• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming sci-fi shows with space traversal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leflus

I recently finished watching Farscape, and it got me thinking about how the 90s and 00s was a goldmine for sci-fi shows with space traversal.

Star Trek TNG
Star Trek Voyager
Star Trek Deep Space Nine
Star Trek Enterprise
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis
Stargate Universe
Farscape
Firefly
Babylon 5
Space: Above and Beyond
Battlestar Galactica

And those are just the most recognized/respected ones. Whether everyone enjoyed all of them or not isn't really important. The point is that this type of sci-fi was a common sight on TV for 20 or so years.
Which coincidentally might be one of the reasons for why nobody has greenlit a new show since Stargate Universe in 2009. People probably got tired of the same type of stories. Four Star Trek and three Stargate shows does that to people, I guess.

That being said, there's no lack of sci-fi movies with space traversal (Star Trek, Interstellar, Jupiter Ascending, Avatar, Star Wars). Doctor Who is the closest thing we've got on TV these days,
but it's not really the same type of show as the ones I've listed above. There's also Defiance and Falling Skies, but both of those takes place on Earth.

I realise that these things happens in waves, though. Nowadays it seems like the TV industry has a hard on for fantasy, folklore and horror, but that could easily change in 4-5 years.
In fact, there's a number of sci-fi shows that's in development right now. I'm well aware of the fact that they might not make it to the pilot stage, but man.... Incursion sounds so good on paper. Let me dream. :(

Ringworld
Yes, Larry Niven's classic book series about the coolest megastructure in space could finally be getting a four-hour miniseries, according to Entertainment Weekly. EW describes this as a story about human explorers traveling to the farthest reaches of space to investigate "an alien habitat the size of one million Earths." They crashland and discover ancient civilizations, miraculous technology, and a possible salvation for Earth. Syfy considered making a Ringworld miniseries nine years ago, with a different crew. Let's hope this turns out better than Syfy's two Riverworld miniseries, and its Earthsea mini. This is being written by Michael Perry (The River, Paranormal Activity 2). And it's a co-production of MGM Television and Universal Cable Productions (UCP).

High Moon
Another space show, albeit one closer to Earth. This one has Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daisies) as an executive producer, although the pilot is mostly written by Jim Danger Gray (also Pushing Daisies). In High Moon, Earth's nations all start establishing colonies on the Moon to exploit all the natural resources up there — and then they discover "a new form of life." Chaos breaks out "in a genuinely emotional, humorously thrilling and always unexpected fashion,"

Orion
After a clan of bandits are nearly destroyed and left for dead by Coalition forces, they take refuge in the nearest safe haven, a derelict Coalition starship floating in space. Once onboard, they masquerade as Coalition officers while continuing their criminal ways ­-- until they stumble upon a shocking realization about the true nature of the Coalition. Todd Stashwick and Dennis Calero will write, with Hurd (The Walking Dead) and John Shiban (Hell on Wheels) attached to executive produce the UCP project.

Orion
The space opera centers on Orion, an adventurous female relic hunter who tracks down valuable artifacts while trying to piece together her past. Set amid an intergalactic war pitting humans against a terrifying alien race, Orion must decide whether to use her abilities to save herself or commit to the cause and unearth long hidden artifacts that could free all of humanity from a horrible fate. Ron Milbauer and Terri Hughes Burton (Alphas) will write and executive produce, with George Krstic and Ryuhei Kitamura on board as co-executive producers. F.J. Desanto will serve as a supervising producer on the UCP project.

Sojourn
The first detective ever in space is tasked with investigating a murder on a starship -- headed to colonize another planet --­ and instead becomes embroiled in a vast conspiracy involving a mysterious terrible crime dating back to the original launch of the ship 50 years ago. Phil Levens (Smallville) will write, with Blum (Paranormal Activity) on board to produce the Lionsgate entry.

Infinity
When an alien armada is sighted in the region of Pluto, the Earth government turns to a young billionaire industrialist -- who has the only ship ready for interstellar travel -- to greet the aliens and avoid a catastrophe. Powered by secret alien technology discovered on Earth in the 1960s, the ship engages in a firefight that sends them spinning through a wormhole into an uncharted region of space. Lost in the universe, the team struggles to survive as they encounter new planets and alien species, searching for a way back home. Javier Grillo-Marxuach (Lost) will write the Berman/Braun produced entry from Universal Television.

Incursion
Starz describes the show as "an epic science fiction action-thriller that follows a squad of soldiers caught in a war against a hostile alien race. Each season the battle will be fought on a new, exotic planet as humanity punches deeper into enemy territory. Grittily realistic combat, darkly complex characters and intrigue on a cosmic scale will permeate the tale of fighting men and women facing the pressures of war and an enemy unlike any ever seen."

Star Trek
Nothing concrete at the moment, but there has been talks about it:

Bob Orci just told me they've had a meeting with CBS to revive @StarTrek on TV...This made me v excited
- Joe Michalczuk (@joemichalczuk) October 8, 2013

Star Wars
Same situation as Star Trek.

In August 2013, Lee again visited the topic of a Star Wars live-action series, stating, "We've started conversations," he said. "I'd love to go there. I'm a particular fan of Lucasfilm. It's an amazing world."

Shows currently on TV:
Starblazers (animated show)
Space Dandy (animated show)

Are there any other upcoming shows that I have missed? I've focused on live action shows, but animated shows are welcome as well.

And do you think that we will ever see a new "golden age" similar to the one we had in the 90s/00s?

Chronoja

Will keep an eye on this thread. Was talking about this with a friend after having recently finished Farscape myself, although I still have several incarnations of Star Trek to watch, current tv just has nothing to fill those niches. Right now the only thing relatively close I could think of was Defiance, and it's completely Earth based. I've felt the lack of sci fi shows in general since Fringe ended so it's good to know there's at least some potential on the horizon.

I would love a new StarTrek post Voyager show. It won't be long before people forget that StarTrek was, indeed, a TV show before it was a movie franchise.

Leflus

50th anniversary of Star Trek coming up. Perfect time to bring it back to TV.
That's probably why they're talking about it. The reboot movies did okay saleswise, right?

I would love a new StarTrek post Voyager show. It won't be long before people forget that StarTrek was, indeed, a TV show before it was a movie franchise.
TV show -> movie franchise -> tv show -> movie franchise.

I'm sensing a pattern. :)

Paertan

Thanks OP! I did not know about any of these shows. Been hoping for a "real" sci fi show for a while. Hope some of them turn out great.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
http://starblazers.com/
KmFKaiel.jpg

Yamato 2199, also known as Starblazers for Americans, just got a reboot and it is amazing. Unfortunately, other than "finding" it on the internet, the only way to get it legitimately is through the link above. But if you are even remotely interested in space opera, you need to watch this show.

Leflus

Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise didn't get a feature film.
Heh. I forgot that Star Trek was both a movie and tv franchise in the 90s.

This was how I remembered it:
1. Star Trek TOS
2. Movies based on the original series
3. The Next Generation era
4. Reboot movies

(I don't know what the GAF consensus is on the TNG movies, but I'm not a huge fan of them except for First Contact.)

I think Robert Hewitt Wolfe (Andromeda, Alphas, Star Trek: DS9, The 4400) is working on something called "Defender" which is a space-based show. But that may have dropped off the radar permanently.

A quick google gives me this list of possible future shows: http://io9.com/syfy-is-making-an-effort-to-return-to-space-includi-472189506

KmFKaiel.jpg

Yamato 2199, also known as Starblazers for Americans, just got a reboot and it is amazing. Unfortunately, other than "finding" it on the internet, the only way to get it legitimately is through the link above. But if you are even remotely interested in space opera, you need to watch this show.

I didn't enjoy this one as it seemed incredibly silly. But that may have something do with the Captain's uncanny similarity to "Captain Birdseye" (wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Birdseye).

aku:jiki

All of those shows sound amazing to me, especially Infinity... Since it sounds like Farscape 2014.

Sadly, this means that none of them will happen and I have no idea why. Like apparently the excuse for Incursion was that it's "too expensive"... What? It was to be made by the same team as Spartacus, which was a 100% CG show with costumes! How exactly is it more expensive to render a space station compared to a roman city, and why is it more expensive to sew up a couple of fake space suits than it is to make roman armor and shields?

Bravocado

KmFKaiel.jpg

Awesome. I guess we can maybe include Space Dandy on the list then? :p

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
KmFKaiel.jpg

+1 for Space Battleship Yamato 2199. So damn good.

Awesome. I guess we can maybe include Space Dandy on the list then? :p

I don't see why not! Dandy is pretty great too.

I was under the impression the show runner behind Spartacus is helming Incursion. I have to say I'm extremely excited for it based on that alone.

Harlock

The Yamato 2199, remake from the original, is fantastic. Very well animated and with the same plot, but modernized.

yamato_by_tristtrist-d6bciko.gif

They need release the blu-ray in the west, with a realistic price. I wanna buy the original, but japanese prices of anime blu-ray/dvd are very expensive.

Just hope they dont release without japanese voices...

Leflus

Thanks. Added Ringworld, High Moon, Space Dandy and Starblazers.

I'm not a huge fan of anime, but I might have to look into Space Dandy and Starblazers.

I was under the impression the show runner behind Spartacus is helming Incursion. I have to say I'm extremely excited for it based on that alone.
You are correct.

What, no mention of Space Above and Beyond? Really good 90s show taking place in space
Sorry. I knew I was going to offend some people with the OP. :p Added.

Yeah, I love Doctor Who but it doesn't scratch the same itch as the others mentioned above. I had to go back and rewatch Babylon 5 to get my space travel fix.

mclem

It's often struck me that the premise of Gateway has a lot of potential to lend itself to a regular SF TV series. Perhaps a little close to Stargate, but there are significant nuances. It *did* lend itself, at least, to two excellent text adventures (I think Homeworld is largely original rather than based directly on a novel?)

Leflus

It's often struck me that the premise of Gateway has a lot of potential to lend itself to a regular SF TV series. Perhaps a little close to Stargate, but there are significant nuances. It *did* lend itself, at least, to two excellent text adventures (I think Homeworld is largely original rather than based directly on a novel?)
I just read up on it. I see the similarities with Stargate, but it also sounds a lot more "out there" compared to SG. It could definitely work as a TV series.

Ugh, Infinity sounds like a "find a way home" series a la Lost in Space or Voyager. I can't stand that premise, personally. It limits the types of stories you can tell since there's no contact with other humans, earth, politics, etc.

As for Star Trek back on TV? I say yes. It's been long enough but it really needs to be more in the vein of TOS/TNG than the other series. They certainly went to the well once too often and too soon back in the late 90s and people got fatigued. Don't get me wrong, I loved DS9 (maybe my fave) but I feel like the new show needs to be a standard TOS/TNG show to convince people to give it a chance. While each had good episodes and characters, I'm of the opinion that Voyager and Enterprise should not have been made, at least not when they were. It was too much. They needed to let the franchise "rest" for a while after DS9.

Star Wars on TV? I say no, or at least not a full series. For me, SW needs to stay the grand epic special event type of thing. The series they've had so far (Clone Wars, etc.) have just cheapened/diluted the brand, IMO. Yes, the Lucas prequels weren't good, but we're trying to rebuild from that debacle, not make things worse. A high-budget, live-action miniseries might be kind of cool. You could make that into an event.

Starviper

The Yamato 2199, remake from the original, is fantastic. Very well animated and with the same plot, but modernized.

yamato_by_tristtrist-d6bciko.gif

They need release the blu-ray in the west, with a realistic price. I wanna buy the original, but japanese prices of anime blu-ray/dvd are very expensive.

That scene got me so damn pumped. Loved watching that series. I guess there are a number of bits with the story plot I didn't care for (good ol' anime tropes) but the animation is stellar.

Jarmel

Banned
The only one that seems remotely interesting is Infinity.

Edit:Half of these seemingly aren't even going to get off the ground and are stuck in production hell.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

http://nubles.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/yamato_by_tristtrist-d6bciko.gif?w=545

If you go to starblazers.com, you see their plans for the American BD release. They're doing 6 volumes at 45 dollars each (about half the Japanese price), starting next month. It's sub only.

That Yamato gif is super slick, but I'll never get into that series because of anime tropes and the spaceship being a fucking submarine in space.

Schrade

I SO much want something from Larry Niven's Known Space books and Ringworld is a great place to start but man, I am afraid that it could be really badly done :-/

I still want to see it though. I don't think any of Niven's work has been turned into TV/Movies yet has it?

Now would be the time to do a Dream Park movie.

Blake's 7 is apparantly still go, but it's taken longer than they thought to get all the paperwork correct. Whether it'll actually be any good is another thing all together.

"Producer Leon Clarance says this is still on: "For those interested, Blake's 7 reboot with Martin Campbell at the helm is far from dead. It's just taking some time to do the legal deal. 1:11pm - 8 Jan 14""

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom