• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(VG Tech) Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth PS5 Frame Rate Comparison (Demo)

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

The version tested was 1.000.000.

PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being approximately 2720x1530 and the lowest resolution found being 1920x1080. Pixel counts at or near 2720x1530 seem to be uncommon on PS5 in Performance Mode.

PS5 in Graphics Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2880x1620. Pixel counts at or near 2880x1620 seem to be uncommon on PS5 in Graphics Mode.

In both modes some UI elements are rendered at 3840x2160 and some are rendered at 1920x1080.

NPC animations can play further in the distance in Graphics Mode compared to Performance Mode • FF7 Rebirth Demo NPC A... Graphics mode can also improve NPC draw distance compared to Performance Mode https://bit.ly/4bAstFs

PlatformsPS5 Performance ModePS5 Graphics Mode
Frame Amounts
Game Frames3144315790
Video Frames3158331583
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames00
Lowest Torn Line--
Frame Height21602160
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time16.74ms33.34ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms33.33ms
Maximum Frame Time33.33ms50ms
Minimum Frame Time16.67ms33.33ms
95th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms33.33ms
99th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms33.33ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate59.73fps30fps
Median Frame Rate60fps30fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps30fps
Minimum Frame Rate53fps29fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate57fps30fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate56fps30fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms31303 (99.55%)0 (0%)
33.33ms140 (0.45%)15787 (99.98%)
50ms0 (0%)3 (0.02%)

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Game looks really last gen.

Yep.

Plus all the weird oddities like the many low resolution texture/assets and the bizarre thing where some UI is rendered at 4K and some is rendered at 1080p.

Kind of an amateur hour outing from Square. FFXVI looked a step up (even if the Performance mode there still sucks).

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Last gen could never run this at 60fps. Not the very linear Remake either.

This looks like a proper PS5 game to me. It has far bigger scale and twice the framerate of FFVII R on PS4 Pro. People shouldn't expecting wonders from these consoles. Not everyone is Guerrilla or ND.

Maybe you are blind or some shit but the art is ugly as hell. the animations are last gen, the enviroments look like last gen, the village everything is static as hell not even npc's seem to move, the lights are just bright textures don't cast any shadow which we already have for what now decades?. The models and enviroment looks like plastic.

I have no clue what they did but holy fuck it looks bad.

I could see the original remake make sense because PS4, but in the current date this falls short heavily.

FF15 destroys this game visually.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a softer looking image that’s above 1080p. Are they doing something weird with the anti-aliasing because I initially thought it must be running around 900p or something. FF 7 Remake looks quite a bit sharper in performance mode though it’s locked at 1440p so it may be running at a higher average resolution.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a softer looking image that’s above 1080p. Are they doing something weird with the anti-aliasing because I initially thought it must be running around 900p or something. FF 7 Remake looks quite a bit sharper in performance mode though it’s locked at 1440p so it may be running at a higher average resolution.

Per John from DF, the game uses quarter resolution on post process effects, so anywhere a post process effect is applied (eg depth of field) it'll look quarter resolution of whatever the rendering resolution is at that time ..

That probably explains your thing.

Fabieter

Yep.

Plus all the weird oddities like the many low resolution texture/assets and the bizarre thing where some UI is rendered at 4K and some is rendered at 1080p.

Kind of an amateur hour outing from Square. FFXVI looked a step up (even if the Performance mode there still sucks).

Not sure why you say the graphics look last gen, is it based on some low res character models? that happens in all releases.

The game is using an expensive real time GI lighting solution that looks great, it's not baked lighting. It's using FSR2 to reach a very clean 4K resolve, not the fuzzy/blurry FSR1 variety, along with a scale and scope that very few major releases try to tackle, the materials, terrains, texture quality is also very high.

You should watch the DF video for more on the game.

So according to you the assets in Starfield were fine and totally next gen while focusing on the scale while criticize other exclusives for the same shortcoming. Not a good look.

adamsapple

So according to you the assets in Starfield were fine and totally next gen while focusing on the scale while criticize other exclusives for the same shortcoming. Not a good look.

I appreciate the time you spent searching that post, but it would have been better if you read it first too. Not a good look.

"the materials, terrains, texture quality is also very high." - me on Starfield.

