• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winterfell -> The Wall

Bran: Several months, maybe years
Tyrion: Weeks on Kings road iirc
Bookstannis: Months, sometimes stuck for several days in a row
Melissandre on the show. Casual stroll, safest path ever. Oh look, Davos made it too! Maybe half a day on horse.

Why was Stannis suffering in the first place? His army could basically go to Castle Black for lunch and be back in time for a camping adventure.

RyanDG

Jon Snow being 100% dead makes room for #TeamRickon for Warden of the North.

I would be all for Rickon as Warden of the North if he came back riding shaggy dog leading a band of cannibals. However, without some sort of time jump, I'm not quite sure how fearful a 8ish year old boy really could be.

Mel realizing Stannis is not the one is great

I just don't see Jon not being rezzed that would be an awful way out

Tales from my ass- but I'm leaning toward him being more than just rezzed in the traditional Beric/LSH sense. I think he's going to be reborn through fire- either by Mel in some sort of ritual, or by the Watch burning his body to keep him from turning into a wight. Like, maybe he takes on a different physical form (Azor Ahai) altogether- which would explain Kit not coming back, if that is indeed true.

Just seems strange that D&D would lay the groundwork towards R+L=J (hell, they essentially confirmed it) the way they did this season, if there's not a payoff of some sort.

Tubie

Why didn't The King or anyone from the Lannister camp save Cersei from imprisonment?

She gave the new High Septon way too much power, the Septon's guards probably outnumber the Gold Cloaks and the Lannister guards and that's not including the people of the city who would also side with the faith.

There's a reason one Targaryen king (Maegor?) in the past tried to wipe religion from Westeros and banned the faith from having any kind of army.

Winterfell -> The Wall

Bran: Several months, maybe years
Tyrion: Weeks on Kings road iirc
Bookstannis: Months, sometimes stuck for several days in a row
Melissandre on the show. Casual stroll, safest path ever. Oh look, Davos made it too! Maybe half a day on horse.

Why was Stannis suffering in the first place? His army could basically go to Castle Black for lunch and be back in time for a camping adventure.

Alot of this is because this season covered 2 books, making up about 2000 pages.

Those altar boys wearing nothing but linen cloths and armed with billyclubs were too much for the Kings Guard.

S6 opener reveals that Tommen is literally Cersei's puppet.

I mean, what the fuck?

Fine, I'll just look the other way for every other "what" moment, but this was just incredibly fucking dumb.

Cersei should start off by killing everyone inside the castle first.\
She gave the new High Septon way too much power, the Septon's guards probably outnumber the Gold Cloaks and the Lannister guards and that's not including the people of the city who would also side with the faith.

There's a reason one Targaryen king (Maegor?) in the past tried to wipe religion from Westeros and banned the faith from having any kind of army.

Thanks but I still have a hard time believing this.. It's the Lannister's ffs, can't they just call upon armies to deal with this shit?

For all the whining about Ramsay, did he have some failures and setbacks in the books that I'm forgetting? Because I remember him coming out ahead every step of the way that we've seen so far.

It's not about how much failures he had in the books. The show makes him do impressive things like dismantling Stannis twice and the Greyjoys that never occured on the books.

dubq

It's not about how much failures he had in the books. The show makes him do impressive things like dismantling Stannis twice and the Greyjoys that never occured on the books.

Yeah, Ramsay is given too much "Warrior Prowess" in the show. I have a hard time believing this guy would be that seasoned in battle.

Ros8105

Man, how much did the showrunners hate Stannis though. They basically put him in the show to shit on him. What the hell.

Alot of this is because this season covered 2 books, making up about 2000 pages.

Yeah, which was a shit decision. Still no reason to neglect the logic you were trying to establish this very season: Stannis suffering, such a long march for his army. He could hold a fortress for over a year but he sucks at a weekend camping trip.

Teleportation requires blood magic. Blood for the blood god and all that. Don't even ask what Littlefinger uses to power his.

I go with Raven-Air. Some huge ravens fly all the plotpeople through the world. Varys has the fastest of them all, maybe we can expect gandalf next season.

Yep. She can't seem to get her head around the idea that dying in a trial by combat is not the same thing as murder. Like, at all.

I imagine her reason for wanting war was because she thought Oberyn intended to kill all of the Lannisters. The whole reason he died was because he wasn't there just to kill The Mountain, he wanted the names of the people who gave the orders to butcher his family.

Tales from my ass- but I'm leaning toward him being more than just rezzed in the traditional Beric/LSH sense. I think he's going to be reborn through fire- either by Mel in some sort of ritual, or by the Watch burning his body to keep him from turning into a wight. Like, maybe he takes on a different physical form (Azor Ahai) altogether- which would explain Kit not coming back, if that is indeed true.

Just seems strange that D&D would lay the groundwork towards R+L=J (hell, they essentially confirmed it) the way they did this season, if there's not a payoff of some sort.

No resurrection hint to me means it's not happening.

Lots of vitriol in here today.

That's when you know a show should start to wind down. I remember Sopranos Season 4, 5, 6 hate.

Anyways, this season was the worst so far, on all levels. When source material ran out, the runners had no clue what to due. Everything was in a stall, and a lot of the story was pointless, or hendled so poorly, it reminded me of like the Sci Fy channel. .

I'm sorry to see Snow go. I hope he isn't gone for good. The nights-watch is full of unloyal bastards.

Kusagari

For all the whining about Ramsay, did he have some failures and setbacks in the books that I'm forgetting? Because I remember him coming out ahead every step of the way that we've seen so far.

A lot of that is because of Roose, while in the show Ramsay seems to basically be running the Bolton's at this point.

He's also hideous, disliked by women and more of a wild animal than a trained fighter in the books.

The show takes away all his flaws.

I need to see a gif of Jon running to see the wilding tell him about Benjen, only to see the sign with Dickbutt on it. it would sum up the finale well.

I really need to congratulate Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's performance as Jaime.

I remember in season one and two that I completely hated the character. Jaime was arrogant and a complete cunt. Now looking at Jaime in these last seasons he is completely different. Like a real nice guy. Just like the books.

Kaladin

The thing I don't understand....and it's highlighted more in the TV show....if you're going to kill Jon Snow, wouldn't you do it before he rallies a band of Wildlings to follow him across the wall....a band of Wildlings that would be divided, but ultimately see the Night's Watch turning on Jon Snow as just another betrayal?

Farmboy

Reading the different reviews online, there's no less than four characters who are speculated to be either dead or alive:

1. Jon
2. Stannis
3 & 4. Sansa & Theon

For the record, I'd say 1) dead-but-soon-to-be-resurrected, 2) dead, 3 & 4) alive.

Meryn Trant, Selyse and Myrcella (EDIT: and Myranda, of course) are obviously gone (though I believe the AV Club Experts review wasn't even 100% on Myrcella?).

The only reason some people expect Stannis to live is because they're in denial of the completely anti-climatic nature of his 'arc'. None of this says anything about their fates' in the book, of course.

I really need to congratulate Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's performance as Jaime.

I remember in season one and two that I completely hated the character. Jaime was arrogant and a complete cunt. Now looking at Jaime in these last seasons he is completely different. Like a real nice guy. Just like the books.

Casting is the one area this show has been consistently amazing. Aside from stableboy in Season 1, I don't think anyone has really struck me as terrible.

Mmm. Felt like Stannis was taken care of just to close the book on a story arc that they needed closed to bring it all to a head (neatly) for season 7.

And the writing felt different this time around for some reason.

Oh yeah, Dorne was garbage, complete garbage not even sexy Tyene and her "bad pussy" could save it. Poisoning Myrcella or wanting war is completely idiotic but it goes with the non-sense of their motivations. No "fire and blood" speech with a completely ineffective Doran.

Last season's finale soured me on season four so my expectations were already low for season five even though I was actually looking forward to cutting out a lot of the padding from AFfC and ADWD with very few things I was looking forward to but they still did manage to disappoint me even with how little I cared about alterations from those books. Over all certainly worse than season four as a whole. They're now done with the books aside from Arya's story though they already fucked around with that a fair bit at least they kept her going blind but I laughed and don't know how I feel about her already getting access to faces and all that. Stannis with Brienne's sole purpose for existing this season for killing him was meh, they just wanted to write them out of the story, frees up for new cast I guess, Dorne was horrible and I despise what they've done with Sansa's story and putting her in the Jeyne Poole position (even if toned down) except she's an actual Stark, makes no fucking sense for Littlefinger to do.

They're pretty much done with the books and it's going to be a miracle for season six to not be a disaster.

I need to see a gif of Jon running to see the wilding tell him about Benjen, only to see the sign with Dickbutt on it. it would sum up the finale well.
Imagine the set up for that. Was Thorne there all like, "All of the tall people in the back! Bruce, switch spots with Alan. Okay, good good. Now squeeze in tight, we don't want him to see the sign until he gets up to it. Dave, Andy, stop giggling, get your poker faces on. Jesus, guys. Where's Olly?"

Mxrz

The thing I don't understand....and it's highlighted more in the TV show....if you're going to kill Jon Snow, wouldn't you do it before he rallies a band of Wildlings to follow him across the wall....a band of Wildlings that would be divided, but ultimately see the Night's Watch turning on Jon Snow as just another betrayal?

I'm finding the more you think about it, the dumber it gets.

It was pretty hammy in the book. A lot calling it shallow since it seems obvious he gets a res. Only real guess its all about driving home that the current watch isn't anywhere near the idealized version Jon and others had of it. Its just a bunch of lowlifes. Tyrion's scene with Mormont and the guy that found Arya was pretty much them calling it exactly that.

The White Walkers in general seem like one big karmatic wrath of god thing.

Farmboy

Death by jumping into a giant fluffy snowbank?

Yeah, I don't get it either. I suppose one could be confused by the fact that they just showed Myranda fall to her death from a significantly lower height, but even then it's kind of obvious that this isn't the way they'd show it if the intention was them dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom