• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve Sends Steam Deck Drivers to Linux Kernel

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Add a driver exposing various bits and pieces of functionality
provided by Steam Deck specific VLV0100 device presented by EC
firmware. This includes but not limited to:

- CPU/device's fan control
- Read-only access to DDIC registers
- Battery tempreature measurements
- Various display related control knobs
- USB Type-C connector event notification

This should be rolling into the Linux kernel 5.18 that's due for release later this year. What this means is that there will be more "out of the box" functionality (eventually) with different Linux operating systems. Not sure why exactly you'd want to install Ubuntu on this instead of SteamOS, but I guess that'll be an option soon enough without jumping through a ton of hoops!

Kuranghi

How the fudge do I buy this, am I just waiting on an email? I checked my preorder page and its still the same but don't want to miss my chance obviously. I'm sure there will be a big hoo-ha on here when its released anyway so prob shouldn't worry.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How the fudge do I buy this, am I just waiting on an email? I checked my preorder page and its still the same but don't want to miss my chance obviously. I'm sure there will be a big hoo-ha on here when its released anyway so prob shouldn't worry.
Everything right now is just pre-orders and putting down a $5 deposit.

When your turn in line to buy the Steam Deck comes up, Valve will email you. You'll then have 3 days to complete the full checkout process by making your full payment. The first round of these emails is currently scheduled to start going out Feb 25th if you're in the Q1 2022 group.

Kuranghi

Everything right now is just pre-orders and putting down a $5 deposit.

When your turn in line to buy the Steam Deck comes up, Valve will email you. You'll then have 3 days to complete the full checkout process by making your full payment. The first round of these emails is currently scheduled to start going out Feb 25th if you're in the Q1 2022 group.

Cheers pal, mine says Q2 2022 so guessing mine will be after Feb, thats good anyway, need to set aside a bit more money for it and also can see what the initial reception is and how much people actually want them. If its sought after for some reasons but not really what I personally want I'm going to sell it on.

Top Bottom