Meanwhile, the Rebirth demo is peppered with very obviously low resolution assets here and there like:

1RJXSLA.png

BU6zeON.jpeg

Last edited:

bbeach123

The game look like it could run at 900-1080p 30fps on the ps4 .

Its not bad any mean , when you had great looking game like horizon forbiden west , rdr2 , gow ,hogwarts on the ps4. But yea, look pretty last gen to me .

Last edited:

Fabieter

I appreciate the time you spent searching that post, but it would have been better if you read it first too. Not a good look.

"the materials, terrains, texture quality is also very high." - me on Starfield.

Meanwhile, the Rebirth demo is peppered with very obviously low resolution assets here and there like:

1RJXSLA.png

BU6zeON.jpeg

Some low quality assets happen with all new releases. Thar doesn't mean it isn't next gen.

Starfield had them too while being a loading fest on top of it clearly possible on xbox one I guess.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The assets in Starfield look pretty good and the environments often look great. It’s the character models that look like turds.

SkylineRKR

Maybe you are blind or some shit but the art is ugly as hell. the animations are last gen, the enviroments look like last gen, the village everything is static as hell not even npc's seem to move, the lights are just bright textures don't cast any shadow which we already have for what now decades?. The models and enviroment looks like plastic.

I could see the original remake make sense because PS4, but in the current date this falls short heavily.

You say everything look last gen, yet its at 60fps and in a much bigger sandbox. To me that sounds like what I said and par for the course for PS5.

Fredrik

Framerate seems more or less locked. 👌

Demo looks downgraded visually from trailers though. Maybe they’ve shown the Pro version previously? Or PC version?

Fabieter

The assets in Starfield look pretty good and the environments often look great. It’s the character models that look like turds.

There are assets in the game that look on par with fallout in other parts it looks fine. I just think it's strange for such a selective hate.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
On this last part I agree. Unreal sucks.

Just look at EA WRC. They went to UE and you just know a PS5 enhanced Dirty Rally 2 would've looked better than this.
Yep and performance in EA WRC is shit. I have no idea why they dropped their tried and true in-house engine for this inferior piece of trash.

SkylineRKR

Some low quality assets happen with all new releases. Thar doesn't mean it isn't next gen.

Starfield had them too while being a loading fest on top of it clearly possible on xbox one I guess.

I mean people kept ranting about wait for next-gen only, cross gen is holding grafix back etc.

How? The best looking PS5 games are crossgen. TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding DC, Horizon 2 etc. Do they look worse than something like Returnal or Forspoken? Returnal runs internally at 1080p even, its not like its a native 4k game just because its PS5 only.

Spider Man 2 looks better than Miles Morales cross gen, but not my all that much considering it came out 3 years later and its next-gen only.

Mr.Phoenix

I get the sense that this game needs 2-3 more months in the oven. I get they are trying to push it out in this fiscal year, but they really shouldn't. They should just take the time to polish this. I swear, I don't get publishers atimes.

Fabieter

I mean people kept ranting about wait for next-gen only, cross gen is holding grafix back etc.

How? The best looking PS5 games are crossgen. TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding DC, Horizon 2 etc. Do they look worse than something like Returnal or Forspoken? Returnal runs internally at 1080p even, its not like its a native 4k game just because its PS5 only.

Spider Man 2 looks better than Miles Morales cross gen, but not my all that much considering it came out 3 years later and its next-gen only.

Absolutely! Power isn't the limiting factor anymore and I think its crazy that they deliver a sequel four years after the first remake.

Minsc

Gold Member
Framerate is so good, it's worth it for me. I haven't come across the texture issues people like to post at all, but the clarity does not always look the best.

Still, personally, I'll take a solid 60fps over a solid 1440p or whatever any day of the week, if I have to choose. Of course PC/PS5 Pro to get both would be my first choice, but to me this looks a generation ahead of FFXVI due to the framerate running at 60.

Kumomeme

I get the sense that this game needs 2-3 more months in the oven. I get they are trying to push it out in this fiscal year, but they really shouldn't. They should just take the time to polish this. I swear, I don't get publishers atimes.
i wonder when they actually finished develop this game and how months they spend polishing it up.

for comparison, if i recall correctly FF16 took over a year polishing.

Its already known this demo was available to the press months ago. So iwould imagine they did indeed have a few more months to polish as you suggest

adamsapple

Framerate seems more or less locked. 👌

Demo looks downgraded visually from trailers though. Maybe they’ve shown the Pro version previously? Or PC version?

I will give it that, the performance mode seems to be at or close to 60 FPS almost all the time. Which is a huge turnaround from the FF16 Performance Mode.

Synless

Go replay 15, this is false.

shamoomoo

1RJXSLA.png

BU6zeON.jpeg
Is that a loading bug? Like UE games that use to have It?

Synless

GGDcX2cXsAA65qj

Is it Fable Anniversary?
His character model was the most jarring thing to me as well. Especially true because I’ve been watching one of my sons play through Intergrade so the models and environments are fresh in my mind.

His model in the flashback is a huge downgrade.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
GGDcX2cXsAA65qj

Is it Fable Anniversary?
I am honestly embarrassed for the devs. Like if I made this game look worse on a 5-8x more powerful console, id quit my job and live out the rest of my days working on a farm herding sheep.

This is worse than Rocksteady's efforts with SS in comparison to AK. it's worse than Gotham Knight's comparisons with AK. It's worse than Forspoken compared to FF15. Literally embarrassing. We talk a lot about woke western developers, I saw a lot of people even blaming the few fucking women working at 343i and other studios as if 5-10% of developers being female is the cause of these games flopping, but after seeing FF7 Rebirth, Dragon's Dogma, Rise of Ronin, and Forspoken, I have to wonder if the issue is due to an industry wide shortage of actual talent.

I wouldnt be surprised if there was a consolidation of talent at bigger companies similar to big publisher acquisitions leading to an industry wide consolidation. I bet all the talented devs took the highest paying job and they are all working at ND, Rockstar and other top tier studios.

S0ULZB0URNE

30 is not ideal but in most games there is some sort of motion blur and that helps.
Remake had very low, almost no motion blur so it was not ideal indeed
A mixed visuals with unlocked fps mode would be a nice VRR option or a 120/40hz somewhat.

I wouldnt be surprised if there was a consolidation of talent at bigger companies similar to big publisher acquisitions leading to an industry wide consolidation. I bet all the talented devs took the highest paying job and they are all working at ND, Rockstar and other top tier studios.
It is also possible that for example in Japan a lot of talented folks moved to Sega and Capcom.

His character model was the most jarring thing to me as well. Especially true because I’ve been watching one of my sons play through Intergrade so the models and environments are fresh in my mind.
In attempt to cuts the cost of development, they decided to aim at Nintendo graphics :messenger_tears_of_joy: But FF7R P1 graphics were really good.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Remake was designed like FFXIII, being completely linear and fully consisting out of corridors to move through. Even the explorable areas like Sector 5 and Wall Market were essentially slightly wider rooms connected via tubes. I think everyone initially expected Rebirth to follow this trend, but then past different biomes.

Square went on to make Rebirth actually a fully open world game, which I think went beyond the expectations of many. Ofcourse this comes with sacrifices. But fact of the matter is, this games scale seems massive compared to Remake. Even Kalm has more exploration and verticality than the entirety of Remake, and the chobobo farm is one kilometer of walking from it through the open world. There is nothing like this in Remake.

I think that for an open world game, developed within 4 years, the game looks fine. Its 60fps mode certainly beats FFXVI inconsistent mess to hell. And in FFXVI there was barely anything to see not to mention its world was cut off in areas. I think Rebirth is a marked improvement on that. And just maybe, they might iron out some kinks like they did with their past games. Forspoken and FFXV looked worse initially too.

adamsapple

DRS on both modes, Graphics can DRS to 1800p-2160p and Performance can DRS to 1080-1440p.
Both modes have soft IQ with Performance having it notably worse.
Game can look sub 1080p in performance mode (and sub 4K/1800p in graphics
Low quality textures and low texture filtering in general noted
Performance mode additionally has worse level of detail distance

On performance, both modes seem to do a good job hitting their respective targets
Couple of spikes and single drops seen, but otherwise stable.

bJD9gxh.png

Kilau

Have to see how the open parts look and play before we can say this could “totally run on PS4” because I find it hard to believe SE wouldn’t have released there too if they could.

Top Bottom