• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Announcement of Dune Part 2 could come shortly

ManaByte

So why hasn’t “Dune: Part II” officially been announced?

In short, it’s not really Warner Bros.’ decision to make, though the studio could opt not to distribute the film. However, that move seem unlikely given the positive reception to “Dune” and the media company leadership’s evident enthusiasm for all things Atreides.

Legendary Pictures, the company that co-financed “Dune” in addition to producing and developing the interplanetary adventure, owns cinematic rights to the property and therefore determines whether or not a follow-up film will take place. Oftentimes after a movie opens to No. 1 at the box office, Hollywood players would capitalize on positive headlines by fast-tracking a sequel. Case in point: mere minutes after “Wonder Woman 1984” set a then-pandemic box office record with $16.9 million in North America, Warner Bros. announced plans for a third installment with star Gal Gadot and director Patty Jenkins.

Why Legendary has yet to unveil plans for a sequel remains ambiguous, though an announcement could come shortly, according to insiders. Legendary and Warner Bros. declined to comment.

Its Time Adventure GIF by Dune Movie

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Jesus, let's go, we need a good sci-fi epic and Dune is the only remaining candidate. Hyperion is too niche, and Foundation is LOL Apple TV+ fest.

While at it can we get Mistborn trilogy made?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
On another note, I can't believe another Wonder Women movie got greenlit. Low standards I guess. On the plus side, I guess they couldn't make a worse one.

Spaceman292

Banned
Jesus, let's go, we need a good sci-fi epic and Dune is the only remaining candidate. Hyperion is too niche, and Foundation is LOL Apple TV+ fest.

While at it can we get Mistborn trilogy made?
I'd love Hyperion but it's too batshit crazy to be anything other than a book. Perhaps an explicit comic book but even that's pushing it.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
There's lots of material in scfi and fantasy yet to be adapted. I think it boils down to money. These things aren't cheap to make and they don't always go gangbusters at the box office. I'd love to see Dragon Riders of Pern adapted for example. Arthur C Clarkes 2001 books would be cool. I doubt either will happen.

My guess is that Feyd Rautha will have a huge part in part 2, and the casting decision will be met with praise or disappointment. Hopefully its someone like Cillian Murphy.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
My guess is that Feyd Rautha will have a huge part in part 2, and the casting decision will be met with praise or disappointment. Hopefully its someone like Cillian Murphy.
Who do you think should play the emperor? I think it would be cool to cast Patrick Stewart just for that callback to the Lynch version but that'd probably to on the nose. I'm betting it will be someone like the old Lannister guy from Game of Thrones.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Mads Mikkelson as the Emperor would be awesome.

Saorise Ronan as Princess Irulan.

Now, I’m hoping there’s a Dune Part 1 Director’s Cut, that gives a bit more screen time to Yueh.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Should've filmed them back2back. I think I saw an article in Variety that noted that WB doesn't trust the talent they hire. Not filming both parts at the same time shows a lack of confidence/competence on the part of the studio. I read it on my phone, so can't share the link, but I thought it was a good read.

Anyway, I really liked the first part (Zendaya gripe aside), and will definitely watch the second part. They need to bring the entire production team back. I wouldn't change a thing. I thought all the pieces fit well. I want to see some sandworm-riding.

ManaByte

Should've filmed them back2back. I think I saw an article in Variety that noted that WB doesn't trust the talent they hire. Not filming both parts at the same time shows a lack of confidence/competence on the part of the studio. I read it on my phone, so can't share the link, but I thought it was a good read.

Well if you read the article above, that's not WB's call to make.

First of all, Denis told Nolan that it was too much money to shoot back to back, he also added that BR performing the way it did perhaps didn't help but he's relieved they didn't shoot back to back considering how exhausted he was after the first part.

Doom85

On another note, I can't believe another Wonder Women movie got greenlit. Low standards I guess. On the plus side, I guess they couldn't make a worse one.

That’s like saying the Nolan trilogy shouldn’t be a thing because Batman Forever/Robin were garbage. And even if one wants to argue “yeah, but this will be the same continuity”, okay but the first film was enjoyed by most, so one bad installment shouldn’t erase any possibility of continuing with hopefully a better director/writer. I mean, I‘d be disappointed if I lived in a world where Die Hard 3 didn’t happen just because 2 was mid. Besides, Batman and Superman have had 7 and 6 films (plus BvS and the upcoming Batman), Diana was LONG overdue for a few films of her own.

Especially irritating when a decade ago a dumbass WB executive said her origin was “hard to work into a movie well” when there was an animated film (by WB themselves) in 2009 that did her origin, Steve arriving, the “fish out of water” story of her in the US, Ares as the villain, etc. all pretty well, and the animated film was only 70 minutes long so I despaired for a while she would never get a film for a long while because some dipshit in charge was making stupid assumptions that contradicted a prior film that was made by their own studio. Thankfully a few years later in 2017 justice was done.

Anyway, sorry, back on topic, figured with the BO combined with whatever the streaming numbers are that this was doing well. Definitely excited to see what happens next as I never read the books or watched the Lynch film or miniseries. Hoping the story goes a little more unpredictable, it didn’t take me long before I figured most of the movie was basically going to be a “Stark family in Game of Thrones book/season 1” deal, yeah I know Dune was written first but as soon as it was mentioned Paul’s house was seen as getting a little too powerful I figured where most of the movie would go. Also when there’s so much terminology unique to this setting make sure your actors speak up, there were a few moments even in IMAX I couldn’t understand them due to low talking. Still an excellent film though (3rd for me of this year after The Suicide Squad and No Time to Die), and I’ve heard the story eventually hard subverts the usual Chosen One tropes so that should be cool.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Imagine the internet explosion if they secretly filmed part 2 during COVID and it was ready to release next month! Probably generate 100 million in additional sales for part 1 just as a double feature (which I still hope will happen).

Anyone see Kill Bill as a double feature? IT? I'm sure there were some LOTR marathons like there was for MCU but f that, my bladder couldn't handle it :p

jason10mm

Gold Member
Definitely excited to see what happens next as I never read the books or watched the Lynch film or miniseries. Hoping the story goes a little more unpredictable, it didn’t take me long before I figured most of the movie was basically going to be a “Stark family in Game of Thrones book/season 1” deal, yeah I know Dune was written first but as soon as it was mentioned Paul’s house was seen as getting a little too powerful I figured where most of the movie would go. Also when there’s so much terminology unique to this setting make sure your actors speak up, there were a few moments even in IMAX I couldn’t understand them due to low talking. Still an excellent film though (3rd for me of this year after The Suicide Squad and No Time to Die), and I’ve heard the story eventually hard subverts the usual Chosen One tropes so that should be cool.
Sorry to disappoint but since the DUNE story has basically been riffed on for the past 50 years (and I'm not sure it was terribly original to begin with) you can probably guess the broad strokes already.

The follow-on books go into crazy territory though, so let's hope someone gets to do that stuff.

Top Bottom