, and shirts with American flags regardless of orientation usually don't matter. My guess is the airline was being dickheads, but not about race or whatever.

Anyway United Airlines is added to the boycott list.

I'm pretty sure it's not about that. A lot more people know about the political Black Panther than they know about the Marvel character. I'm sure someone felt threatened by what they saw as a political statement and that escalated to getting them kicked off the plane. It seems like old-fashioned racism to me.

DigtialT

The shirt was inside out, so that doesn't matter anymore.

The only thing we got is that the cap had the black panther on it. Pilot was probably some old racist who hated the black panthers back during the 1960s.

daviyoung

Banned
Of course an e-sports journalist is edgy as all fuck and wears clothes befitting a 13 year old, wouldn't have it any other way. Pilot probably just misses the days everyone had to wear a suit when flying a plane, and the only women on board were the dollies handing out whisky.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I don't know what's more confusing, why this happened or some of the responses this is getting.

And the people getting upset about the hat are even more out of their minds.

AntChum

What's your point?
We live in a world where people are still uneasy seeing swastikas, the new big bad is terrorism and that shirt would fall into supporting that category.
I know I'm late to the party, but this is a dumb post. In no way, shape or form could this shirt be considered condoning terrorism. If an upside down flag offends you, I suggest the issue is with you.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I still don't see how a shirts design (that wasn't even visable) is at all relevant to how a pilot would feel while flying.

It's up to the person/pilot as to how serious they take it. I just posted the meaning for it as some claimed I was wrong.

neshcom

Banned
It's up to the person/pilot as to how serious they take it. I just posted the meaning for it as some claimed I was wrong.

You said it meant the person who flew the flag that way was intending to create distress. What you just posted was that it only indicates distress.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
You said it meant the person who flew the flag that way was intending to create distress. What you just posted was that it only indicates distress.

Indicates distress towards things, whether they create or support the distress is irrelevant.

vikki

Did the pilot really feel uncomfortable flying? Really? Reeeeeally?

This shirt?

asap-worldwide-flag-shirt-pacsun-2015-billboard-510.jpg

Saw someone wearing this shirt at the grocery today.

Wild Card

Of course an e-sports journalist is edgy as all fuck and wears clothes befitting a 13 year old, wouldn't have it any other way. Pilot probably just misses the days everyone had to wear a suit when flying a plane, and the only women on board were the dollies handing out whisky.

Sounds more like your just using the pilot to voice your own opinions, in which case what the fuck are you on about?

The fuckery on display in this thread - from trying very desperately not to acknowledge the Black Panther hat and the implications that come with the reaction to it to this nonsense about upside down flags generating terrorism or whatever. I see this is going to be one of those days.

Wolfe

The definition I provided above answers this, it is about distress of life and property.

Passengers = Life
Plane = Property

How are you not understanding that the meaning you're taking from that sentence you posted from wiki does not mean what you think it means?

You've had multiple people tell you in this thread right here and now yet you've not responded to any of it.

Edit:
Indicates distress towards things, whether they create or support the distress is irrelevant.

Ok now you're just altering the definition to fit your narrative, got it.

marrec

Banned
You clearly have no idea what an upside down flag means.

It means distress and could be taken to mean the person who does it or wears it intends to do ill harm to that country (cause distress) aka a terrorist.

An upside down cross of hurting beliefs has nothing on that.

I love when joke posts are subtle like this.

neshcom

Banned

But "indicate" is not the same or inclusive of "create" or "support," but you've used all three to describe the shirt. The check engine light on your car doesn't go on because it made your car malfunction.

And again, the shirt was turned inside.

Any chance this was less racism related and more anti-LGBT related? I mean they gave her shit about her shirt, then her hat .. everyone knows who Black Panther is, and shirts with American flags regardless of orientation usually don't matter. My guess is the airline was being dickheads, but not about race or whatever.

Anyway United Airlines is added to the boycott list.
Ehh.. There really isn't any way, physically at least, that the pilot or staff would even know the person identified as a woman. I'd imagine 100% of a random sample would believe that Amanda was a man.

Audioboxer

Ohhhhh my God America is the most dramatic country ever. Jesus fuck you guys need to chill out.

Many customers took to social media over the holiday weekend to complain about how the graphic on the shirt is "disrespectful," "disgusting" and "insulting," because an upside-down flag is an unofficial signal of distress. As members of the military know, flags are only meant to be flown this way "in instances of extreme danger to life or property," according to the U.S. Flag Code.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/style/2015/05/26/pacsun-flag-t-shirt/27959927/

Absolutelydisgusting.jpg

As I said above having pride in your country/flag and so forth can be a positive thing, but yeah, clothing isn't taking away from your countries values folks. Especially not when its tied to music/an artist. As always intent matters, but even then you should be able to wear a lot of things on clothing others find offensive.

And finally again, the flight company can do this as a private entity but they look like a bunch of dicks not valuing the American constitution by doing so.

Malreyn

I just google'd "What does upside down flag mean?" and literally the first entry

The upside down U.S. flag is an official signal of distress. It is not meant to be, and is not officially recognized as any type of disrespect when so displayed for the right reasons. To the contrary, here is the relevant part of the US Code of Laws regarding how to fly the flag when in distress: THE FLAG CODE.Feb 20, 2011

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
This is dumb. The pilot clearly just needed to fly upside down in order to rectify the ordeal instead of taking it out on the passenger.

Meanwhile, we got fuckstains going out of their way to say that any "outrage" issues with the upcoming movie will be conjured up by Slayven and his "holding back race relations" deplorables..😏

This is one of those times where I just get straight up confused by American culture, treating the flag as sacred or something. Flipping a picture of the flag upside-down draws gasps and offense as if there was a picture of a big veiny dick across the middle.

Having to turn the shirt inside-out, jfc.

Wolfe

That entry clearly states if used in proper manner though.

Yes but that does not mean that it then turns into a symbol of terrorism when not used in a "proper manner", which is what someone in this thread seems to believe.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
But "indicate" is not the same or inclusive of "create" or "support," but you've used all three to describe the shirt. The check engine light on your car doesn't go on because it made your car malfunction.

And again, the shirt was turned inside.

It can still be seen as a threat though and it's up to the pilots discretion as to how they act.

I just google'd "What does upside down flag mean?" and literally the first entry

The world has changed a lot since Feb 20 2011.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Edit- I don't wanna stir the pot here. In no way do I think this person should've been booted. I will say there should be an understanding that the world is overly sensitive about terrorism thanks to media and the paranoia spread by politicians and people like Trump... Does it make it fair? No but wearing an anarchy A will throw some people over an edge

Edit edit-. Anf I don't mean in public, I mean in an airport where the propaganda for all of this really took off.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
Cops interpreting people showing distress as a threat certainly would explain a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom