• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Using a PAL console in Japan

Just wondering in any of you guys had experiences using PAL consoles in Japan?

I'm moving there in a 4 weeks and don't want to have to buy yet another PS2, thankfully my GC is already Japanese so that'll be fine.

Anyway, I've got a transformer, so power isn't an issue, it's the TV signal that I'm worried about...

Do Japanese TVs have RGB/SCART? Or do they just composite? If it's just composite, I'd assume that the PAL picture would be black & white on an NTSC TV? Or do most TVs accept both PAL and NTSC signals (like newer TVs in Europe)?

Any help on this subject would be appreciated! :D

callous

They have SCART, but it's not the same pinout as our SCART, unfortunately. That means relying on RGB through to give you colours through a Euro SCART probably isn't possible. That's all I know. You can rewire a Euro SCART and make it work.

JPN SCART Pinout

Or you could just buy a Japanese PS2 RGB cable if such things are available.

See this article

That doesn't solve the 60hz/50hz issue. Someone in Japan's gotta answer that. You could just throw all your 50hz-only games away!

MadFuzzy

I've always been under the impression that, whilst a lot of CRT TVs in Europe will do NTSC (as it's cheap to do and some people might use it, heck my 12 year old Sony 14" does it via scart), very few NTSC CRT TVs in the US or Japan will actually do PAL (because the chances of people using it ever are microscopic). I'm not sure about the modern LCD/plasma ones, but it's possible it might be a similar situation in the world of NTSC.

You might want to consider a Japanese PS2 as it'll just be easier for you (not sure of the current secondhand price, but if you don't want to pay full price, there are always options), as a standards converter (which I know some people over there use) might cost you almost the same amount if your TV doesn't do PAL natively. Then again you'd be able to use other PAL hardware via a converter, like DVD players, etc, but they're not as easy to find as you'd like them to be.

Shompola

Banned
Your 60hz games will output an NTSC signal and will work just fine as long as you are using a composite, s-video or component cable. RGB will unfortunately not work here unless the TV supports interlaced RGB Scart. 50hz games are outputted in PAL format and you need to convert it to 60hz NTSC as most tvs do not support any kind of PAL.

Top Bottom