• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venom Movie to adapt 'Lethal Protector' Storyline?

sense

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/veno...-on-this-classic-comic-book-storyline-a154626

"In that story, Venom has made an agreement with Spider-Man that they'll leave each other alone on the condition that Eddie Brock doesn't commit any crimes. After moving to San Francisco, it's not long before Venom is tracked down by a group of super-powered mercenaries looking to take him down.

According to this new report, Venom will be shot in San Francisco for a period of time and Sony is looking to cast mercenaries for the movie. That's more than likely The Jury, the group from Lethal Protector whose armour is based on stolen Stark designs (which could link Venom to the Marvel Cinematic Universe in a very loose way). Taking Venom to California certainly helps differentiate it from Spider-Man's New York-based adventures and is a good way of paying homage to the source material. "

Also couple of possible cast additions

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/veno...ious-role-could-he-be-playing-carnage-a154663

According to THR, the latest actor to join the Spidey spinoff is Scott Haze, who stars alongside Josh Brolin in this week's Only the Brave.

The character Haze has been cast as is being kept under wraps, but this report reiterates that Carnage will be the villain, and Riz Ahmed will not be playing him. Does that mean Haze will be our Kletus Kasady, perhaps? Chances are it'll be a supporting role, but you never know.

154663.jpg

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/venom/veeps-reid-scott-in-talks-to-join-tom-hardy-in-venom-a154574

Variety reports that Reid Scott is the latest actor to be in talks to join the cast of Spider-Man spinoff Venom. The actor is best known for starring in Veep but has recently appeared in Home Again opposite Reese Witherspoon and will be seen next in Under the Eiffel Tower. Who is he playing? Unfortunately, the trade makes no mention of that but he could be an interesting choice for Cletus Kasady/Carnage!

Veep.jpg

Anung

Un Rama
My 13 year old self loved this shit. It'll be intriguing to see how they make this 90's ass shit into a movie.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Giving Carnage to a C lister just seems like a bad move. You got Tom Hardy as the lead, you want a villain to be someone near that same level. Kinda like how Cate Blanchett as Hela is a big draw for Ragnarok. Step up your casting game, Sony.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Should have done the storyline where Venom was in the jungle fighting the techno organic aliens that take over their hosts similar to the way symbiotes did.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
And they aren't just doing Agent Venom because? I mean, you don't need Spidey to make it work or anything. US gov gets it's hands on the symbiote, turns it into an organic supersuit for use on special ops and spy missions. Shit writes itself.

I can kind of get past the idea of them doing a Venom movie without any kind of origin or connection to Spidey (as stupid as I think it is) but they're gonna do Carnage as the villain? Fucking what?

So this movie is going to just be exposition central then? Cause I can't imagine they're gonna do Carnage's origin story AND this mercenary thing, but... it IS Sony... sigh

Pizza

Fuck yeah, antihero Venom is the best

Eventually Brock and the alien would bond enough and get over Spider-Man. Otherwise they’re.... what? Always stalking him forever?

One of my favorite parts of Spider-Man is how other Spider-Mans spin off of his antics and go on to lead their own lives. Kane is sick, and Venom is best when fucking around instead of chained to hating Spider-Man. He’s better as a big fuck of a foil who can have character interactions without purely “fuck you”

The guy from veep has such a douche face i think he'd make a good villain

Making venom anything but a bad guy or antihero at best would be stupid tho and an even bigger waste of a gawd like Tom Hardy

And they aren't just doing Agent Venom because? I mean, you don't need Spidey to make it work or anything. US gov gets it's hands on the symbiote, turns it into an organic supersuit for use on special ops and spy missions. Shit writes itself.

Shit still don't really work if the symbiote ain't meshed with Peter first.

Okay, that doesn't sound bad. I'm just worried how they're gonna screw-it-up.

This project is being done at the wrong damn time. Work it out with Marvel, Sony. Damn!

Sony owns the right, they don't care. The only made the deal with Marvel when it come to Spider-Man. The rest was left up to the main studio.

Giving Carnage to a C lister just seems like a bad move. You got Tom Hardy as the lead, you want a villain to be someone near that same level. Kinda like how Cate Blanchett as Hela is a big draw for Ragnarok. Step up your casting game, Sony.

This doesn’t matter. Unknown actor does not mean bad actor.

I am going against the gaf consensus, I have hope for this film.

BHK3

Banned
Shit still don't really work if the symbiote ain't meshed with Peter first.

You can explain it away in a single scene like they did with spider mans origin story. Or they could do what suicide squad did with batman and joker; show SM in a scene dealing with venom then quickly moving on.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This doesn’t matter. Unknown actor does not mean bad actor.

Didn't say it meant bad actor, but Sony already damaged the mainline property with Amazing. So if you're trying to sell a Venom movie, putting some actors with a little more buzz would get people more excited, especially if they're playing an iconic character like Carnage. You don't cast nobody actors for something like Carnage, it's a waste. Riz would be nice, but they keep saying he's not Carnage so...*shrug*

Just look at the casting for every main villain in a Spider-Man movie. Nobody is naming "the dude from Veep" alongside Willem Dafoe, Alfred Molina, Thomas Haden Church, Jamie Foxx, etc.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Easily, sure. It makes the character less interesting though. An alien that just so happens to bestow its host with powers similar to Spidey's? I guess.

Change the backstory then. Have the last person possessed by the symbiote kill Agent Venom's family or some shit like that. Boom.

Shooting web is where the similarities begin and end.

The most interesting thing about the symbiote, other than it having similar powers (webs, wall climbing, the extra strength) was its relationship with Peter. It doesn't even trigger Peter's Spidey sense.

Not saying they can't go another way with it, that's just a weird way to take this character specifically.

You can explain it away in a single scene like they did with spider mans origin story. Or they could do what suicide squad did with batman and joker; show SM in a scene dealing with venom then quickly moving on.

Can't do that if Spider-Man isn't gonna be in the movie. The way they talk about it, they're not even supposed to allude to him being in the same universe at present.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
If Haze ends up being Carnage I'll be pretty disappointed. I'd like to see them actually cast a redhead for once. We have so few redheaded comic characters, and almost every single one ends up having brown hair in the adaptations.

It may seem dumb to some, but it really does bum me out.

I still stand by my idea for the symbiote to be introduced in Infinity War like it was in Secret Wars before Venom spinned off

Disappointed its not happening but whatever Tom Hardy should be cool

Jaeger

Okay, that doesn't sound bad. I'm just worried how they're gonna screw-it-up.

Sony owns the right, they don't care. The only made the deal with Marvel when it come to Spider-Man. The rest was left up to the main studio.

I mean, I'm aware of this. And I'm saying it's a bad move and they need to work out any future Spider-Man properties with Marvel in an effort to not have their movies be critical and commercial failures.

Busty

Banned
Said it before and I'll say it again, as soon as Homecoming 2 (and the contractual obligations) is done Sony will take Spider-Man out of the MCU and fold him into this new 'Spidey-verse'.

Their plan is to have Spidey and Venom, and all the other shitty no name spin-offs, face off against one another.

Just make your peace with it now.

Reset

Because nobody cares about that Venom. People only want to see the classic/iconic one.

Alo0oy

Banned
I knew it. Sony is going to do connected/not connected to MCU thing, where they hint at it being part of the MCU even if it's officially not part of the MCU.

Why is Carnage the villain of the first movie though? The first movie should establish Venom, blowing your load in the first entry is a bad idea.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

....carnage is a c list character. He's the most one dimensional character in marvel

Top Bottom