• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phillip W. Spencer III "Japan is the most growing market for Xbox... I consider Steam Deck as Xbox... Switch and PS users as part of Xbox community"

gokurho

translated by MS's ChatGPT
-- At the "Xbox Digital Broadcast" delivered in line with Tokyo Game Show 2023, you mentioned that the Xbox market in Japan and Asia is evolving. What particular aspects can be highlighted?

Phil: Looking at the Japanese gaming market over the past 10 to 20 years, its trends are very interesting. Firstly, mobile gaming has grown significantly in Japan. Also, the market for console games remains robust. Particularly, PC gaming is growing in Japan.

The current figures in Japan show that over the past three years, Xbox has been the fastest-growing market compared to any other country, region, or market. A lot of this growth is driven by PC. This indicates that the Xbox brand has been embraced by Japanese gaming enthusiasts across a variety of platforms including home consoles, PCs, and the cloud, which is very gratifying for us. We at Xbox, aspire to be a gaming brand that players choose regardless of where they are.
-- Support for Japanese creators, the production of XSS, and the enriched content of Xbox Game Pass also seem to contribute to the spread of XSX|S.

Phil: Yes, Xbox Game Pass holds significant importance in Xbox. Especially, the growth of PC Game Pass is remarkable. The size of the PC gaming market in Japan has about doubled over the past three years, whereas the user base of PC Game Pass has quadrupled. The growth of Game Pass is faster than the market growth, which is very good for the Xbox brand as a whole.
-- Is it possible that the number of Game Pass users exceeds the sales figures of hardware?

Phil: Good question (laughs). We consider everyone who plays, including Game Pass users, as Xbox users. Of course, many play on home consoles, but many also play on home consoles or PCs at home and on the cloud when on the go. This multi-device gameplay scenario raises a question, “Is Xbox a community of multi-device players?” I believe that Xbox is indeed a community of players who can play across various devices.

I travel and move around a lot, so I carry around an ASUS ROG Ally (a portable gaming PC released by ASUS in June), which I also consider to be Xbox. Of course, it can use Game Pass, and I play "Starfield" and "Lies of P" on it. My various save data is in the cloud, so I can transition screens and play anywhere. It becomes a community that I carry around with me. When I get home, I connect it to a large TV and play on a home console.
-- The demand for gaming PCs is growing in Japan, and Steam as a platform for playing games on PC is very well established. Steam could be a rival to Xbox as a platform, how do you feel about Steam?

Phil: Regarding Steam, I consider them a partner. They have been wonderful innovators in Windows gaming for many years, providing innovative technology. In that sense, not only ROG Ally, but I also consider Steam Deck as Xbox (laughs).
-- I imagine there might be requests from Japanese fans for more Square Enix titles to be available on Xbox Game Pass. Is it something they can look forward to?

Phil: At the fan festival in Las Vegas, I had the opportunity to talk on stage with the new President and CEO, Takashi Kiryu, and Yoshida-san (Naoki Yoshida). Kiryu-san mentioned that they will be providing more support for Xbox going forward, which I find very encouraging. Of course, we need to spend more time coordinating with Square Enix, but the support for "FFXIV" on XSX|S is very pleasing, and I think there are many exciting things to look forward to in the future.
-- From our conversation, it seems like the concept of forming an Xbox community not just on gaming consoles, but on the cloud is likely to become established in the future.

Phil: Both are important indeed. Firstly, regarding the hardware, I am very excited and looking forward to what can be achieved in the future. With respect to hardware, it's not just about merely aligning with what other companies are doing, but I believe there's something unique that can be offered to Xbox users. Just as I consider ROG Ally and Steam Deck as part of the Xbox community, it's necessary to consider the numerous Nintendo Switch and PlayStation users as part of the Xbox community going forward.

Similarly, including those who are playing on PC with Game Pass, it's important to ensure that everyone who continues to play Xbox games feels equal within the community. There are many things to work on.
You all are Xbox community members 🙅‍♂️

Brigandier

I want nothing to do with the Xbox community and nuts like these guys:

XnzN15P.jpg

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
starfield ps5 confirmed!!!???

doesnt mean ill play it though.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The interview reads like a celebrity who does a shirty Japanese commercial for a large chunk of change and believes the video clip of the ad will never leave Japan. Pity there isn't a video of this.

tommib

translated by MS's ChatGPT

You all are Xbox community members 🙅‍♂️
#notmypresident

K2D

Banned
Because they jumped ship, right Phil? That's what it's all about - luring back old 360 casuals and obtaining new gamepass ones.

Last edited:

Majukun

i mean , if he subs the term xbox for gamepassa it's not entirely wrong, the more people buy a pc-like architecture, the more potential buyers for gamepass outside of xbox console...but for the xbox brand? nah.

SJRB

Gold Member
Phil: Regarding Steam, I consider them a partner. They have been wonderful innovators in Windows gaming for many years, providing innovative technology. In that sense, not only ROG Ally, but I also consider Steam Deck as Xbox (laughs).

what-the-fuck-are-you-talking-about-leonardo-dicaprio.gif

This has to be a massive translation error because there's no way he actually said Steam, Switch and PS are part of the Xbox community.

Fredrik

how long before ms starts adding ps and switch users as engagement for their own numbers?
Starts? They’ve been doing that ever since games came to those platforms, when talking about players, and when they added Xbox to PC and cloud. Console fanboys just live in a bubble and pretends that nothing else is going on outside. For everyone else it’s already clear that MS just want more money while increasing the idea that Xbox is growing through Xbox Gamepass and Xbox accounts and Live to Gamepass conversion etc. Xbox consoles is a shrinking platform.

”Steam is Xbox” was new though… Time to add that Steam client to Series console then Phil so I can use the same saves and licenses on PC and consoles. No?

Typical empty PR words on random interviews.

But necessary as it creates threads like this one lol

Phil Spencer's threads on Gaf and JK Rowling ones on Resetera are always must watch with some funny outrages

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think Phil is smoking something to say that. Just make a proper xbox portable for $399 and drop series S. Include a dock or direct hdmi plug in.

They are willing to spend 80+ billion on devs but not take a big loss on hardware. What do you all think a $249 series x or $149 series s would do for sales this fall?
I mean 50 million units at a $200 loss is only 10 billion.......

And by the way, the only reason the "green team" is so defensive is they are outnumbered 3 or 4 to 1. Well that and continued third place doesn't help much.
See above for solution.

Last edited:
Top Bottom