• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US may test Beijing's territorial claims in south china sea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Log4Girlz

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...eijings-territorial-claims-in-south-china-sea

"Although the United States does not recognise China’s claims of sovereignty around the manmade structures, American P-8 surveillance planes and naval vessels patrolling the area have not ventured within 12 nautical miles of the artificial islands – the standard territorial zone around natural land.

“That would be the next step,” Pentagon spokesman Colonel Steven Warren told reporters.

Asked if the military would move to within that sensitive zone, he said: “We don’t have any announcement to make on next steps. We are going to continue our routine flights.”

US officials have said they are weighing sending warships and surveillance aircraft within 12 nautical miles of the manmade islands in the South China Sea to test Beijing’s controversial territorial claims."

Wonder how this will work out. I assume the US will respect the claim to the Spratly islands but refuse to accept the South China sea as sovereign like China seems to want.

i don't understand..
is that sea subject to freedom of use or not?
if it is, if us wants to just leave there some ships, that's fine..
so far that, IF america pulls any cansas city's move, i expect the UN to act accordingly toward the us, if such move is taken upon own initiative..

I mean, I don't like the concept of stuff just outside my coast, but so far that they are just there, I can survive.. but I expect UN to be impartial if any shit is pulled by either party of this strongarm contest... :)

KevinRo

I don't think he's weak at diplomacy. I think he's the "good cop" to the hawkish "bad cop"s.

You need both for effective foreign policy.

Yep. Need a good cop that allows this, right?

_67616829_south_china-sea_1_464.gif

Condom

One problem with Obama he super weak international diplomacy and get pushed around by other nations.
Wtf are you even talking about? US still is mister world police just a little less so.

Man, going back to dealing with your own problems like other nations will be some reality-breaker for some people.

And what do your propose he do about it?

Call it for what it is, a illegal unilateral move by China to attempt to claim sovereignty over a vast region of sea they have no right to. Sail carrier battle groups straight through the nine dash line and tell China they have a right to freedom of navigation through that region. Any action by China to prevent the safe passage of those ships through the region will be seen as a violation of UN law and an act of war. Basically show the nations in that region that China doesn't dictate who had which territory. As much as possible it should be based on the rule of law, the nine dash line is a bunch of bullshit and should be treated as such.

Ecotic

Ultimately this situation isn't a vital interest for the U.S., and to get along with China in the future we're going to have to respect their sphere of influence. There's no quick and easy resolution here, even if the U.S. permanently stationed a fleet to scare China away the Vietnamese are still building islands themselves, and the amount of conflicting territorial claims even in the absence of China is something the U.S. can't solve. Only arbitration would solve the claims, which China will never submit too. Sooner or later on this, the U.S. will have to realize the futility of being involved here. There's just no endgame.

Zophar

Would be easier to name a time he wasn't. I can't think of any times USA got the better side of a deal.

No, they just dialed back the dramatically superior side of the deal they've held for decades, if you're talking about Cuba and Iran.

What a ridiculous standard to hold US diplomacy to.

So basically bring the region to the brink of war? What benefit would that have for the United States and its allies in the region?

China is the one trying to bring the region to the brink of war by unsettling the relative harmony of nations that all share those waters. They are acting in an expansionist, militarily aggressive way, very similar to what Russia has been doing. They are testing us, and need to be checked.

Wtf are you even talking about? US still is mister world police just a little less so.

Man, going back to dealing with your own problems like other nations will be some reality-breaker for some people.

It would also be a reality check for other nations who actually have to defend their own borders instead of crying help all the time from the "international community".

Trouble

Banned
After they used them on there people. And using airsprike against our own cities.

I mean wtf... this is a good deal? Lol

wat? Airstrike against our own cities?

Also explain what a better deal would have been for us giving up nothing in return for them voluntarily giving up their chemical weapons stockpiles.

So basically bring the region to the brink of war? What benefit would that have for the United States and its allies in the region?

Agreed, I didn't mean to sound that militaristic. Though I believe the spirit of the challenge is backed by rule of law under the UN. China has arbritrarly made the move to claimed this area of the South China Sea. For that claim to be challenged, I think it has to be met in a strong and resolute manner if the US wants to ensure freedom of access. What incentive does China have to go to a negotiating table if it thinks it can just do what it wants without challenge?

Darkangel

Maybe it's time for the US to revive SEATO. There's a lot of bad blood in the region, but perhaps a growing Chinese threat could unite the various countries. NATO has been a fairly strong deterrent against Russian action in Europe.

Maybe it's time for the US to revive SEATO. There's a lot of bad blood in the region, but perhaps a growing Chinese threat could unite the various countries. NATO has been a fairly strong deterrent against Russian action in Europe.

There is already ASEAN but China is smart enough to use the organizations rules against itself. You basically need a consensus to have anything done and China bought the poorer and smaller countries' (Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar) votes against the richer and bigger ones (Philippines and Vietnam).

GeekyDad

http://news.yahoo.com/chinese-diplomat-outlines-limits-freedom-navigation-092358421.html

Sounds like China didn't like the U.S. testing those claims...

Kind of ironic since China was a ratified signatory of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.

Taking advantage of the current political climate as always.

"A CNN reporter who was on board the plane, which had taken off from the Philippines..."

Ahahaha. The US propaganda machine. CNN had to have known they were being used, and if they didn't, they're bigger fucking idiots than everyone already makes them out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom