• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Senate calls on British spy Chris Steele: give evidence on Trump-Russia Dossier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christopher Steele, the former MI6 spy who prepared the explosive Trump report, has been approached about testifying before the US Senate Intelligence Committee's investigation into the new President's alleged links with Russia, The Independent can reveal.

Mr Steele's friends say it is currently unlikely he would be willing to travel to the US. But it is understood Democrats – as well as some Republicans – in Congress are prepared to facilitate discreet initial meetings in the UK or on other neutral territory.

John McCain, the former Republican presidential candidate, and chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, sent an intermediary to London in November last year to collect Mr Steele's dossier, which was subsequently passed personally by the Senator to FBI director James Comey.
It has also emerged that in the last days of Barack Obama's presidency, officials were so worried that the incoming Trump administration would try to suppress or destroy incriminating material that they passed on information to the intelligence agencies and senior figures in Congress.

via

Jinaar

If they ever do get him to testify in person, they better get a recording of the testimony first so if he dies during transport, they have a backup. God does that sound terrible :(

Bedlam

Hollywood can pack it up. You can never beat this insanity.

Also, I hope Steele has surrounded himself with some good security.

promo308743044.jpg

RoKKeR

Well this is interesting. Why would they ask him about this now? Is there something going on behind the scenes that would have lent the dossier more credence than it had when it leaked? If it was outrageous and based in fiction as many suggested, why would the Intelligence Committee request to speak with him?

BSsBrolly

Banned
Hahaha!

Oh man I sincerely hope this is what brings Trump down. I can't help but be cynical though. Years of Republicans getting away with shit has made me a pessimist...

Isak_Borg

Well this is interesting. Why would they ask him about this now? Is there something going on behind the scenes that would have lent the dossier more credence than it had when it leaked? If it was outrageous and based in fiction as many suggested, why would the Intelligence Committee request to speak with him?

FBI isn't sharing information with them so they're going to the source.

Sulik2

This dude is probably number one on Putin's kill list. I hope the British are protecting him properly and with a Russian puppet as us president I sure wouldn't want to testify here either.

It may be to verify the information about the dossier, and in particular inquire as to Steele's sources. Additional assurance of credibility lends weight to the information in the dossier.

From what we understand the dossier is being verified piece by piece and everything is coming together as expected.

No doubt in my mind that the FSB has a standing order to kill him if they get the chance. It's going to be insanely tricky to get him stateside alive.

This dude is probably number one on Putin's kill list. I hope the British are protecting him properly and with a Russian puppet as us president I sure wouldn't want to testify here either.

Feel like he's not with our government, they could very easily turn him in for point scoring with the Trump admin.

Madness. Thing is I would assume that all the necessary folks in the IC are in full possession of the details. With spycraft it's all about how you play the game.

Who can be trusted first. Both in the UK and US. No point passing on all the details for it to disappear, you need a receptive audience first.

TheMan

Interesting, I figured the world had moved on. What a fucking disaster if they fully prove the veracity of that dossier, jesus.

The US government turning over a British spy to the Russians would lead to WW3.

I figured as the dude was semi retired our government wouldn't give that much of a shit. Oh wait, now I remember that he might know some sensitive knowledge.

Shows how little I think of May and co. That I'd even entertain the notion.

commedieu

Banned
Whaat? This is nothing.... this is nothing this is nothing this is nothi..this is.. error ..errror...
[Fatal fault: downplay.py]

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
What if it's just a trap to catch him? Doesn't make sense for Steele to show up personally, especially with the current administration so freely ignoring all rules, laws, morals, and common decency.

Xe4

Banned
I wonder how much of his info is based off of confidential sources, and as such, how much he is actually able to reveal.

It'll be intresting to see this all go down, though.

It seems like at least some of the dossier is being confirmed, if the leaks are to be belived, so we know at least some of it is true.
?

Or is this actually being done with good intentions?
They're not asking him to come out of hiding. He could do the testimony in a video call.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Mr.Shrugglesツ;231355182 said:
It has also emerged that in the last days of Barack Obama’s presidency, officials were so worried that the incoming Trump administration would try to suppress or destroy incriminating material that they passed on information to the intelligence agencies and senior figures in Congress.

Probably one of those, we cc:ed a lot of people so they all know everyone else knows. Just a matter of who drops it first.

pixelation

What if it's just a trap to catch him? Doesn't make sense for Steele to show up personally, especially with the current administration so freely ignoring all rules, laws, morals, and common decency.

I don't get this either... there are several ways to do a video conference nowadays, no need to put his life in danger.

Get ready for disappointment folks. I doubt Steele has any physical evidence outside of secretly sourced information.

If he doesn't have video or audio recordings with confirmed, outed sources, or credible witnesses willing to testify to all this stuff, this might be the beginning of the end of any investigations into illegal Trump-Russia dealings.

Let's hope such evidence exists.

Xe4

Banned
Get ready for disappointment folks. I doubt Steele has any physical evidence outside of secretly sourced information.

If he doesn't have video or audio recordings with confirmed, outed sources, or credible witnesses willing to testify this might be the beginning of the end of any investigations into illegal Trump-Russia dealings.

I doubt he has anything too substantial, but it certainly is not the beginning of the end. Most departments in the IC have open cases on Russia Trump relations, and are verifying the dossier with at the very least some success.

We're already too deep into the investigation for it to be stopped now. Either there isn't enough evidence to pin Trump or there is.

KHarvey16

If he doesn't have video or audio recordings with confirmed, outed sources, or credible witnesses willing to testify to all this stuff, this might be the beginning of the end of any investigations into illegal Trump-Russia dealings.

No way. This guy is a known quantity with a history of providing well sourced intelligence to previous FBI investigations. Some of the raw intelligence in his dossier is already being confirmed. His involvement is the start and it's certainly not on his shoulders to provide the smoking gun.

This feels like normalizing.

e:
Because why not:

9bb2YHR.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom