• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US.-led forces appear to be using white phosphorus in populated areas in Iraq & Syria

marrec

Banned
America, are you still the good guy ?

We've been using white phosphorus for decades, mainly as the intended screening and illuminating munition, but sometimes as an anti-personnel munition.

This has nothing to do with the current administration's incompetence or psychopathy.

notsol337

marked forever
It is a chemical weapon. Classifying as anything else, pretending they don't use it on people is bullshit. It causes severe burning, sticking to the skin and death by inhalation, and the US uses it on people:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4440664.stm

Boiling water and wood also cause severe burning in contact with skin because they're hot. Once the white phosphorus is done burning, the smoke cools down. I'm not saying white phosphorus is harmless, I'm saying that white phosphorus was not used here to kill people en masse.

Mulberry

It is a chemical weapon. Classifying as anything else, pretending they don't use it on people is bullshit. It causes severe burning, sticking to the skin and death by inhalation, and the US uses it on people:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4440664.stm

The US doesn't use it on people, it's a tool used to obscure the battlefield like illumination rounds (grenades, rockets, etc) are used to illuminate. I know from my military experience so feel free to share yours.

And by your definition, H2O is a chemical agent. When inhaled in large quantities it causes suffocation and death.

marrec

Banned
The US doesn't use it on people, it's a tool used to obscure the battlefield like illumination rounds (grenades, rockets, etc) are used to illuminate. I know from my military experience so feel free to share yours.

And by your definition, H2O is a chemical agent. When inhaled in large quantities it causes suffocation and death.

The currently policy of the US military is to not use it on people. Mostly because it's not as effective as other means. However the US military certainly has used it before on enemy combatants, by their own admission.

You're right though, defining it as a chemical agent using so broad a definition is ridiculous.

Skyzard

Banned
Boiling water and wood also cause severe burning in contact with skin because they're hot. Once the white phosphorus is done burning, the smoke cools down. I'm not saying white phosphorus is harmless, I'm saying that white phosphorus was not used here to kill people en masse.

Holy shit the gymnastics here.

I gave you a quote from US colonel saying they use it on people, from the BBC.

marrec

Banned
Holy shit the gymnastics used to justify its use.

It's not gymnastics, it's how the US uses it.

Yes, it's been used in the past against people, but that's against current military policy.

Skyzard

Banned
It's not gymnastics, it's how the US uses it.

Yes, it's been used in the past against people, but that's against current military policy.

I don't believe that for a second. They claimed the same thing before, in that very same link even. US lies out of its ass constantly. Complete hypocrites and no better than Assad.

The gymnastics being water is a chemical weapon to downplay the effects of white phosphorus on people.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I don't believe that for a second. The claimed the same thing before.

The gymnastics being water is a chemical weapon to downplay the effects of white phosphorus on people.

Even if used on people it's not in the same category as chemical weapons when you're talking something like sarin gas. Still, it shouldn't be used on people.

notsol337

marked forever
Holy shit the gymnastics here.

Instead of being a jerk and saying "Wow you guys are stupid" maybe read what I said.

They did not use white phosphorus as a weapon this time.

This time meaning the actions in the article. If they WERE using WP as a weapon, I would not be OK with that.

Cirion

Banned
Gotta love the people who explain every inhuman, murderous shit the US does away with "IT'S TRUMP, GUYS", as if the US isn't doing everything an imperialist global power looking out for its own interests does usually for many decades now.

America, are you still the good guy ?

It NEVER was. How can anyone after studying the history of just the Vietnam War, let alone countless other wars, interventions and meddling in other, democratic countries affairs, still believe this? There are no "good" and "bad" guys in geopolitics. But apparently the myth spun decades ago based on the US contributing the least of all major nations fighting against Nazi Germany still puts in good work. And even the intervention in Western Europe was certainly not just done because the US just had such a big heart.

marrec

Banned
I don't believe that for a second. The claimed the same thing before.

Sure, I agree we can't take what they say at face value, but it's use in this particular case doesn't make any sense. As a psychological tool it's rather ineffective here because it's being used against extremists who are trapped in one area surrounded by and with civilians. As a way to harm or kill mass numbers of enemy combatants it doesn't make sense because White Phosphorus has never been effective for that.

We know ISIS employs snipers to shoot escaping civilians. We know White Phosphorus is most effective as a screening tool. So the explanation given simply makes sense. Being angry about using it in this way is a waste of time if you ask me.

Mulberry

The currently policy of the US military is to not use it on people. Mostly because it's not as effective as other means. However the US military certainly has used it before on enemy combatants, by their own admission.

You're right though, defining it as a chemical agent using so broad a definition is ridiculous.

Correct, I should have specified current policy. I have helped mix and load napalm for training exercises as well as received training to load and arm NBC munitions on aircraft while being told it will never be used. Many people would be surprised to know how many aircraft in the US arsenal are capable of dropping a nuclear bomb.

Skyzard

Banned
Even if used on people it's not in the same category as chemical weapons when you're talking something like sarin gas. Still, it shouldn't be used on people.

It burns the skin to the bone and suffocates the victims.

The only reason US gets away with it is because they didn't sign a treaty:

White phosphorus is covered by Protocol III of the 1980 Convention on Conventional Weapons, which prohibits its use as an incendiary weapon against civilian populations or in air attacks against enemy forces in civilian areas.

The US - unlike 80 other countries including the UK - is not a signatory to Protocol III.

I don't believe that for a second. They claimed the same thing before, in that very same link even. US lies out of its ass constantly. Complete hypocrites and no better than Assad.

You're obviously going to believe whatever you want, but put simply:

There is no reason to use WP as an anti-personnel weapon against targets in this situation. The use in other conflicts was either due to a lack of more effective options (ie, WW2, when motolov cocktails were still issued by many forces), or in scenarios where dense forest and wooden structures meant that spreading fires from wide-area carpet bombing could create enormous amounts of damage.

There are no forests and very few primarily wooden structures in the combat area. The pictures shown are nowhere near enough WP to constitute a carpet bombing. That would be entirely ineffective against soft targets.

No one is saying they wouldn't do it because they're saints. They're saying they wouldn't do it because it would be ineffective and they have far more powerful and deadly means of indiscriminately killing large groups of people.

Woo-Fu

Banned
You have to be purposely ignorant to think US forces would be ordered to use WP against personnel today, particularly in civilian areas. Even if it were the most effective option---it isn't---the 24 hour news cycle would take it off the table. Welcome to 4GW.

marrec

Banned

No, we get away with it because no one will stop us.

Our internal policies match (and sometimes exceed) that of other weapons treaties, but even if they didn't and we said "Yes we dropped WP on ISIS" nobody would stop us from doing it again.

We aren't doing it because it's not effective in the current conflict.

Thaedolus

Gold Member

Sarin is a nerve agent. I mean, yes, warfare is inhumane generally but there are distinctions for reasons. Firebombing burned skin to the bone, burns lungs from smoke inhalation and causes asphyxiation; it's inhumane and cruel but it's not in the same category as chemical warfare

notsol337

marked forever

The area of burning and hot white phosphorus does that, yes.

According to the wikipedia article people have been linking in this thread, once the smoke has dispersed and cooled it's no more harmful that fuel-oil smoke.

"Smoke inhalation[edit]

Burning white phosphorus produces a hot, dense, white smoke consisting mostly of phosphorus pentoxide. Exposure to heavy smoke concentrations of any kind for an extended period (particularly if near the source of emission) has the potential to cause illness or death. White phosphorus smoke irritates the eyes, mucous membranes of the nose, and respiratory tract in moderate concentrations, while higher concentrations can produce severe burns. The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry has set an acute inhalation Minimum Risk Level (MRL) for white phosphorus smoke of 0.02 mg/m3, the same as fuel-oil fumes. By contrast, the chemical weapon mustard gas is 30 times more potent: 0.0007 mg/m3.[81]"

If the US really wanted to burn the area, they'd use napalm. I'm not saying "water is also a dangerous chemical" because I'm enjoying my "gymnastics", but because anything that is really hot or on fire causes burns on contact with skin. Yes, white phosphorus is dangerous and they need to be careful in civilian areas.

You know what else is dangerous? A 7.62mm chunk of copper-clad lead with a steel core travelling at close to 3,000 feet per second and weighing nearly 10 grams. That's what ISIS snipers are shooting people with, and that is the most logical reason that the US would use white phosphorus.

Skyzard

Banned

We've been using white phosphorus for decades, mainly as the intended screening and illuminating munition, but sometimes as an anti-personnel munition.

This has nothing to do with the current administration's incompetence or psychopathy.
We truly are in the darkest tumeline.

notsol337

marked forever
...Yeah, I'm out.

I'm not sure how to convey my point that white phosphorus is dangerous when used inappropriately, and that it wasn't used expressly to kill people in this single instance.

Have a fantastic day.

SpecOpsTheLine_LugoProtests.jpg

Kite

lol congrats, you have played or heard of Spec Ops The Line, you are now an expert in all the uses of WP lolol

Mulberry

There is a lot of arguments about the semantics of what defines a chemical weapon or not in this thread. The real issue at hand is that it was used in close proximity to civilians. If the US forces wanted everyone dead there are a lot better ways to do it. Like I said earlier in the thread, I've seen the result of what happens when someone receives a direct hit to the face by white phosphorus. It's not pretty and inhumane, but not as effective as a bomb or bullet.

Skyzard

Banned
There is a lot of arguments about the semantics of what defines a chemical weapon or not in this thread. The real issue at hand is that it was used in close proximity to civilians. If the US forces wanted everyone dead there are a lot better ways to do it. Like I said earlier in the thread, I've seen the result of what happens when someone receives a direct hit to the face by white phosphorus. It's not pretty and inhumane, but not as effective as a bomb or bullet.

The smoke spreads through buildings, that's a lot more effective than a bullet.

Why not just use a bomb? It doesn't inflict as much terror - admitted as a reason for its use by US Lieutenant Colonel Barry Venable (quoted above already).

The same reason Assad might use chemical weapons, instead of just a bomb, which he also has.

Scum.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
White phosphorus is one of the most effective smokescreen agents and has long been used for that purpose. It wasn't being used to kill people and hasn't been used by the US for that purpose in a long time.

If that was happening, you'd hear about it.

Skyzard

Banned
White phosphorus is one of the most effective smokescreen agents and has long been used for that purpose. It wasn't being used to kill people and hasn't been used by the US for that purpose in a long time.

If that was happening, you'd hear about it.

What's a long time? 10 years? We did hear about it. At the very last ground invasion. No changes have been made to policy since.

Lenz44

Banned
The smoke spreads through buildings, that's a lot more effective than a bullet.

Why not just use a bomb? It doesn't inflict as much terror - admitted as a reason for its use by US Lieutenant Colonel Barry Venable (quoted above already).

The same reason Assad might use chemical weapons, instead of just a bomb, which he also has.

Scum.
Why would you use a bomb to provide a smokescreen? You would be terrible leading any kind of military.

Skyzard

Banned
Why would you use a bomb to provide a smokescreen? You would be terrible leading any kind of military.

It's not just used as a smokescreen, read the thread.

Hell read, the post you quoted, senior US military official contradicts the state saying that excuse is 'based on poor information', admitting it is used on people to terrorise and flush out enemies.

Skyzard

Banned
If you're firing it in the middle of the desert, where there are no buildings, to block the view of snipers etc - that's one thing. When you're firing it all over populated areas, that's a chemical weapon attack.

In this case it sure seems like it was.

It's used in both Syria and Iraq, what's "this case" exactly?

They fire it on populated areas, having the smoke flood through all the buildings. It's in the title of the damn thread. There are multiple videos in the link in the OP.

Are you just here to try and excuse chemical weapon use?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
"You think our country's so innocent?"

- President Donald J. Trump

Weckum

"You think our country's so innocent?"

- President Donald J. Trump

The amount of shit he got for this is amazing, even tho this is the one time I actually agreed with him.

Also, fuck white phosphorus and any country that uses it (among others: US, Russia and Israel)

aristotle

If you're firing it in the middle of the desert, where there are no buildings, to block the view of snipers etc - that's one thing. When you're firing it all over populated areas, that's a chemical weapon attack.

It's used in both Syria and Iraq, what's "this case" exactly?

They fire it on populated areas, having the smoke flood through all the buildings. It's in the title of the damn thread. There are multiple videos in the link in the OP.

Are you just here to try and excuse chemical weapon use?

Do you realize the smoke isn't actually toxic (and is actually a smokescreen) or do you just want to keep believing that even the smoke is toxic?

From the way your posts come across, it's like you don't even know that it's only hot when it creates the smoke (much like every firecracker smoke "bomb") and the smoke is just a thick cloud to obscure vision.

Skyzard

Banned
Do you realize the smoke isn't actually toxic (and is actually a smokescreen) or do you just want to keep believing that even the smoke is toxic?

From the way your posts come across, it's like you don't even know that it's only hot when it creates the smoke (much like every firecracker smoke "bomb") and the smoke is just a thick cloud to obscure vision.

The claim that it's not that toxic is based on a wikipedia page with an out of date link.

The same organisation as the original source used says this:

An acute inhalation MRL of 0.02 mg/m3 was derived based on throat irritation in humans (White and Armstrong 1935).

These studies have several limitations; a limited number of end points were examined in the White and Armstrong (1935) study, and animals were held for 2 weeks following exposure termination in the Bowen et al. (1980) study. In addition, these studies expressed air concentrations in terms of orthophosphoric acid or phosphorus
pentoxide equivalent concentrations making it difficult to assess the health risk to humans following exposure to white phosphorus smoke. Acute-duration inhalation exposure studies examining a number of end points would be useful in assessing human health risk.
- https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/ToxProfiles/tp103.pdf

Whereas:

A former US soldier who served in Iraq says breathing in smoke close to a shell caused the throat and lungs to blister until the victim suffocated, with the phosphorus continuing to burn them from the inside.
- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4441902.stm

So it melts the skin to your bone, ignited with contact to air and sticking to the skin. Blistering the throat and lungs.

But it's not a chemical weapon or toxic!

When it's used on people, it's a chemical weapon. And when you're firing it in populated areas as they are, it's going to hit people. Which is actually the point, despite other claims, as validated by senior military (linked in above post) and by infantry:

The spokesman referred reporters to an article in the March-April 2005 edition of the Army's Field Artillery magazine, an official publication, in which veterans of the Fallujah fight spelled out their use of white phosphorous and other weapons. The authors used the shorthand "WP" in referring to white phosphorous.

"WP proved to be an effective and versatile munition," the authors wrote. "We used it for screening missions at two breeches and, later in the fight, as a potent psychological weapon against the insurgents in trench lines and spider holes when we could not get effects on them with HE (high explosive)" munitions.
- http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/16/AR2005111600374.html

The US uses chemical weapons on people.

further reading: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2005/nov/15/usa.iraq

commedieu

Banned
Lots of gymnastics. But, you are probably more likely to join or support terrorist if the wp "accidentally" killed/hurt your brother/sister/child. But im sure if they are just explained why it wasn't the worse way to die, they'd feel better.

If WP is our answer to sniper fire, it's no wonder this thing will be yet another chapter in this decades long pointless "war"

it's use just makes a bad look. Especially when friends like Saudi, are using it on people on yemen.

Skyzard

Banned
Lots of gymnastics. But, you are probably more likely to join or support terrorist if the wp "accidentally" killed your brother/sister/child.

If WP is our answer to sniper fire, it's no wonder this thing will be yet another chapter in this decades long pointless "war"

it's use just makes a bad look. Especially when friends like Saudi, are using it on people on yemen.

Even Israel claims it stopped using white phosphorus (after images like this were circulated):

CCFuFzw.jpg

r1HUmOl.jpg

Dopus

Banned
As a flag-waving American, no, no we are not.

The "good" America ceased to be when we elected a deranged man-child with dreams of being a dictator into the White House.

Yes, because before President Trump America was "good". That's the best joke in here.

Top Bottom